Do more people adopt big dogs or small dogs?

When I adopted my dog from the rescue, I already knew I was looking for a small dog.
I live in a small apartment unit, and I wanted a smaller dog so that the dog wouldn't feel cramped in.
I mean, I considered other factors as well.
Just as important for me was that the dog's energy level matched my own, and I also knew some breeds are better suited to apartment-living than others.

I have, however, wondered whether more people adopt smaller or bigger dogs.
Sometimes, as irrational as it may seem, I feel bad for adopting a smaller dog, as I equate that with bigger dogs having a harder time finding fur-ever homes.

What do you think? Are smaller or bigger dogs more popular nowadays?

From Right to Left: Bigger Dog, Smaller Dog
4d
I suppose another interesting question would be whether more people adopt male vs female dogs. From personal observation, I don't think most people in Western countries have a very hard preference in regard to male vs female dogs.

1213