If you died today, how would you be remembered?

Photograph from a funeral of a young man who made a big impact on others
You are going to live forever, right? Me, too! I will definitely outlive all of my siblings and most of the friends who are my contemporaries. We are impermeable fortresses! Of course, you realize that this thinking in entirely unrealistic. . . right? With thousands of users on this site, the odds are that at least one of us users will die within the next month.

I recently had an experience that made me believe that I might have a fatal illness. I have an excellent primary care physician and an excellent specialist who guided me through the evaluation process. Last week, I submitted to an extensive biopsy procedure under general anesthesia and I just got the results that all 62 biopsies were negative. I will be celebrating with my girlfriend tonight.

While awaiting the results, I thought about my eventual death and how it might impact others. How would others remember me? WOULD they remember me? Did I use my time on Earth to make a difference in the lives of others? I reviewed my activities and accomplishments and I concluded that I have made a difference in the lives of many young people. Some of them have told me so, very directly.

If you died today, how would your family and friends remember you? They might say nice things about you at your funeral, because that is just what people do at funerals, but after the funeral. . . what would they think about what you did with your life? Would they remember you fondly? Would they think you wasted your time? Would they think that you may a lasting difference in the lives of those whom you touched?

2339

Most Helpful Guys

• Before answering, let me say that every adult should have a will, especially the older adults or people with spouses and children. Even if you have nothing, it makes things easier. It's very easy to do. Mine took about ten minutes at my local library web site. It's not a fancy will, but it will do the job.

To answer the question, people will think my life was a waste, that I should have done much more with it. They will also think, with a bit of envy (more than one has actually said this)

And now, the end is near
    And so I face the final curtain
    My friend, I'll say it clear
    I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
    I've traveled each and every highway
    But more, much more than this
    I did it my way

Most Helpful Girls

• I think the people who knew me would remember me fondly, by I don't think I have made a significant difference in the lives of other people. That thought has passed in and out of my head on occasion. Thank you, for helping me remember that. I will look for ways to make a difference, starting right now.

• It is never too early, and never too late, to be concerned about how you will be remembered. Build your legacy and you will have self-esteem.

• I’ve given a lot to a lot of people in my life. I’m not sure how people see me or how I’d be remembered but I do know I would be missed.