To you personally , is the omission of the truth just as bad as someone telling you an outright lie?

Do you personally view failing to declare or disclose certain information as a lie in itself?

Is withholding the truth the same as an outright lie?

To you personally , is the omission of the truth just as bad as someone telling you an outright lie?

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• The intent behind the lie/omission is what's important to me

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• No. I don't find it to be as bad. If for example someone doesn't want to share everything about their past, it's not their responsibility to tell me. And I don't find it to be lying or as bad as lying. There are some things that are just as terrible kept as a secret as lying about it, though. Mostly things that have been done maliciously and directly affect the person who it's kept from.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• Generally not. Depends on context. There's withholding important information from someone (which I would start to consider a deception) and, say, choosing not to talk about exes to your lover unless they explicitly ask with courtesy (which I'd consider "good taste"), e. g.

2|0
    0|0
    • * [...] unless they explicitly ask with courtesy [in mind] [...]

• Show All
    • I defiantly agree with you.

• @sweetiele how can you agree in defiance? Lol That word trips so many people up, and I’ve never corrected it before since it’s so common, so congrats on being the first one I’ve ever corrected :P

• That depends on the intent behind the omission and the kind of information that was omitted.

Someone omitting the fact that they are cheating, or that they have HIV is obviously a lot worse than someone omitting information about their background, financial situation, familial relationships or any other things the person believed the disclosure of was non-essential.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the situation, if its something you know the other should know it would be wrong or even cheating not to tell them. However, if someone is asking you questions you do not wish to answer not giving them an answer or giving an evasive answer is much better then straight up lying.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it is, but you need to be careful... if people's rights are harmed when you don't tell them vital info, refraid from it...
    If you avoid excessive emotion whereas in the end it doesn't make a difference in terms of respecting people's rights, it may be a good decision :D

1|0
    0|0
  • There definition of lying is "the intent to deceive". When you lie you are deceiving or manipulating someone into thinking or believing something that isn't really the truth. I'd rather know the truth.

1|0
    0|0
  • A lie is a statement meant to deceive. If you omit information to deceive someone I think it's fundamentally the same. I wouldn't lump in careless omissions though.

1|0
    0|0
  • If it is done with the intention of gaining something, then yes. If it is done out of caring, then not necessarily.

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends on your intention and the nature of the information.

1|0
    0|0
  • “I didn’t lie; I just didn’t tell you.”
    By omitting information, you’re no longer being transparent.
    A lack of transparency hampers communication, and destroys the safety that is expected in all close knit relationships – be they friendships or romantic partnerships.
    Hiding the truth is by a definition, a lie.
    Of course it also depends on the circumstances as well. If they are for instance not talking about their exes, unless they happen to still be best friends, then that would not be a lie to me, it would be something that I didn't really want to know.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes , it is how politicians spout their deceitful BS !

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 5

Recommended myTakes