What’s the most obscure word you know?

I see some pretty horrific spellings of words on GAG each day, so out of curiosity, I’m wondering: what’s the hardest [English] word you know off the top of your head?
What’s the most obscure word you know?

Rules
— Must be off the top of your head. No dictionary or online searching.
— Must be able to define word, but you don’t need to write the definition out.
— Feel free to downvote a post if you know the word. Upvote if you don’t know it.

Example: Let’s say I put “proselytize,” and you knew the definition (“advocate for a belief”), then you’d downvote my post. If you didn’t know it, you’d upvote my post.

MHO goes to most obscure (upvoted) word!

2|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• Google bait #lodestar #mikepence

I purposely avoid using unique words on social media.

Remember the “lodestar” cited in the Russia Probe. Everyone thought Pence leaked because he uses this highly uncommon term.

0|0
    0|0
  • sesquipedalian

4|4
    1|0
  • Anthropomorphization

3|2
    3|3
    • 6d

Agh I know I’ve heard the word before, but I can’t remember what the meaning was.

• Show All
    • 6d

I remember that from philosophy and I think anthropology. Great word though. *If cows believed in gods they would draw themselves*

• 4d

I think it might be the other way around. Giving animal traits to humans. At Furries conventions, they all dress up like animals.

• Antidisestablishmentarianism

2|3
    0|4
  • Terpsichorean- relating to dancing

2|4
    3|1
  • Antidisestablishmentarianism.

2|4
    2|4
    • 6d

Haha will shit. I googled that to see what it means and came across (are you ready?) Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia 😂 Okay breathe while you say it

• Show All
    • 6d

Hahahaha

• 6d

The book would just be one long word lol. No but I saw this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-V6FHWYtcg

• Like missipp lol missippiss

0|0
    5|1
    • 6d

Mississippi? lol

• Show All
    • 4d

I looked for the song online and can't find it.

• 4d

@FunkyMonkee Oh for sure.

• loll I think ‘zygote’ Idek what it means😔

1|0
    3|4
  • Lol It's Not Master, I Know, Joe. xxoo

0|0
    0|0
  • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

1|1
    1|4
  • Mastication

1|0
    5|4
  • Discombobulated. That's off the top of my head

0|0
    5|4
    • 6d

I use it with friends as a joke. It’s fun to say :D nice one though.

What Guys Said 21

• Apotheosis.

Most people who try to pronounce it for the first time have trouble figuring out which of the syllables to place the stress on.

4|1
    1|3
    • 6d

Surprisingly, I know this one, but only because it was a vocab word in prepping for the GRE. Solid choice though.

• 6d

@dangerDoge I first came across the word when I was reading some rather dry, academic text on the works of H. P. Lovecraft, the writer and creator of the Cthulhu mythos. I'm not sure whether it qualifies as "obscure" though. I just like the sound of it.

• Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis ,
    I was talking about this word with a friend a couple days ago, we were talking about something and we ended up Googleing long words. Apparently it is some sort of lung disease. This is what I had off the top of my head but I copy pasted it cause I was too lazy to refer and type out the entire word.

4|2
    0|2
  • Electroencephloneuromentipmograph. It's the name of a medical test device.

3|2
    1|0
  • "Ridicilious". As a foreigner I can't write it even once without looking in a dictionary.

1|1
    4|3
    • 6d

Ooh the word “ridiculous?” Yeah, I imagine that could be hard to remember the spelling for if learning English. A good amount of people make the “u” (like “ooo”) sound more like a short “i” sound (as in “ill”)

• 6d

Exactly! :D

• Jaguarundi.

Definition, a type of wildcat that looks more like an otter.

3|2
    0|1
  • Who knows... I could hit you with all sorts of biology and chemistry argot that would addle your mind, but then you'd just be like this is stupid I'm going home...

0|0
    0|0
  • Pmma (plexiglass) or Polymethylmetaacrylat... I like to say it fast...

0|1
    1|0
  • Antidisestablishmentarianism

2|2
    2|3
    • 6d

Although I can break down parts of the word, I can definitely say I have absolutely no idea what it means.

• Show All
    • 6d

What does that mean?

• 6d

Typically it might be used to describe a political standpoint: One which resists the breakdown of establishment values.

• Hydrochlorothiazide comes to mind

4|1
    1|3
    • 6d

Scientific terms haha could be a long list!

• 6d

@Cin88 Oh yeah I bet there's much worse. This is a medication I've commonly seen patients using though. I'm always like -____- fuck I'll write HCTZ

• 6d

Lol! That’s much easier hahaha - whoever came up with these words are just showing off.

• Absquatulate

4|2
    0|1
    • 4d

I can't believe someone else came up with that word. You must be a Twain fan.

• 4d

Lol I completely forget where I heard it from but when I did I was like "no way on God's green earth is that a word" and I looked it up and it was one and I was amazed

• 4d

He [Mark Twain] has vamosed, cut stick, absquatulated; and among the pine forests of the Sierras, or amid the purlieus of the city of earthquakes, he will tarry awhile…

• Callipygean perhaps.

A delightful word.

2|1
    0|1
  • absquatulate

0|0
    0|0
  • Corpulent

0|0
    0|2
  • Ophthalamia

0|1