Would you accept to be friends with someone who has hurt you badly?

Recently a guy who did things that hurt me a lot came to tell me he is sorry and he wants us to be friends.
I told him that I can't fully accept the apology because even though I may forgive him I can't trust him anymore, so if he really wants us to be friends he should give me time yo see if he's changed as a person and trustworthy.
What would you do in such a situation?
I did accept to be friends, not good friends though, but if he wants my trust then he needs to work a lot on proving me he is changed as a person.

2131

Most Helpful Guys

• He should respect that and if he doesn't then it's about him now isn't it. A woman posed essentially the same question the other day about how she hurt a guy years. ago and now she wants to be his friend and he ignores her. And what can she do to make him like her. I said "you dont"! you don't get to hurt someone then decide when they should be over it. And if you truly cared about them you would just simply say i'm your friend, i'm here for you, and i hope one day you'll find it in your heart to forgive me. and leave it at that.

• well trust is part of being friends. it's earned over time.

• I literally had another friend wrong me and she said the thing you said in the end. The only thing I wished is that she would have tried harder to earn me back, it was a bit unclear for a while.

• Lol, from the reading, the older we get the less tolerent we become. I agree, once a pot got cracks, it will never be the same. I would move on. You can even try n forgive him but... will you really enjoy his company remembering what he did? Add to that, are you sure he won't do it again? the first time was on him, but the next time will be on you.

• I'll give him the chance to prove he is different now and he grew up. I already told him that if he is my friend then he should understand why i don't trust him as much. I won't give him a third chance, because as you said, i am to blame if i keep allowing it.

• Just ask yourself this question. Is he worth your time? don't feel like you need to do it because it is the "right" thing to do.

Most Helpful Girls

• Depending on what your definition of "hurt" meant. If it's an ex who hurt you in the past, I'd say be careful and don't fall for his trap.

If it's someone who's mean to you because that's the way some boyish guys play with girls that they like, then I'd say be careful as well, as he could be a potential player.

• If you don’t feel like you can accept their apology just yet then I think you need some time to decide if a friendship with this person is even worth it. They might end up hurting you again , & if he can’t wait for you to make up your mind on a friendship then he is not a friend.

• I am thinking the same on the last part, that is what i told him actually, that if he really wants to be my friend then he should understand my hesitance. The point is, i will probably forgive him eventually, i can't force it, but you can't simply say sorry to someone and expect them to trust you like before instantly. That is why i meant by not fully accepting it. I may give them a chance to prove they are a different person, but I don't want them to expect things to be exactly like before without me making sure they are trustworthy.