What to do to become less cautious driver?

Here is the thing... I've only been driving maybe 2-3 months. That is legally speaking... when I was younger I was a rebel kid so when I was 11 I would take the car and drive lol. However... so far as legally goes it's only been recently. Sadly my dad is dead so it's just me and my mom. My mom is a restricted and panicky driver. She doesn't drive anywhere besides works, grocery store, my school, or near by places. I tried driving on the high way and it was scary as f**k. I am somebody who doesn't like danger and I'm also a perfectionist. I have to set my GPS to avoid toll roads and highways (illness traffic plus is safer). The problem is I drive like my mom right now... actually scratch that I drive better than her. I'm not afraid to drive far. The thing is I'm a very cautious driver but that also has to do with cautiousness because the drivers where I live suck. All these damn Yankees and Californians keep moving and it's like they're during it into LA. The people here do not signal when they turn, are too aggressive and fast, are always on their phones, the pedestrians on college campuses are morons who walk on to incoming traffic, and most don't follow the speed limit. I actually signal all the time, double check when murging, and am not reckless. The complaint a friend has "you're actually a very good driver but the thing is you're slow". I actually drive the speed limit if not 5 miles under the speed limit. Maybe 10-15miles less if it's raining badly and is effecting the way I drive. Also they kept telling to to speed or beat yellow lights and I wouldn't do it. I actually slow down when it's yellow. Also, I driver our family's old 97' car and it drives differently than modern cars and a lot of people won't understand that. I break more, I can drive fast but not too fast (both instinct and car consideration) plus it's so old that even mechanics tell me to get new cars lol. What can I do to become less of a "cautious driver" or "driving like somebody's grandma"?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• Being safe is good, but when you start driving under the speed limit you become a hazard. Refusing to keep up with traffic isn’t safe, you’re just an obstacle.
    I’ve driven all kinds of vehicles including cars way older than 97 and commercial trucks, your car can keep up just fine

0|0
    0|0
  • The best thing to do is blend in with the traffic. Drive just like everyone else. That means driving the same speed limit to keep a safe and continuous distance between each car. But if the drivers around you are crazy then it might be better to drive on the side such as the right lane. You don't have to take risks to make others happy. If you're not comfortable making that left turn because there is still oncoming traffic, just wait. The cars behind can honk all they want. You are the leader. And practice.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes