Did I destroy a family, Because I called 911 on a parent that left her infant child completely alone in the car?

I went to a bakery shop, When I got into the parking lot I was upset when a I saw an infant child completely alone in the car no adult supervision just one window half open. The mom was inside the bakery shop. I called 911 right away I felt concerned about that baby. I am not a mom yet but for a reason strollers , baby carrier are made for a reason. I got real angry the mom hated me but apparently a stupid cake is more important to her then her infant child. Did I do the wrong thing on calling 911 on her?

0|4

Most Helpful Guys

• Seems the right thing to do if she had come back to find him gone she would have been mad at others not reporting a kidnapping hopefully this way she will think twice in the future!

2|2
    2|1
  • You did the right thing, you did not know what the mom was doing she might of been placing a special order which could of lasted a while, rather than a quick dash in which case she could of left the car running. You could of gone into the store and asked who left a child in the car, but she probably would of gotten angry at the ladie who thought had to call the cops for leaving the child in the car a few minutes, and it wasn't a quick dash because it takes a few minutes for the cops to arrive. You might of saved a child's life in the future, hopefully she won't leave his child in her car in the future, or other kids she might have.

0|3
    0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• What? A bakery? That takes what...5 minutes? Where do you live that this is not normal?
    In Belgium (where I live now) it's completely normal to leave your kids (even babies) in the car when you're doing something that would not take a lot of time (going to an ATM, the bakery, the post office,...) if the car isn't far away and can be watched a little. If they're a bit older, you can leave them in the car for longer and further away, 'cause why not? My mother also used to put me and my brother in some kind of bike trailer and left us outside in it if she had to run errands.

In Iceland (where I lived), it is perfectly acceptable and even a habit to leave a baby in a stroller or pram outside a store, coffee place, ... you name it. It can get pretty cold in Iceland, so when someone passing by thinks the baby looks cold, he or she just asks inside whose baby it is and whether they have an extra blanket.
    I have never seen or heard of anyone calling the police for leaving an infant outside for 5 minutes, especially not if you know where the mother is. Just ask the mother if you're concerned? I don't believe the cops would ever show up for such a call in Belgium or Iceland.

0|0
    0|1
    • 3d

I live in America and I am a proud white citizen

• Show All
    • 3d

A crime lol Hey I didn't cross the border. Well good luck I am an American and in America you are free to express your freedom of speech. I didn't intrude inside your country illegally lol of course first I know I would need a passport. You are so stupid yeah you are going to report me to a country that I don't live in and the police from your country can't take
      action here in America because first they need to have the authority and do a legal documents nice try Bitch lol.

• 3d

@Awsomedudever
      I think you're not aware that this site has rules as well, not only countries.
      "Our caring community does not support malicious content, people come to GirlsAskGuys to get help, not to get hurt. This includes posts that would be considered offensive to either a large group of people or attacks aimed at other specific members on the site."
      I consider your posts offensive to 'a large group of people', namely 'immigrants', 'moron Latinos', and non-whites, which is why I reported your comments.
      Goodbye.

• Parent or not, you did the right thing. There have been so many cases around the country where parents have literally forgotten that their child was in the car and that has led to their death. We are talking about someone who is helpless and cannot call for help themselves or unlock a door to get out if they were in trouble.

I can tell you as someone who used to work for a children's museum, that a child locked in a car had the police/ambulance at our facility within mere minutes because it IS that serious.

Taking care of ones children and their health and safety is a parent's responsibility. I guarantee you that every single person saying you overreacted would be the first ones to blame the parent for negligence had the child died, or someone tried to kidnap the child or other harm come to it by being left alone.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 30

• The problem isn't with having a child in a car unattended: It depends on the age of the child. Being 10 or 15 isn't the same as being 1 or 2.
    The asker said the woman left an INFANT in the car.

You never leave your infant alone ANYWHERE in public for any length of time!

2|2
    0|0
  • I wouldn't call 911 because like you said the window was down. But, I would stay there to make sure the baby was ok until the parent got back and then charge them for babysitting and tell them next time to not be so stupid.

1|3
    1|0
  • As the father of three kids, I can tell you that even when it is not hot in the car, it is a bad idea to leave a baby alone in one, even for a few minutes and even if the baby is sleeping peacefully and you can keep your eye and the baby and the vehicle. I would personally never do such a thing, but I think I would only have called 911 in that situation if it was hot or the baby otherwise appeared endangered.

1|1
    1|0
    • You are a great wonderful father my respects for you Sir. I have a 3 year old son and I would never live my little guy alone in the car. As a father I feel that ever child should be taken care of properly.

• @Awsomedudever: Thanks, and agree with your thoughts.

• This is a reflection of our extremely dramatic hair on fire culture but you might be right from a legal sense.

They probably went in for a few minutes and knew they'd be fine... they'd be fine unless some idiot broke the window and stole the kid. That same idiot could pull a gun on them and steal the kid as well so I don't see any perfect option. It sounds like they made a calculated, rational risk.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think technically you did the right thing as well arguably she should have known better but the chances are nothing would have happened so I can understand the mothers anger at you. I think you might appreciate her actions more when you are a mum.. nobodies perfect and you as a mum won't be either

1|0
    0|1
  • It’s an overreaction for sure.

Don’t kill yourself bur don’t do it again. They do that all the time. Everyone does it.

I leave a window open and nothing happens at night. If someone breaks in is it my fault or the burglars?

2|2
    0|2
  • so you called the cops on a mom daring to get some bread from the bakery, leaving the kid in the car? isn't that a bit overkill?

3|4
    0|2
    • Children die when left in a car on a hot day and temps can reach 120 degrees inside a locked car.

• There was no mention of it being a hot day nor does it take more than 5 minutes to buy bread.

• @DublinRollerGirl the temps in the car are like that if the mother is there or not. just saying xD

• You did nothing wrong! You did the right thing. The woman deserves whatever comes her way.

2|2
    0|2
  • if i knew where the mother was i would've walked in and told her that her baby was outside and unattended to and that you were worried about the child being left alone... before calling the police.

1|0
    0|0
  • No the mom was a dumbass and should lose her child for being so neglectful

2|2
    0|1
  • Is it really a thing that Americans do?

In Britain that would be considered a waste of police time.

You know where the mother is.
    She's getting a treat for the child.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah it's a thing here now. Glad I grew up long before all this safety age bs.

• If a child is in serious danger like near a large drop or alone in a crowd of people then maybe you should be concerned but when you know where the mother is and it has only been a few minutes that is no reason to call the police.

• I don’t know the legalities when it comes this specific situation, so if someone knows please correct but I’m sure if you see a situation like that, you can bust open the window of the vehicle to get the child out of there. Obviously, this all is under the belief that it’s very hot outside and the child inside the car is under the risk of getting a heat stroke or other serious conditions. I don’t believe you did the wrong thing at all, you saw a potential horrible situation and you acted in the best way you could. I don’t think you “destroyed” a family by doing what you did.

0|0
    0|0
  • There was a case here where a mother left her child in the car to run inside the house for a moment. Unfortunately she'd left the car on a sloped drive that led down to the river. When she came back the car was gone. Only later was it discovered that the car had rolled into the river, the child drowned. The mother hadn't set the handbrake.

Extreme example but things can go wrong. The McCanns left their children alone while they went over the road for dinner. Madeleine McCann was abducted and never seen again.

Just the other day a car was stolen with a 1yr old child inside.

Better to possibly overreact and potentially avert a disaster than do nothing and read about it in the papers the next day. Infants shouldn't be left alone, not if you value your kids.

0|0
    0|0
  • You did the right thing by saving the baby from possible serious matter occurring don't feel bad for your right thinking.

0|0
    0|1
  • Well, you have put her into troubles, but if it was the only thing she made, I don't think it will destroy her family.

0|0
    0|0
  • That depends on the weather or danger at that moment.

0|1
    0|2
  • You did the right thing. You may have saved the life of an infant.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all. You were a responsible citizen

2|3
    1|1
  • Yeah you're a moron

2|2
    2|4
    • 1. Don't make assumptions about people

2. She doesn't have children herself

• Show All
    • You are only 19 years old, No one is going to take you seriously.

• You did the right thing.

0|1
    0|1
  • You over-reacted

1|1
    0|2
  • No you did well. She needs to learn

0|3
    0|1
  • You overreacted. Unless it was an heatstroke.

2|1
    0|3
  • I think you did the right thing.

1|1
    2|2
  • You did the right thing

0|1
    0|1
  • Yes.

1|0
    1|1
  • You may have saved a life.

0|0
    0|0
  • NO! You didn't destroy the family you potentially saved a child. If she did it that time she will do it again. And just imagine had that been a hot care or she got car jacked. I called CPS on the neighbors because their house was unfit for their little girl to be living there. Though I knew it was bad, I saw the condition of that house now that the new tenants are in there and I have no absolutely no regrets of calling CPS on them at all. You did the right thing absolutely you did.

0|1
    0|1
  • Maybe too quick in calling the cops, I think I would have waited to see if the mother showed back up within 10 minutes and then called the cops if she didn’t but if she did show up I would tell her how stupid she was was and that I was about to call the cops, at least she would not get in trouble this time and not do it again

2|1
    0|0
  • You did the right thing, What kind of idiot fucking parent does that. I mean to go get bread shit! She doesn't deserve to be a parent.

0|1
    2|1
    • How else is she supposed to get the bread?

• Show All
    • @Nachowedgie How would you know? I don't know what country you live in but here in the U. S. It is illegal to live a child alone in the car much less a baby.

• I very much doubt that

What Girls Said 11

• No, I don't think you were over reacting. The mother should be happy there are people like you and in stead thank you for your concern. Even though there was no direct danger and the window was down, unsupervision is still dangerous. The child could have been taken, and anything can happen. Don't be too hard on yourself for being responsible.

0|2
    0|0
  • You did wrong, there's nothing wrong letting a child 5 mins outside to get a cake. It's much better to let the child in the car than taking it out and bothering people inside the shop with the baby.
    Letting a child alone for 5 - 10 min in a car when it aren't the summer is ok.

You should have waited like 15 mins before calling the cops, calling it right away was not a good things to do.

1|3
    1|1
  • The whole issue is this. If there was no harm done to the child, being left alone, the police should take no action. If they do take action, it is because the mother did wrong. If the mother was in the wrong, then the asker took the right action. It is all very logical.

At least the mother (hopefully) will not do it and risk far worse consequences to the child.

0|0
    0|0
  • In some places a person can break a car window to save a child and not get in trouble for breaking it. It can get really hot in a locked car, even with a window down a bit, like 120 degrees. It doesn't take long for a baby to overheat and die. Plus the baby would be easy pickings for a kidnapper.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ehm that a little extreme to call the police over that! Don't you think they have something better to do?

0|3
    0|0
  • You did the right thing don't worry. I think it's always better to handle "to" fast rather than doing nothing and then maybe regret it later when something bad happens.

0|0
    0|0
  • How did you know the mom was in the bakery shop?
    Was it a hot day?
    What happened after you called that would lead you to believe you destroyed a family?
    I personally wouldn’t have got involved... but did you or did you not have real concern for the kid? (Or did you just wanna punish the mom for being aloof and careless?) ... dunno, but doubt it ruined anyone’s life or family. But if the woman was upset with you and said anything, then fuck her. Tell her to fuck off and be glad someone was looking out for her kid.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes you did.

0|1
    1|0
  • Nope. You did the right thing.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes you did you immoral bitch.

0|0
    0|1
    • 3d

Then you are an idiot and a selfish shitty parent you don't deserve to have kids. You must be an illegal immigrant only fucking illegals like you do that and expose the child into danger. Please used protection while you have sex I don't want no babies coming out of your vagina. Poor kid doesn't deserve a fucking idiot moron mother like you. Keep your fucking legs close!

• Show All
    • 3d

Please stop breaking marriages and spreading your legs to older man your nasty hairy vagina in exchange of money You whore!

• 3d

You fucking moron I am white I fallow the laws in my country, Only immigrants do that they make felonies break the law. You sound like an illegal immigrant if you are please go back to what ever fucking country you came from you fucking disgraceful piece of shit. Apparently you are always breaking the law since you say that babies should be alone in the car. Please keep your vagina to yourself you won't get the green card lol

• I wouldn’t have called the police, I think that may have been a little extreme. I probably would’ve waited around though to make sure the baby was okay.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes