What's the difference between a bunny and a rabbit?

In french we have only one word to say both, so I never understood the difference. Is a bunny smaller than a rabbit?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Rabbit = lapin
    Hare = lievre (can't do accents on this keyboard, but you'll get it, I'm sure)

Bunny is the sort of word that a kid might use for a rabbit, and I don't think there is an equivalent word in French.

Similar to hog, swine and pig all meaning the same animal.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• A bunny is a cozy term for a rabbit. Rabbits are more or less domesticated. There are rabbits (lapins) and those in the wild, hares (lievre) - I omit the accent for the sake of avoiding characters that are becoming illegible.
    Hope this helps

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• To my understanding, it's two different words for the same animal. Where 'bunny' addresses more to an emotional side. The English word also does not always consider the difference between ''lièvre'' and ''lapin''.

1|0
    0|0
  • As far as I know they are same, a child might say "Bunny Rabbit" and shorten it to "Bunny" - Adults will nearly always say "Rabbit" unless talking to a child

1|0
    0|0
  • Bunny is referring to a young rabbit. Like how you say kitty, puppy, girl, or boy.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think they both mean the same thing, just like the word "hare" as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • Usually think of bunnies as smaller and younger than rabbits

1|0
    0|0
  • Bunnies nibble on lettuce while rabbits are bloodthirsty killers

1|0
    0|0
  • bunny has more fur? Honestly I dont know the difference

1|0
    0|0
  • They are the same, but the term bunny comes from Easter bunny so people use bunny to use for rabbit

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Most times when I hear the term bunny, I think of a baby rabbit or adolescent. When someone says rabbit, I think of an adult of that species

1|0
    0|0
  • Nothing. Just their Breed But all of them Breathe. xx

1|0
    0|0
  • i thought bunny was just the cute name for it, like dog and doggy

1|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes