Should most guys know how to repair machinery, change oil in a car. Would you think less of a guy if he didn’t know?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes for the first question. Slightly yes for the second. I also think girls should know how to do it.

I think the ability to repair cars and other things, and the ability to grow food, should be a graduation requirement for high school. People learn that Prince so-and-so married Princess so-and-so 800 years ago, but they haven't learned extremely basic skills like how to repair things or grow their own food.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think less of a guy who doesn't, no.

But, I think having those skills can make you more appealing, or at least more of a go to guy.

Jumping a girl's car when she's stranded or offering to do particular repairs when she complains about quotes she got is actually a really good way to get her number :)

Also something like eighty percent of the time I talk about my car (only when she brings it up, cause I'm not that guy) and I mention it's a stick, it leads to her asking for a ride or to teach her or something. Yet another skill that a man can use as relationship ammunition.

I do think though there are a few basics every man needs to be aware of that I kinda tsk tsk if I see them failing at. Like how to tie a tie or which side of the car their gas cap is on.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone should know how to do basic maintenance on their own car. Has nothing to do with having a penis. It's about knowing basic adult skills and saving money.

1|3
    0|0
    • Are you really saving money though? An oil change typically only costs $20. The median earner in the U. S. makes $27/hr.

So, if an hour of your time has a monetary value of $27, and it takes you 2 hours to research, and another 2-3 hours to perform the task (because you aren't a professional), then you are out at least $108. Whereas simply paying a professional would've cost you $20.

This is why he have a currency in the first place: so each member of the society can choose a craft to specialize in, earn money, and trade that money for the product of another's craft. It is more efficient and less costly for both if a corn farmer and a wheat farmer trade amongst themselves, than if each of them were to learn how to grow both corn and wheat.

• Show All
    • Lol shops love inflating stuff here. They wanted close to fifty bucks to just MOUNT my dad's snow tires to his forester after they did a transmission repair this year.

I literally laughed at them across the counter and said let's go home I'll do it in five minutes.

• @Azhirii I mean, I get it. You are paying for the convenience. Like delivery pizza. You aren't paying for pizza. You are paying to have large quantities of cheap food brought right to your home. If you actually want good pizza you have to go out, buy the ingredients, and make it yourself.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• I don't think it should be expected of anyone to be proficient at something solely on the basis of their biological sex. You could very well make the argument that an adult must know how to maintain one's own vehicle, and how to repair other mechanical belongings one might have--in order to be self-sufficient. However, if that were true, it would be true regardless of sex. As in, it would be equally true of females.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you own a car, you should know basic stuff like changing oil and tires. My mom learned from her dad and my sister learned from ours.
    And being at least vaguely familiar with your car helps avoid getting scammed by mechanics

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it’s important for all people to have curiosity about how things work, and to take initiative to understand them. Along the way you’ll obviously learn how to fix them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think everyone should at least try to look at something and see if they can work it out themselves before saying "I can't do that! " People are too quick to quit these days.

0|0
    0|0
    • Why? Don’t get me wrong I understand you always need to take a look but I’m not technical I would just make it worse and more expensive to repair in the end.

• @astyv hello. That may be the case, but thinking like that is already saying to yourself that you can't fix it. If we can't fix something we can't, and we need someone that can. I think society is being dumbed down as a whole, not enough practical experience. But have a go and I think you would surprise yourself in that you can do way more than you realise.

• Any man that can't change the oil in a car, has to be retarded. Yes I would be worried

1|1
    0|0
  • This is sexist just like expecting a woman to cook and do laundry.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not every guy is gonna know these things, but they should if they're gonna own a car.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would hope every guy knows how to do that but I know some don't.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, not all guys are mechanics!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they should

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Nah I fixed my ex boyfriends car for him lol if he doesn’t know how to do these things it’s not his fault just a lack of knowledge no problem

0|2
    0|0
  • Well nobody is born knowing how to do auto mechanics LOL

0|1
    0|0
  • No...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes