"HONESTY'S THE BEST POLICY! " ... or is it? Are there times when LYING is the right thing to do?

I really don't think even the most honest person in the world can not find honest reasons to lie sometimes.

EXAMPLE: During World War II, many french citizens, and those in other countries, hid people in their homes from the Nazis. When the Nazis then came to their door and asked them if they knew were the people they were looking for were, should they have told them, "Oh, yes, they're upstairs hiding?"

Would it have been justifiable lying to tell them, "No, we haven't seen anyone like that around here"?

I think there are many reasons to justifiably lie for legitimate reasons... AM I WRONG?

There is even a story in the bible where 2 servants of God were being pursued by an army of evil men and a woman hid them in her home and when the evil men came to her door she lied to them and told them that she had not seen the 2 men.

In the end the woman was actually rewarded handsomely by God for doing such a thing... lying, to save God's servants.

Have you ever lied and felt justified doing it?

What is your opinion on lying and when is it wrong to lie?

What about children? What should they be taught about lying?
  • "HONESTY'S THE BEST POLICY! " ... or is it? Are there times when LYING is the right thing to do?A. YES! Lying is wrong! There is never a justifiable reason to lie!
  • "HONESTY'S THE BEST POLICY! " ... or is it? Are there times when LYING is the right thing to do?B. NO! Lying is not always the wrong thing, there are sometimes justifiable reasons for lying
  • "HONESTY'S THE BEST POLICY! " ... or is it? Are there times when LYING is the right thing to do?C. OTHER, see my comments below, or just open the survey
    Vote C

823

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl