Do more people adopt big dogs or small dogs?

When I adopted my dog from the rescue, I already knew I was looking for a small dog.
I live in a small apartment unit, and I wanted a smaller dog so that the dog wouldn't feel cramped in.
I mean, I considered other factors as well.
Just as important for me was that the dog's energy level matched my own, and I also knew some breeds are better suited to apartment-living than others.

I have, however, wondered whether more people adopt smaller or bigger dogs.
Sometimes, as irrational as it may seem, I feel bad for adopting a smaller dog, as I equate that with bigger dogs having a harder time finding fur-ever homes.

What do you think? Are smaller or bigger dogs more popular nowadays?

From Right to Left: Bigger Dog, Smaller Dog
From Right to Left: Bigger Dog, Smaller Dog
Updates:
4d
I suppose another interesting question would be whether more people adopt male vs female dogs. From personal observation, I don't think most people in Western countries have a very hard preference in regard to male vs female dogs.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Good question. I'd say small dogs. I'm basing that on the people I know personally.

People tend to avoid adopting certain breeds of adult large dogs.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not a dog person at all but my boyfriend is. He used to have a big dog and when we will move in together, he wants to adopt a new dog and only wants one that is big since he doesn't like small dogs at all. I'm actually scared of big dogs lol so I prefer smaller ones. but where I live, I do definetely see more people with bigger dogs than smaller ones.

0|1
    0|0
    • 2d

That's completely natural. It makes sense for you to be afraid of a dog large enough that it could knock you over. Compared to a 7 pound dog that looks about as threatening as wet flannel.

• 2d

Hahaha, yes exactly my thought! I'm glad you understand haha

• It depends on the type of person, area, and Financial stability of the potential owners. Having a dog whether you buy them or adopt them, or even have one given to you is a big responsibility. Most people these days usually by smaller dogs because they're far more manageable, and they don't really cost a lot. I have Saint Bernards, and no matter where you go there are expensive regardless especially when it comes to vet bills. But their family and their worth it. If you just don't have the heart to take care of them. Or you don't have time to give them a lot of attention, no matter what your reasons are. You better off just not having a dog. I remember a person was saying something that a pastor had said concerning about animals and people who wants to date and marry. If the person cannot take care of a dog 9 to 10 times they will not be able to take care of you. And that is definitely the truth. But usually in areas such as suburbs and rural areas. You would want to see people with medium to large sized dogs and sometimes small dogs. But in big cities, or small towns, it's usually a lot of small dogs to medium dogs. Large breed definitely cannot be in apartments.

0|1
    0|0
  • I personally like bigger dogs as they are more protective and they are also easier to train. Smaller dogs and frenchies are more energetic therefore harder to train, tho this isn't the case with some small dogs.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know, it's hard to say. It probably depends on where it is. I mean in a big city with lots of buildings real close and not much yard space, I'd assume small dogs are preferred. Whereas in smaller towns in more rural areas, with bigger yards and more bigger animals around, I'd think big dogs would be preferred. And I don't know overall...

0|1
    0|0
  • Strongly depends on the individual, their living conditions, people they live with, etc. Personally, my dog is medium to large. She's a border collie mix. Some people just have particular breeds they like and others just want a dog to fill a void. Others really don't care, and they just love dogs.

0|1
    0|0
  • I never really cared if I have a male or a female dog. But, almost every time I get a dog, it's a big dog.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd say most people adopt small dogs but it's not necessarily because they don't like big dogs. Most people, at least in cities, live in apartments that aren't big enough to have a big dog.
    I have a small dog and I do love them! But I would also like to get a big dog someday, it's just impossible because there's not enough place here, that'd be cruel and uncomfortable

0|1
    0|0
  • I like small dogs.. since it is much easier to care 🤔 , big dogs usually want as protector or guard dog only

0|1
    0|0
    • 4d

Well, technically a small dog can be a protector.
      But, if a burglar were to enter my house, my small dog would most likely just look up, then go back to sleep.

• i allways had big dogs... so i stick to them

currently i got a newfoundland dog wich is the size of a calf :)

0|1
    0|0
  • I like that little one on the right
    What kinda dog is that? Do you know?

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the type of bread the person wishes to adopt. I'd adopt a medium-sized dog but I'm more a cat person.

0|2
    0|0
  • Where I live, I definitely see a lot of big dogs, specifically people in my age range (20-30). I’ve noticed the popular breeds are Labradors, Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, etc. I’m happy about it honestly. I personally have a big dog which wasn’t the smartest decision because she might be mixed with an “aggressive breed”, so living is more difficult (Just my decision to not live a complex with restrictions, but I could probably get away with it because she’s heavily mixed) and I am moving to an apartment, but she’s a couch potato as long as she’s exercised 2-3 times a day.

0|1
    0|0
    • 3d

Yes. I can't remember all the breeds that are considered "aggressive" and thus not allowed in apartments, but if yours is heavily mixed, you should be fine. The place where I was staying checks by doing a DNA test for your dog.

• My house is on the smaller side so I tend to stick smaller dogs the size of a cat or a tad smaller. I favor miniature pinschers. My current is a rescue believed to be part Dachshund and chihuahua

0|1
    0|0
  • Personally, the wife likes her frenchies. But I prefer a bigger dog. In my experience they are easier to train & provide more of a protective aura.

0|1
    0|0
  • I suppose it depends on where you live, big dogs big space small dogs small space. I like how the picture is captioned even though the dog sizes ate clear haha.

0|1
    0|0
  • I love big dogs so I would adopt a big one for sure

0|1
    0|0
  • I've noticed more small dogs around, but that might just be the neighborhood. When I lived elsewhere, I noticed more big dogs.

0|1
    0|0
  • I personally hate small dogs, they to me aren't dogs.

0|1
    0|0
  • That pic reminds me of the two dogs I had in HS, their relative sizes being about that.

0|0
    0|0
  • little dogs

0|1
    0|0
  • Small.

0|1
    0|0
  • Big I think

0|1
    0|0
  • I like big Warrior dogs