Which is better? Gas powered vehicles or electric vehicles?

Seems like gas powered vehicles are more convenient because if you run low on gas, you just fill it up. Electric vehicles are more efficient but you can only go so far before your battery needs to be charged which can lead you stranded somewhere and when you do charge it up, you have to wait maybe 30 minutes to an hour or even more to continue on with your trip but at least you save money on gas and oil.

What do you guys think?
  • Gas powered vehicles
    Vote A
  • Electric vehicles
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Electric are a crock of shit. People that are all for them seem to think that electricity comes from wall outlets, just like the animal rights whackos that think meat is made in the grocery store. Apparently the electricity just magics itself to the outlet. It doesn't require power plants that burn coal, oil, or natural gas. Nuclear power produces nuclear waste, which isn't a massive problem until the greenies whine and won't let it be stored anywhere. Then there are the batteries for the electric cars. The resources have to be mined, and they're not common. And the super toxic batteries eventually have to be disposed of.

Electric vehicles aren't an option for those of us that live somewhere that gets this thing called 'winter'. Cold kills batteries. And electric vehicles don't have the power to get through snow.

It's going to take a lot of innovation and improvement before electric vehicles are anything more than a way for the coastal liberals to feel good about themselves.

0|3
    1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Hopefully, in time, better batteries will be developed so we can recharge them in the same amount of time that it takes to fill up a tank with gasoline. As we know, electric cars are better for the environment and (eventually) we'll use up all the natural oil and gas on our planet.

It would be nice if cars could be made that use both solar energy and electric power. Maybe they could have a solar panel on the roof and on sunny days, the car can be "recharging" while we're driving down the street. On cloudy days (or at night), the car could use the backup electric power. 😉

I saw a segment on 60 Minutes that talked about eco-friendly biofuels and those can be used in our current vehicles! The biofuels are better for our environment and we can produce them right in our own neighborhoods (rather than being dependent on foreign nations for our energy)! 😊

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• As a car junkie myself it pains me to say, electricity is the future of the automobile... comparing the output by gas cars and electric cars... gas cars take a larger toll on our planet...75% in fact. That's a lot. If all those cars were electric global warming wouldn't even exist. Plus manufacturers are still so open and curious to the design and aesthetic possibilities that can create with electric cars... Really am gonna miss the snap crackle pop of supercars exhausts though...

0|0
    0|0
  • Electric, any other option is just based on a stupid preference. Electric vehicles are better for the planet and accelerate faster. Uoi don't need to drive 500km a day so the range isn't that important, though a Tesla lasts for at least 300 or 400, i don't remember exactly. Plus, electric cars don't make noise, they won't bother the whole neighourhood.

0|0
    0|3
    • I regularly drive 500 MILES in a day. And electric cars won't make it through snow. AND, the cold of winter kills the batteries. It does it with batteries in vehicles that run on petrol, too, but there are ways around that, and once the vehicle starts you're good. Not so with electric.

Better for the planet? So the trucks and mining equipment that mine the rare metals that go into the batteries for electric cars, those must run on sunshine and goodfeelz? And the highly-toxic batteries with a short service life, those must just disappear into thin air when their life runs out, right? They don't have to be disposed of, just given a kiss and *POOF* they're gone?

Electric cars are currently just another method of virtue signaling for liberals. If the technology vastly improves, that will change, but they're not a viable option for anyone other than city-dwellers in places that don't get winter.

• Show All
    • Just because you live in a city doesn't mean everyone does. There are a lot of us that don't, and won't.

They're not competing. At all. Maybe for city-dwellers that are too lazy to walk a couple blocks to work and the local grocery, but for anyone that has to go further than an hour away, or who might need to haul something, or lives where winter is a thing, they're not an option.

An airplane is worse for the planet in a day than my truck will be for its entire life.

You are still trying to ignore the mining and processing of the rare materials that go into electric cars, as well as disposal of the highly toxic batteries.

Yes, they will improve. They pretty much can ONLY improve, because it's not like they could get much worse.

Oh, and they do NOT accelerate faster. A Tesla might, but comparing a Tesla to a Honda isn't a valid comparison. Comparing it to a Ferrari might be a better comparison.

Until electric vehicles can go thousands of miles on one charge, can compete on not only range but speed and acceleration (most electric cars get their best range at around 30 kph... who the hell wants to drive 30 kph?), have the power to haul, have the power to get through snow, and don't get their lunch eaten by winter, they will continue to be the realm of city liberals who want to feel good about themselves.

I think you're going to have to wait for micronized cold fusion, personally. Electric vehicles aren't going to be able to compete with piston driven or turbine engines so long as they run on batteries. As soon as they've got a fusion power plant, OTOH, oh boy, it'll be on.

• You don't make 300 mile an hour... and you don't travel that distance daily. You only travel by plane a few times a year or less.
      90% or more don't travel more than the range of electric cars probide, plus it is technology that has been developed recently so it will get better. And you don't change the bateries everyday, but gas fueled cars pollute daily. I would have a Tesla anyday if i could afford it. Plus, you can travel by electric trains long distance. I assure you they last.

• Gas powered vehicles, longer range than electric vehicles, plus they can be modified to run on bio fuel. Electric vehicles seem like a environmentally good alternative to gas powered vehicles, but their not as they require lithium batteries to make them useful. Lithium is a limited resource that will eventually run out so it doesn't make sens to waste the resource on cars when it's needed for electronic devices.

0|1
    0|0
  • Electric vehicles are probably now if you live in a warm climate and never leave the city. But the technology is still a long way from having any appeal to me.

And I’ll never gas powered vehicles completely, building and racing vehicles is my biggest passion. EVs are nothing more than an overgrown appliance

0|0
    0|0
    • You DO understand that EVs can accelerate faster than gas-powered vehicles, right?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPejf1O6_mo
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnRQD1jRyfQ
      The physics of EVs is such that they can always be beefed up to accelerate faster because higher voltage potentials will ultimately lead to higher torques. With gas engines, that's more difficult because you need more cylinders.

• Show All
    • You'd think that right? Except that NHRA rules probably currently bans them. But that will likely change:
      autoweek.com/.../nhra-ready-welcome-electric-vehicles-dragstrip

• @abc3643 There aren’t any sanctioned classes for them, but there are a lot of people running cars that don’t fit into a class. Most people just race for the fun of it; you can run an EV, you just can’t win any money with it.

• Gas powered if you want convenience and need to get somewhere that has no way to charge or even wait to charge up. More reliable too. To many problems with electric right now until they have a better battery life and faster charging systems you can’t go more than 300 miles and then it takes time to charge if you find a place along your route. I know Tesla is working hard to make more charging stations so we will see

0|0
    0|0
    • If i had to go 300 miles with the car i would rather take a plane...

• Show All
    • See? That is my point, they are better for daily use even with the current technology. They will get better in yhe future

• @emmily2396 I know, it’s just the cost that keeps me getting one, but I would always want my 4 wheel drive suv around as a backup

• Until electric vehicles can do what I need them to do and are affordable to purchase and maintain, I’ll keep using gas powered vehicles. I’m a Rancher, and I hardly think electric vehicles are up to the job, and probably won’t be for a while.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'll take gas, all day and every day. I just don't care for electric vehicles, they don't get me excited.

0|0
    0|0
  • As of today gas. Electric are catching up -fast- though and will likely shoot past them.

0|0
    0|1
    • They're slowly inching their way forward.

• Show All
    • As long as electric cars have to lug batteries around, rather than producing their own electricity, I doubt they'll be able to compete with piston driven or gas turbine engines. And they won't be a serious option for those that live somewhere that gets cold until someone manages to break a few laws of science and make batteries unaffected by cold.

• @Barrabus_the_Free the thing is the battery is almost all they’re hauling around as electric motors are so dead simple.

As for the weather - the country with the highest proportion of purely electric vehicles is Norway.

ICE will hang on for a long time in rural areas but vanish in urban ones. My guess is the shift will happen faster than people expect.

The real question is whether self driving works. If it does people in urban areas likely won’t own their own cars.

• electric because... save the planet xD

0|0
    0|2
  • Gas.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes