What's the difference between a bunny and a rabbit?

In french we have only one word to say both, so I never understood the difference. Is a bunny smaller than a rabbit?

49

Most Helpful Guy

• Rabbit = lapin
    Hare = lievre (can't do accents on this keyboard, but you'll get it, I'm sure)

Bunny is the sort of word that a kid might use for a rabbit, and I don't think there is an equivalent word in French.

Similar to hog, swine and pig all meaning the same animal.

Most Helpful Girl

• A bunny is a cozy term for a rabbit. Rabbits are more or less domesticated. There are rabbits (lapins) and those in the wild, hares (lievre) - I omit the accent for the sake of avoiding characters that are becoming illegible.
    Hope this helps