Do you think people with mental health issue have a right to adopt children?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I think it depends on what type of issue, and whether they have a demonstrable history of proper self-care or not. I've seen disabled parents raise perfectly good kids, etc, so if they can show that they are worthy, let 'em do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I dont think anyone has a "right" to adopt children, especially if they can't be trusted to act right.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It would definitely depend on the mental health issue.

As long as its manageable (either through meds or other activities), and doesn't pose a threat to yourself or a child, then I dont see why it should inhibit anyone!

0|0
    0|0
  • I would not want a mentally unstable person to be able to adopt a child. If they can't take care of themselves how can they take care of a child?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Depends on the issue. If you were to ask about a person with depression I would say that there isn't an issue.
    If you were to ask me about someone who has Schizophrenia that was uncontrolled, I would see an issue.

0|0
    0|0
  • I depends on if they are capable of taking care of themselves and then capable of taking care of a child. I don't think its not possible and I'm sure it has happened many times already. The main issue is just the safety of the child. Past that, there is nothing stopping them from being loving parents

0|0
    0|0
  • "Mental health issues" covers a broad spectrum of people that would include paranoid schizophrenics and manic-depressives as well as people with mild phobias and obsessive-compulsive disorders. People who are psychotic should not be allowed to adopt.

0|0
    0|0
  • depends what it is. i think it's a good thing bc sometimes mentally ill people are afraid to have children due to the possibility of passing it down to them, so adopting is the next best thing.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the severity of the mental health issue... for instance, a parent with very mild schizophrenia that's being treated thoroughly could probably still work.

0|0
    0|0
  • Difficult to answer, and depends on the severity of the mental health issue. I don't think anyone has a right to adopt, but that being said if it is better for the child then why not?

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they don't, or if they do I don't think an agency would let them adopt. It's such a ridiculous process that it wouldn't work out for them.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as they take their meds and aren’t a danger to the child nor to themselves, I think they should have a right to adopt.

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess that really depends on which mental health problems they have and if it would effect the raising of the children and their ability to be responsible.

1|0
    0|0
  • You need to tell us what mental health issue you are talking about. There are many.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, if they are capable of taking care of themselves
    if their mental illness makes it to the point they can't
    care for themselves than they shouldn't have children.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who’s to say you can’t get a mental health issue After you adopted... yes I do if you are capable to be a decent loving human being by all means adopt!

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably if they are not on meds, and can pass a behavioural examination. That states they are mentally sound.

1|0
    0|0
  • It shouldn't disqualify people unless the issue is really bad.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is very complicated & sensitive subject but I would have to say? It depend on what type of mental health issue they have.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the severity of the mental health issue.

0|0
    0|0
  • No they shouldn't.. Hence I will never be able to adapt

0|0
    0|0
  • No one has the right. You have the privilege to adopt. That goes for everyone.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they must not deprived for adopting a child

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as they are capable of caring for themselves as much as they care for the child, yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Neither should they have the right to reproduce.

0|0
    1|1
  • Yes and no. Depends on the disability

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the illness

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know... great question.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|0
    0|1
  • Depends on the severity.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is not the best for the children

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • We are not allowed to adopt children.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the issue in question and its severity.

0|0
    0|0
  • They should start with dogs or any pet

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends, say BPD, NPD and the like, absolutely not

0|0
    0|0
  • Good question. No.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes definitely without taking the class

0|0
    0|0
  • nope

0|0
    0|0
  • If the problem is not really serious

0|0
    0|0
  • They have a right to apply for one, but, you're not automatically promised a kid just because you applied. Noone is entitled to anything

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends. If their being treated for their mental health and have It under control then I don't see why not. Why adopt when you can make one instead?

0|0
    0|0
    • Some may not want to pass down their disorders, which I find honorable.

I still want my own kids despite having some pretty serious issues.

• Most mental illness are not heredity. Only like bipolar and schizophrenia

• And people with those disorders probably dont want to pass it down

• Depending on how severe their issues are and what type of issues, if it’ll affect the child in a negative way then no, they shouldn’t be allowed to.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. What if they abuse the child? I personaly know of someone who was like that.

0|0
    1|1
  • No they shouldn't be allowed.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes