Have you ever “lost everything”?

Could be anything or everything that hurt you dearly and mentally. I think for me the worse feeling is hopelessness after losing 2 key people in my life.

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes I have lost absolutely everything. My wife of 25 years left me. And then lost my job. I contested nothing because she is a good woman and the mother of my children so I lost all my belongings all my homes didn't get to see my kids that much. Then my mother died on my birthday. I became very depressed I slept for about a year and then became homeless. My sister came to town went to my storage and threw all that away without me knowing it. Then I picked my ass up. Found a new and different job and have been working towards making my life fantastic nothing defeats me I adapt I overcome I'm unstoppable.

4|0
    0|0
  • when my parents divorced, my mom had a mental brakedown and got into hospital, i was left home alone, weighing 137kgs not knowing how would i earn money, how can i help mom, what should i eat or how the hell can anyone cook in this world, by the way what the hell should i choose as a carrier if there's any possibility for me to attend any school at all.

i know its cheesy, but if there's anyone in a bad situation reading this, its always the deepest darkest den where you can build yourself up to something better, there's no bigger motivation than survival, thats no bullshit. dont misunderstand, i'm not full of myself, im a noone, but i ended up with 3 diplomas, makin my phd right now, i am a CFO, and have 3 other jobs today, my body is always fit (running and working out for many many years now), despite periods i have so much to do i forgot to eat / or overeat a bit. And a few years later i "gained" a stepfather who i adore and deeply respect as my best friend and my "real" dad still. im just glad.

Dont pray for an easy life, become someone who can face all that shit coming with a smile. and help others whenever u have the chance, noone is really alone in this big puddle of mud, there are only people left alone with no direction.

if anyone came so far, forgive my long writting.

2|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Yikes! I’m sorry about that but I’m glad you’ve come a long way and thanks for sharing :)

Most Helpful Girls

• After I got married and leaving my excellant job in another country I discovered that my husband is totally a different person.
    Sex, drugs, still in love with someone else and depressed for long time.

I was the perfect girl for many guys whom were at the tip of my finger and always trying to win me over, beauty , education, virgin, good personality.
    I fill in depression and felt trapped.

A while later I decided that nothing can break me and we went for therapy. I made it clear that if it doesn't work I'm out. I won't accept more BS.

It was actually what he needed. Started therapy and he picked his life together and we are even planning to have a baby now.

It was hell but my faith kept me going and we are happy now thank god.

1|1
    0|0
  • I was in an emotionally/mentally abusive relationship for years that eventually came to threats and stalking. It took me a long time to get out once I finally realized what was happening.
    By the time I finally found a way out I had lost all my friends, just about ruined all my relationships with my family members and for a really long time I lost myself.
    It took years for me to recover and even still I have days where it’s more difficult than others.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Yikes I’m sorry to hear that! Hopefully there’s a rainbow after this rain

• 6d

There is, I have a great guy in my life, I have a few but meaningful friendships and my family’s support again. it’s taken years but I’ve gotten a lot better. like I said, some hard days but I’m able to work through them and I feel like I’m wiser and stronger for it. Or at least I’ve gotta pretned there is a silver lining to the shit storm I dealt with. 😂

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 33

• In a way, I've been in that stage for my whole life. I was born with a severe visual disability. When I was a baby, my sight was still quite okay (comparably) but then, over the years, it kept dropping and getting worse. The condition I have is incurable and leads to complete blindness on both eyes. I've known this since I was a small child and in a way, I've been waiting for this all along, hoping it wouldn't come or it wouldn't come soon. It was always like this damocles' dagger hanging over my head. In a way, it has been particularly difficult to live with this because it's something you can never get used to. It's different from an accident where it just happens and that's that. In my case, my eyesight would worsen every few months/years and just when I thought I had finally accepted the status quo and found a way to deal with it both emotionally and practically (in everyday life), things would change and worsen yet again.
    Then, about two years ago, my eyesight suddenly began to worsen quite drastically. Before that, the changes had always been slow but now I could literally feel it on a daily or weekly basis. I had to give up many things that were extremely dear to me... I can't ride my bicycle anymore, I can't play my guitar anymore (because I can't see the music sheets anymore), I can't write by hand anymore, I can't walk outside without a cane anymore... and maybe the worst, on bad days I'm not able to see my wife's face anymore (it's all a blur). My visual memory has always been bad but I feel like it has become even worse now. I can't remember what my parents or my siblings or my best friends look like, even if I've seen them just yesterday.

All of this makes me very sad and depressed. On some days, it feels as though I'm losing literally everything... like I'm losing myself. I mean, if I lose all the things I love doing, who am I then? Am I still the same person now even though my life has become far more uneventful? And how can I know who I am if I'm not even capable of recognizing myself in the mirror on bad days?
    These are some of the questions I often ask myself these days. Along with the worry what things might be like once it gets even worse. For example I'm studying at university and trying to get my Master's degree but it's getting increasingly slow and difficult to achieve this goal because of all the practical hurdles.
    So yes... especially for the past 2 years I've been kind of feeling like I'm losing everything.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh yeah. Just recently. Started with my car, then my job, my home, the love of my life, my health.. even so I refuse to give up.. I refuse to fold. I will overcome all of this, and come back stronger! >:'(

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Ugh I’m sorry about that. I had the same thing happen after losing my people. But we will get back :)

• Going through it now. Just had q colossal argument with my family and it turns out they never really liked me at all simply because I didn't choose to study what THEY wanted me to study in college and fought back every time they tried to take control of my life. So be it. I'll cut them off but it still fucking hurts inside that after all these years of trying to make them proud they turned on me in an instant.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have. When I was 30 my wife told me that we were pregnant. I was happy. 4 to 5 months later she was out visiting her mom and stayed the night. I got a call at 745 am from her cousin that my wife had passed out and was not breathing and to meet them at the hospital. I was trying to get dressed while shaking and crying and her cousin was on the phone. I hung up and jumped on my bike. I hauled ass to the hospital through town with out stopping. When I got there I had lost the 2 people I loved dearly. Later on it was discovered that she had a blood clot that traveled from her lungs to her heart. After that I started drinking heavily. I lost my mind and then my house and then my job. I have been trying to get back up after being beat the fuck down. I now suffer from chronic migraines and depression so bad that I am disabled. Most women hear that I am disabled and they don't want anything to do with me. I get money from the govt but it was not what I really wanted. I wanted to get rid of the constant migraines and be able to work. I have lost 2 jobs because of them. I have a paper trail 12 years long including neurologists. Tonight I was doing some little stuff around the house and wound up falling on my ass. So yes my friend I have lost everything. I hope that you are doing better and if you want to PM me and chat I will be here to try to help you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fortunately, I never have lost everything. I think I could come close, but my faith will still be there, so I won't lose that

1|0
    0|0
  • I have yes.
    First my confidence and optimism while i was in a bad marriage, and then all of cracks in the beautiful masks of my parents faces started to appear.

I ended up getting a divorce and merely existing with my parents. Noyhings been the same again.

It took me over 2 years to rebuild my confidence, my habits, my career.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. I have lost both my parents and that is something that one simply never gets over. That said I still have my life and the chances that come with that. To be a father, brother (or even sister these days lol), CEO, president (of a fan club) etc... I know all too well the feeling of hopelessness and only when you let that win do you truly lose everything.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im used to it. Fix these two ideas:
    1. If you have nothing, you have nothing to lose. Bob Dylan
    2. When old friends fail, its time to get new ones.

1|0
    0|0
  • I lost my brother to an accidental shooting he was 19 I lost my way after that.. I'm slowly regaining my will 😔

0|0
    0|0
  • I felt like that for almost 7 months with my ex then I finally found out I was actually lucky

2|0
    0|0
  • yes quite a few times, it's demoralizing but you gotta get back up and just go and get it all back

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, a few times. Each experience helps make you stronger, just make sure you find the right people after such a blow

0|0
    0|0
  • oh, god no. although it's possible, one would have to work pretty hard to get there.

0|0
    0|0
  • Many times get up gear up wake up and move on there is no way around it

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, it hurt like a bitch but as long as you dig deep then you can get over it!

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, my Fiance’ died 2 weeks before our wedding about 20+ years ago. Have never forgotten her.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sounds like a bit of post traumatic depression - Did you see anybody about it?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah. I have severe depression so that's basically 5/7 days a week I "lose everything". Im ok tho don't worry ^•^

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes l have but you need to get back up and dust yourself down and start again

1|0
    0|0
  • I have, it is hard but.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 19

• Im going through that now. My long time partner decuded to leave me for greener pasture. I live in a country without any family members, and the place that im renting at will be sold soon so i need to find a new place to move in to.

1|0
    0|0
  • My Grandad he was the one I spent the most time with and whom I looked up to, twenty years on u still remember the day my mum and dad came to school with a beanie bear, took me out of class, gave me it and told me that it was from my Grandad and he couldbt give me it himself because his heart had stopped working.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes there was point in my life in March/April where I felt I lost everything. Mentally was not going good. Felt like I lost myself and just needed to find myself again. Trust me if you feel like you lost everything it gets better and you will eventually feel like you have it together again

0|0
    0|0
  • Not lost everything exactly... but i have lost a lot more than i could chew in a way... I’ve had a few friends and so ask how I haven’t gone crazy yet..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I did I lost 4 people I never met.. 4 people that I love. 4 people that loves me..
    Those 4people are:
    3 of my siblings ( mother had a miscarriaged )
    My child ( I had a miscarriaged )

0|0
    0|0
  • Never "Everything."
    If One, hun, Has God in his Life, He still Has Everything. xxoo

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't lost nothing because the people I thought gave a F about me , never belong to me. Not even my family.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes... But now I feel like I'm losing everything I love and care about

0|0
    0|0
  • Several times in my life, mostly family.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've come across that plenty.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m yet to “have everything”

0|0
    0|0
  • To an extent yes. We’ve recovered somewhat.

0|0
    0|0
  • . no.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm sorry be strong

0|0
    0|0
  • Nahh

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes , my family ,

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never had anything to lose. Or cared.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Damn! That's either the most emotionally powerful aspect of your personality, or you're the ice queen: Empress of coldness.

• 7d

@tony_baloney I lack a sense of attachement.

• 7d

That's good! In most ways lol. Attachment ruins a lot of things. "You must love in such a way that the person you love feels free" I'm struggling to let that go myself.

• Physically no, hope yes

0|0
    0|0
  • When I had cancer yes.
    Everything changed after that and I was forced to grow up quickly.
    I felt it was the end of the world, I was thinking I could die any minute.
    It's so strange, when I was diagnosed until I was cured its like my previous life goals erased. But there is always light at the end of the tunnel, unless its night time..

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes