Did I destroy a family, Because I called 911 on a parent that left her infant child completely alone in the car?

I went to a bakery shop, When I got into the parking lot I was upset when a I saw an infant child completely alone in the car no adult supervision just one window half open. The mom was inside the bakery shop. I called 911 right away I felt concerned about that baby. I am not a mom yet but for a reason strollers , baby carrier are made for a reason. I got real angry the mom hated me but apparently a stupid cake is more important to her then her infant child. Did I do the wrong thing on calling 911 on her?

1332

Most Helpful Guys

• Seems the right thing to do if she had come back to find him gone she would have been mad at others not reporting a kidnapping hopefully this way she will think twice in the future!

• You did the right thing, you did not know what the mom was doing she might of been placing a special order which could of lasted a while, rather than a quick dash in which case she could of left the car running. You could of gone into the store and asked who left a child in the car, but she probably would of gotten angry at the ladie who thought had to call the cops for leaving the child in the car a few minutes, and it wasn't a quick dash because it takes a few minutes for the cops to arrive. You might of saved a child's life in the future, hopefully she won't leave his child in her car in the future, or other kids she might have.

Most Helpful Girls

• What? A bakery? That takes what...5 minutes? Where do you live that this is not normal?
    In Belgium (where I live now) it's completely normal to leave your kids (even babies) in the car when you're doing something that would not take a lot of time (going to an ATM, the bakery, the post office,...) if the car isn't far away and can be watched a little. If they're a bit older, you can leave them in the car for longer and further away, 'cause why not? My mother also used to put me and my brother in some kind of bike trailer and left us outside in it if she had to run errands.

In Iceland (where I lived), it is perfectly acceptable and even a habit to leave a baby in a stroller or pram outside a store, coffee place, ... you name it. It can get pretty cold in Iceland, so when someone passing by thinks the baby looks cold, he or she just asks inside whose baby it is and whether they have an extra blanket.
    I have never seen or heard of anyone calling the police for leaving an infant outside for 5 minutes, especially not if you know where the mother is. Just ask the mother if you're concerned? I don't believe the cops would ever show up for such a call in Belgium or Iceland.

• 3d

I live in America and I am a proud white citizen

• 3d

A crime lol Hey I didn't cross the border. Well good luck I am an American and in America you are free to express your freedom of speech. I didn't intrude inside your country illegally lol of course first I know I would need a passport. You are so stupid yeah you are going to report me to a country that I don't live in and the police from your country can't take
      action here in America because first they need to have the authority and do a legal documents nice try Bitch lol.

• 3d

@Awsomedudever
      I think you're not aware that this site has rules as well, not only countries.
      "Our caring community does not support malicious content, people come to GirlsAskGuys to get help, not to get hurt. This includes posts that would be considered offensive to either a large group of people or attacks aimed at other specific members on the site."
      I consider your posts offensive to 'a large group of people', namely 'immigrants', 'moron Latinos', and non-whites, which is why I reported your comments.
      Goodbye.

• Parent or not, you did the right thing. There have been so many cases around the country where parents have literally forgotten that their child was in the car and that has led to their death. We are talking about someone who is helpless and cannot call for help themselves or unlock a door to get out if they were in trouble.

I can tell you as someone who used to work for a children's museum, that a child locked in a car had the police/ambulance at our facility within mere minutes because it IS that serious.

Taking care of ones children and their health and safety is a parent's responsibility. I guarantee you that every single person saying you overreacted would be the first ones to blame the parent for negligence had the child died, or someone tried to kidnap the child or other harm come to it by being left alone.