"HONESTY'S THE BEST POLICY! " ... or is it? Are there times when LYING is the right thing to do?

I really don't think even the most honest person in the world can not find honest reasons to lie sometimes.

EXAMPLE: During World War II, many french citizens, and those in other countries, hid people in their homes from the Nazis. When the Nazis then came to their door and asked them if they knew were the people they were looking for were, should they have told them, "Oh, yes, they're upstairs hiding?"

Would it have been justifiable lying to tell them, "No, we haven't seen anyone like that around here"?

I think there are many reasons to justifiably lie for legitimate reasons... AM I WRONG?

There is even a story in the bible where 2 servants of God were being pursued by an army of evil men and a woman hid them in her home and when the evil men came to her door she lied to them and told them that she had not seen the 2 men.

In the end the woman was actually rewarded handsomely by God for doing such a thing... lying, to save God's servants.

Have you ever lied and felt justified doing it?

What is your opinion on lying and when is it wrong to lie?

What about children? What should they be taught about lying?
  • "HONESTY'S THE BEST POLICY! " ... or is it? Are there times when LYING is the right thing to do?A. YES! Lying is wrong! There is never a justifiable reason to lie!
    Vote A
  • "HONESTY'S THE BEST POLICY! " ... or is it? Are there times when LYING is the right thing to do?B. NO! Lying is not always the wrong thing, there are sometimes justifiable reasons for lying
    Vote B
  • "HONESTY'S THE BEST POLICY! " ... or is it? Are there times when LYING is the right thing to do?C. OTHER, see my comments below, or just open the survey
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

2|2

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It depends on what the lies were for? the Girl lying to save those men was taking a 50/50 chance , Yes she was rewarded from God for saving those servants from the Evil men but she was rewarded for taking that chance , basically putting her own life on the line cuz what if those Evil men found the servants after she lied? She probably would of been killed as well for lying, so would she be rewarded then? She probably would of been rememembered for taking that chance to save them but Now she is dead. The thing with lies is you are always taking a 50/50 chance That's why lying is bad, it can be good if you aren't using lies for self gain. When someone lies without it being a concious decision. it is bad , If someone lies with a concious decision its a 50/50 chance. When it comes to relationships lies are bad period because you made a commitment to someone so any lies in a relationship you use to not hurt your partner is a a selfish gain cuz you're only thinking of yourself and not really thinking about your partner , thats why relationships are based off of trust. If you need to lie to your partner to not hurt them you are only lying. to. yourself again which is self. gain So how can you be really in love with someone if you have to lie to keep them? So it's always better to be honest instead of putting yourself into a lie that can hurt. you

1|0
    0|0
    • 4d

And Yes everyone lies in one shape or form eather it's a little lie or a big lie but the question is do you feel better after you lie? So again lying is a selfish decision , When we call off from work cuz we dont feel like going we tend to lie about why we aren't coming into work, car problems, I am sick, etc... But all lies can or could have consequences thats why its best to be as truthful as you can. I had a friend that was a compulsive liar , i knew they were lies but he still had a caring heart , why he lied a lot is Beyond me but his lies didn't really effect me cuz he was still a good friend to me but i tried talkimg. to him about why he lies and what he is gaining from it , he could never give me a straight anseer he lied so much to the point he was believing his own lies But what happened was all his lies eventually caught up to him and people that cared about him started to not trust him anymore they realized he was talking out of his ass , He started losing. respect from a lot. of. people. and losing friendships , His wife filed for divorce cuz she was done with all his lies. He got into drugs and got. real depressed and ended up taking his own life. Part of. the reason i dont lie cuz it gets ya No where

• 4d

Good policy to have, yes :)

Depression is never good :(

• Every single person on this planet has lied before, as early as infancy. As soon as toddlers are capable of discernment, they lie, first to test how far they can go until punished or caught.

That is the very basics of a human being and part of a healthy development. This capacity for discernment is that ability that will help them later to make proper judgments. You cannot be an expert at something if you don't know what you are talking about.

And who among us girls and boys haven't told a white lie? Let the ones throw me the first stone. I have, I do and I will tell white lies my entire life like every single one of us.

Now there is a difference between lying to cover up a truth that is not nice to hear but totally harmless (no you don't look fat in this dress) but as in your example, there are life saving lies that everyone with a conscience should not be afraid to tell.

However, I cannot endorse other lies that serve solely to hide an inappropriate or malicious, hateful or erroneous action. But even those spiteful actions are done willfully by all humans, including me. They are meant to protect us from the wrath of parents, society and others.

Yes, honesty is the best policy. It is the one that takes you furthest on should think. Alas, the contrary is true.
    You don't get this top job or wage by being honest with your future employer but by making yourself look better and more experienced for example.

A society without lies does not exist. I don't know of anyone that would not lie to a small child in a tragic situation such as telling her/him a white lie rather than the truth that his mommy or daddy are having a disease that will take them away tomorrow. In this context, it is your duty to lie for her/his own protection.

1|0
    0|0
  • I said C just because as much as I do think that a lie is excapatable at times it is still wrong! As you gave in an example of the woman of Jericho some times lying is some times necessary. However the Bible also gives a law as one of the 20 commandments not to lie. And your example was slightly flawed in that the woman was given grace bot for her lie and protecting the men but for her faith in God. Lying has never been celebrated... even as much as we all do it for some necessities.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think lying is ok in some scenarios, though it still feels bad as I have conscious. For me, tis easier to tell a different truth if possible.

It's a trust thing regarding social connection, I think. but if someone is doing harm.. the higher value is love, life, not being socially true to a nut job.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd say "Lie with wisdom"
    If you can save an innocent life with a lie, than lying should be the only answer.
    A few years ago, I'd be saying "It's ok unless it hurts someone" while the truths I said used to hurt people.
    So I believe lies and truths should be used to protect the peace, but don't lie when you don't have a perfect lie.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lying to protect someone is acceptable.
    Your example shows this

Lying to hurt others or benefit yourself is not.

Lying about abuse or rape to get someone jailed or loose something is horrible

Lying about taxes to gain more profit is horrible as well.

1|1
    0|0
  • so one of my friend was cheating on my other friend and he told me. i told him to end things with my other friend he did and i never told he because i thought that she would feel more degrading as a person i have no idea if i did the right thing

1|0
    0|0
  • I despise lies. I always tell the truth. Dangerous for me to do so? Don't care. Hurts someones feelings? Don't care. Helps someone temporarily? Don't care. Hard truths are always better than well meaning lies.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lying is just plain wrong. But your example is a good one. Thats a different scenario than someone just plain lying to your face. That was to save lives that were being taken for the wrong reason. A lie to stop a mass killing, sure. A lie to get a person to stay in the relationship, rip the tongue out.

1|0
    0|0
  • There are such situations, and there are lesser ones as well.
    "Sorry for using your coat, are you cold?"
    If I say yes, she would show her caring side and want to give it back. However the cold I feel would only by 80% of what she does. Women always feel colder, thus, sometimes it's easier to just lie.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never lie but there are times when you just have to tell like a little white lie especially used for kids...
    When it comes to love, relationships, serious issues, never lie...

1|0
    0|0
  • yes about a fri ends bad hair cut or their bad choice in clothes but I have 1 friend ice bever had to lie to we always say the truth an its a great thing to trust some 1 that much to believe in my hair cut or my clothes an how we eat or if we do rude things their truth full

1|0
    0|0
  • The Bible can't be proven but during the Salem Witch Trials people lied and said they were witches. If you did they spared you, if you said you weren't one they executed you. The Puritans here were religious so it's good to lie for good reasons.

1|0
    0|0
  • There are times when it is necessary to lie. When it is for protection of family and different people

2|1
    0|0
  • If I feel forced to lie, it's because I don't trust the other person's capability of handling the truth and hence I don't see him/her as an equal. That's a hard choice to make.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lying in a lot of circumstances makes things unnecessarily difficult but lying to oppressive authoritarianism should be a given because they deserve no honor.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lying may be necessary in cases.

Also, does one have to be intentionally trying to give false information to be lying, because technically we lie without being aware of it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I believe lying is always wrong. Even if someone lies to benefit someone else, it's still not healthy. The truth may not be convenient, but it's better.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think lying is always wrong. But their are many justifiable reasons to mislead.

1|0
    0|1
  • I feel like it is not always the best poilcy I have had times when it's honestly don't more harm then good as lol no pun intended

1|0
    0|0
  • I lie to the weak minded who I care about for some reason, but that's about it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lying isn't wrong at all when we don't want to hirt someone

1|0
    0|0
  • I've lost many friends due to my honesty.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure and nah

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope sometimes lying is necessary

1|0
    0|0
  • I hate liars and backstabbers so much

1|0
    0|0
  • Were you watching 8 simple rules thats my show

1|0
    0|0
  • why lie? you will get caught eventually

1|0
    0|0
  • Give a political answer. Oh wait, that is lying.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes