Would you say my goals in life are realistic or unrealistic?

The minimum lifestyle I would be content living would include:
- working in some sort of artist position at any game studio
- having weekends off, and working between 40 and 50 hrs/week
- having an attractive, loyal, affectionate, and compatible life partner
- no kids
- no pets
- loft style, one bedroom apartment in the city, within 10 min drive of some sort of restaurant plaza and shopping center
- new car
- having enough left over money to have a gaming rig and home theater setup with the best specs on the market (and keep updating them as technology advances)
- having enough left over money to order take out at least once a day

What do you think?
  • Realistic
    Vote A
  • Unrealistic
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• Realistic but should be open for some changes as life never goes exactly as planned. Like if you find the perfect partner but she wants a cat, you probably should deal with the cat as finding a partner like that is hard.

0|1
    0|0
  • Unrealistic because life often doesn't go as planed and you habe to make compromises but this doesn't mean you can't fight for your goals

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds realistic to me. You can achieve this 🌸

1|1
    0|0
  • Depend in how much time you want to achieve them. If you want to achieve them quickly it's unrealistic if not it's realistic.

0|0
    0|0
  • Realistic

0|1
    0|0
  • What I’ve learnt is that what you want to do in life is only achievable if you believe it is. Big or small, so if you believe that you can achieve those goals then you definitely can.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• The old saw has it that life is what happens to you when you are making other plans.

Frankly, I have no notion of what being an artist in a game studio would net you in terms of income or lifestyle. However, right off the bat, the economy is changing under your feet.

The idea of a steady 40 hours a week job is slowly eroding. Contract jobs of limited duration are slowly but surely becoming the norm, particularly for younger people such as yourself. The tade-off is that you make better money, but your tenure not only is not assured, but it is set to end after a particular project is completed.

As to meeting the right person, people are imperfect. The more you idealize the person of your dreams, the more apt you are to overlook the gem staring you in the face. "With all thy faults, I love thee still."

Oh, as to no kids. That is more and more the norm as the nation's aging population and declining birthrates illustrates. What happens, though, if your otherwise perfect partner decides, a couple of years in, that she wants to be a mommy? People change, and as Keynes said, "When I see that the facts have changed, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

Once upon a time that was the standard. We now have a divorce rate, fewer marriages, and relevant to you, a decline in dating in no small part because people are expecting nothing less than their ideal. In a culture that is increasingly self-absorbed and self-pitying, you may expect to be judged as you are judged. That also is a bad starting point.

As to living in the city - pricey - add to that a new car - pricey and impractical in a city where parking and insurance are likely to be at a premium. Of course, much depends on the city. NY? That better be one high paying - preferably permanent, i. e. not contract - job. Indianapolis. Entirely plausible, assuming that there is a game studio that is hiring artists who want to work 40 hours a week.

As to the rest... details, details. If you can afford a car and a one bedroom apartment in NYC, carry out dinners will be a breeze.

Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with goals - yours are certainly benign - and it is good to work toward them. Assuming that you ARE working toward them and are not just sitting at home imagining your perfect life. You cannot will the end and not will the means to the end.

That all said, to use another cliche, man proposes and God disposes. Hold on to those goals, but be prepared to be flexible. Do not overlook the good in pursuit of the perfect. Especially given that the perfect can often, in the fullness of time, fail to be perfect and might even, it turns out, not be really what you want.

The lack of realism in your goals is their almost punctilious specificity. Defined so specifically and narrowly, that particular combination of circumstances will be hard to find and - because of that - you may miss the good things that come your way as you wait for the ideal.

There is nothing unworthy in your goals - and your goals may be broadly attainable given the right combination of your ambitions and particular circumstances. However, the wisest course is to hold fast to your dreams but to take life as it comes.

It is an artful balance and the hardest to attain. However, it is, by far, the most realistic goal.

0|1
    0|0
    • 6d

I would be fairly comfortable with contract work, job-hopping, and potentially working from home.--I just don't think I could handle working more than 50 hrs per week.

Southern California is almost the only place in the United States where there are even game artist job opportunities. It's an industry that is pretty much exclusive to the region. That said, I will be moving out and attending university there (either Los Angeles or San Jose, depending on which of the two schools I choose). I will likely settle in either Los Angeles, or a nearby city like Santa Monica or Irvine.

Having no kids is probably the only thing on my list that is absolutely, 100% non-negotiable. I've never been more certain of anything in my life. Of course, I understand the importance of making my position abundantly clear from the beginning. If what you mentioned does happen to occur, my only option will be to start over with someone else. In fact, I will likely be getting a vasectomy as soon as I can find a surgeon that will have me--so that my partner is made aware that it is simply not an option, even if she could somehow get me to change my mind.

I wouldn't characterize myself as lazy. I have a perfect GPA, 31 ACT, and 1270 SAT. Although my portfolio isn't finished, what I have so far seems competitive compared to the accepted portfolios I've seen.

• 6d

A few quick point.

1) Was certainly not accusing you of being lazy. Heck, I don't even know you. I was simply saying that it can become a problem when we spend so much time pondering our dreams that we forget to do the things it takes to reach them. In that context, I offered more a simple reminder than an admonition about your character.

2) If California is where you must be, then expect that you are going to have a rough go. Silicon Valley is doing well enough, but the state is fast losing its middle class and - particularly as your living conditions go - rental and home prices are rising and cars are public enemy #1 of the state government.

It is not that those goals are unattainable, but they are not going to get easier to achieve. Californians are famous for loving their cars - as Los Angeles traffic jams amply demonstrate - but with the passion for "green technology" and all the rest, taxes on cars and gasoline and all the rest are going to go up.

Bet on it.

3) As I say, I know too little about the game industry to speak with any specificity. That said, typically contract jobs stipulate a minimum number of hours but you work whatever the employer says that you need to work. Given that contract work is project oriented, that usually starts at 40 hours and skyrockets as deadlines approach.

Not for nothing are the economists saying that the 40 hour work week is increasingly a thing of the past. Gosh knows, as true for the old economy as the new. Don't worry about it, but be prepared.

4) Finally, as to kids, that's your choice. As the proud and very happy father of three, I can't say I share your sentiments. That said, as I mentioned, certainly the declining national birthrate suggests that the culture shares your views. As I say, I only hope the lady of your dreams does too.

CONT.

• 6d

In any case, as Alistair Cooke said, “In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. So it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were designed in the first place: the opportunity to do good work, to enjoy friends, to fall in love, to hit a ball, and to bounce a baby on our knee.”

• > working some of artist position...

Yeah possible

> Having an attractive...

Perfectly possible

> No kids

Easy to do

> No pets

Easy to do

> Loft style...

Sounds perfectly doable

> New car

Perfectly doable

> Having enough...

Well, expensive but if you have no kids, doable

> Take out at least once a day

Can be unhealthy, but doable

I'd say they are all doable

0|1
    0|0
    • 6d

Yeah, I was hoping that my decision not to have kids would help pay for some other lifestyle choices. It isn't really a "loss" for me, because I just don't have paternal instincts to begin with.

On the take out point, I would be sure to choose somewhat healthier types of food, like Indian food, Mexican food, Chinese food, BBQ, etc. rather than just greasy burgers and pizza all the time. Besides, hopefully I will continue to lift every other day to help balance it.

• I don't do polls...
    That said, it's way too structured. You cannot put your life into a little box. Broaden your horizons a bit and accept how things will turn out - trust they will be okay or better.
    And some of that is just downright petty, and juvenile. A man's brain doesn't fully form 'till about 25, so you got some time to work things out. Trust me on this.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty realistic, you just need to work towards it, the flinging that specific job part is the hardest part

0|1
    0|0
  • nice and cozy there lol..
    add vacations, 1-2 per year
    keeps the wifey happy you know

0|1
    0|0
  • "- working in some sort of artist position at any game studio
    - having weekends off, and working between 40 and 50 hrs/week"

If you plan on working in a startup company that makes mobile games and will steadily go bankrupt in 2 years, sure.
    But if you ever plan on working in a high-profile studio, that is a pretty optimistic expectation.

Most people who work in the gaming industry either don't earn a lot of money or work a lot, and by "a lot" I mean that they have a side-job such as tutoring (either personal, or selling tutorials) or selling their personal works on marketplaces.

If you want a comfortable life with anything video game related, you have to expect to be rather entrepreneury.

I know people who worked at DICE, Naughty Dog and The Coalition only to quit and sell tutorials and personal work because it is the more reasonable thing to do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Game design doesn't usually pay that well, so totally unrealistic.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

You may be confusing game art with game design. They are not the same thing. Game art is supposed to be the most practical of the two, as many, many more of them are needed in a studio. They aren't the ones who come up with the ideas, they're the ones who carry them out by drawing them and making the models.

• Show All
    • 6d

You literally just repeated everything that I just told you myself and restated your original claim of "the salaries are bad" despite literal statistics I provided to the contrary.

I am fully aware that there are plenty of obstacles in the game industry, but salary is not one of them. It is high risk, high reward. That's the point I was making.

• 6d

All I restated was that it was hard to find a job. The rest was about why it sucks as an industry. Did you skim past that part?

• realistic

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes