Is it typical for landlords have you fill out an application form online when you’re looking for a place to rent?

I put an ad on Craigslist looking for a place to live because I don’t know where else to look. I got good at looking at area codes on phone numbers making sure it’s the same area code of the city I’m moving to. I had a few seemingly legit offers that could work. Even got asked to be part of a polyamorous relationship lol that I don’t want part of.

I got an offer from guy. Red flag #1 is that his area code was from Dallas, Texas. I’m in Canada. #2, knowing Canada uses the metric system, he gave me the square footage in square meters. Most people in Canada use square feet. Then he asked me to fill out an application form with and name and move in/out dates. Every scammer I came across wanted me to do this exact same thing so I stopped replying to this guy. Is this whole online application form typical? Last time I rented I did have to fill out a form but it was in person.

03