Is natural selection a fact?

13

What Girls Said 1

• I believe it is. Female animals mate with strong males so the chances that males that are not so strong procreate is not that good

• 1d

Also animals and people adapt to their environment to procreate

• 1d

@MrKinktastic no kidding didn't know seals did that. I was watching a documentary on lord knows what but they had squids in it and this the male snuck past the dominant male that was already mating with the female and he disguised himself as a female and started and the alpha male thought he was going to get really lucky because hey 2 females! And while he was courting the disguised male the disguised male mated with the female also. So the genepool got pretty mixed there.

• 1d

With nature more or less what works ends up being the result because of natural selection. Anything that doesn't work gets eaten or doesn't get to reproduce enough offspring :P

In that case I'd say intelligence/sabotage was the evolutionary advantage that was significant enough to make it through all the generations of seals (or squids).

Also in lots of species, like spiders, the female is much bigger than the male so its an entirely different ballgame.

I wouldn't mind watching that documentary, that sounds nifty.

What Guys Said 3

• I'd say a fairly established one. It's pretty observable in nature where if a condition changes it will eliminate a certain portion of the population leaving behind only those best adapted to survive it. I don't think its all there is to evolution but its certainly part of the mechanism.

• Yes. However, with our advanced medical knowledge and possibilities, I believe that humans are fighting natural selection among ourselves. Ethically, we should save those who can be saved, but we are also robbing ourselves of the chance to further evolve.

• Yes it is.