Why do I need a receipt for a donut?

I bought a donut and they gave me a receipt for the donut. I don’t need a receipt for the donut. I’ll just give you the money, and you give me the donut, end of transaction. We don’t need to bring ink and paper into this. I just can’t imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a donut. Some skeptical friend: “Don’t even act like I didn’t get that donut! I got the documentation right here…oh, wait it’s at home…in the file…under “D”. Why do I need a receipt for a donut?

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Yeah, this is a good point- it should be entirely paperless (also for tax purposes, if applicable) for those that do, and perhaps one should only be issued if the customer specifically asks for it. Real waste of resources.

1|0
    1|0
  • Mitch Hedberg was a genius. R. i. p. I'd like to see a vending machine that sold vending machines. It would have to be really really big. Haha

1|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 41

• You never know if an officer will see you and pull you over saying “ma’am, did you steal that donut?” in which case you will smirk subtly and quickly pull out your shiny receipt and say “no officer, donut paid for.”

1|0
    0|0
  • Consider the worst case scenario. If you're a suspect in a murder that happened while you were buying the donut, you have an alibi. It has time stamped on it too you know... 😂

2|1
    0|0
    • Oh my God now I'm always going to get a receipt...

• Show All
    • That’s a fair point. I always use my debit card though so I have a paperless record.

• I should have thought of this sooner though, lol. I watch Law and Order 😅

• You are right, but the thing is there are people out there who will claim they took a donut to work for the table at a meeting or something and want to claim that money back so they need to do it.

A lot of shops here know nobody wants it and will ask if you want the receipt if not they don't print one.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you think they over charged you or gave you the wrong change, how would you prove you’d even bought it?
    If you waited till you got home to eat it, and found it full of rat droppings or glass, or some other nasty, how would you prove where you bought it?
    A receipt is simply proof of purchase.
    I get your point completely, but hope you get mine too

1|0
    0|0
  • 1. Write offs.
    2. Could be a requirement by the donut shop. No receipt could mean no ring up. I have worked on several cases where employees skipped the ring ups, kept track of those sales, and then pocketed the money.

2|2
    0|0
  • This is the funniest /best post I've seen all day!!
    Kudos to you

2|0
    0|0
  • This sounds familiar pretty sure I read this before
    It is just the way of things
    You purchase something and you get a receipt it is irrelevant what it is
    And who knows maybe it will be useful at some point
    Like hey no I wasn't in that part of town murdering that guy because I was over in that other part of town getting a donut and here I have a receipt with a time stamp to prove it...
    Here we have an app that gets you an electronic receipt instead of a paper receipt but only from stores signed up for it but there is quite a lot of them so not bad

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's mostly for bulk orders like if you ordered a dozen of a certain flavor and got the wrong amount or the wrong flavor you could be like "my receipt says this and you gave me the wrong thing"

1|0
    0|0
  • Receipt generally is the document wizth the least data used, its not enough for cost documentation nor for VAT deduction in most countries. its purpose is documentation on spot, to prove that the seller will pay taxes for that transaction.

1|0
    0|0
  • Many places are required to give or offer a receipt. It is also a good practice by a business. It ensures that the items were actually rang up correctly and that the cashier did not void the transaction and pocket the $.

2|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes you give to places like work and reimburse you but agreed, it is such a small price unless you go to dunkin donuts where they are like a dollar a donut, they never used to be that expensive at least I don't think they were..

0|0
    0|0
  • Hahah yeee gunna do the rest of the show backwards yeeeaee

1|0
    0|0
  • Company policy. Its' central to every retail companies' policy to waste paper by offering receipts for everything.

1|0
    0|0
  • Honestly, always printing them is wasteful.

Paper/plastic/etc should always be by request at restaurants and food stands. Our consumption is going to kill our society.

1|0
    0|0
  • Receipts are needed by businesses for tax purposes. So it's a legal requirement to have documentation for every sale.

1|0
    0|0
  • People claiming food allowance at work. Certain lucky individuals get to claim back what they spend on their working lunch and receipts are needed.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because its common practice to give a receipt for ANY goods purchased.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you ever get food poison that's your claim proof

2|0
    0|0
  • In case of something wrong, it's proof that you bought it.

1|1
    0|0
  • Did they stop you at the door to check your receipt? Lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • It ruins the simple delicious Donut experience
    Disgusting!

1|0
    0|0
  • Receipts serve as proof that a transaction happened and record the terms of that transaction. This can protect both the buyer and seller in the transaction. If a purchaser wishes to return or exchange an item their receipts shows that the item (s) was purchased from that vendor and not another, when it was purchased and for how much and in what form it was paid for.
    What if you consume part of it because it was contaminated or bad in some way?
    What if a suspect matches your description and rather than waiting for them to catch the right person, bamm you show them where you were.

1|0
    0|0
  • I hate people who insist on that, I’d like to just beat him in their driveway with a tire iron. And then jerk off on his corpse.

0|0
    3|0
    • It sounds like you've done this before

• Show All
    • I knew it was familiar, just thought it was taken from CK’s Shameless where he talks about being behind someone with a bumper sticker that says “tell your wife I said thanks”, and like “what if I’m just sitting behind him getting mad following and beat him to death with a tire iron in the parking lot... and then jerk off on his corpse.

I didn’t need the jerking off on the corpse bit, I could have left it at that” etc

• I’m all about comedians from the golden age of the 90’s to mid 2000’s.

I highly doubt CK’s been out murdering. He’s been jacking off but that’s far less a matter of life and death

• For business people where they can deduct expenses when donuts were purchased for a client

1|0
    0|0
  • "This donut has a fly in it!"

"How do we know you bought the donut HERE?"

0|0
    0|0
  • Case you don't eat it or if you eat it their you can't get blamed for stealing

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it's so unhealthy it'll make you feel like a tattoo chick, you'd want a receipt

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a Simpson's donut

2|0
    0|0
  • You didn’t sleep last night did you? Lol.

1|0
    0|1
  • Mitch Hedberg?

1|0
    0|0
    • No question. What’s your favorite joke from him?

• My friend said, "You know what I like? Mashed potatoes." I was like, "Dude, you gotta give me time to guess."

And

Alcoholism is a disease. But it's like the only disease you can get yelled at for having. "Damnit, Otto, you're an alcoholic!" "Damnit, Otto, you have lupus!" One of those two doesn't sound right.

• You know, people think I'm into sports just because I'm a man. I'm not into sports. I mean, I like Gatorade, but that's about as far as it goes. By the way, you don't have to be sweaty and holding a basketball to enjoy a Gatorade. You could just be a thirsty dude. Gatorade forgets about this demographic. I'm thirsty for absolutely no reason. Other than the fact that liquid has not touched my lips for some time. Can I have a Gatorade too, or does that lightning bolt mean "no?

• Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 16

• They gave you a receipt because they never know who’s going to be a psychopath and make a big scene if they don’t.

I once saw a woman curse out the employees at a dunkin and threaten to call corporate for not giving her a receipt for one donut that she paid for with pocket change.

Better safe than fired over a crazy person.

0|0
    0|0
  • They are just doing their job. Just in case you think they charged you the wrong amount or something or didn’t give you the right change

1|2
    0|0
  • They're legally required to give you a receipt. If they don't they can get in trouble for not keeping track of purchases. Most places ask if you want one but I guess the place you went to gave you one without asking.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe if there was a locked restroom in the donut shop, and you might have to present proof of purchase to use the restroom? I've seen a café that does that.

0|1
    0|0
    • For me personally, I would take the receipt, look at the breakdown of the price (s) to make sure I was charged with whatever prices they said.

I keep the receipts for salads that I ordered, because I've found that on the receipt it would print my order correctly, but the actual salads won't have what's ordered.

• Maybe if you didn't get the right amount of donuts or something happened to be wrong with your order? Idek 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • Contractors use these reciepts for their taxes. Anything they get while "on the job" they can claim during tax time. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • In case people do budgeting or put the payment under a business account to claim back gist or something?

0|0
    0|0
  • So you can see how much they charged you & it's on paper.

1|0
    0|0
  • I always get receipts when I buy stuff. That's the norm. It proves that the transaction happened.

1|0
    0|0
  • Pretty

0|0
    0|0
  • Lmfao!!! 😂

1|0
    0|0
  • Do they charge extra for the recipe?

1|0
    0|0
  • Ugh😂😂
    I want one now!

0|0
    0|0
  • 😂😂😂😂😂 I just hollered!

0|0
    0|0
  • What?

0|0
    0|0
  • In case you get accused of stealing, you have proof that you made the purchase.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes