Cat won't eat after spay?

We got our cat spayed yesterday and I brought her home around 2 pm yesterday. It's now near 2:30 pm today and she still has not eaten anything. I'm getting worried. She doesn't even try and steal our pizza like she usually does. Is this normal?

Extra info: she is wearing a cone and they asked that I give her pain meds at 9 in the morning for today through Monday. Not sure if those are a factor or not.Cat won't eat after spay?
Updates:
3d
Ok! Thank you all. I decided to pick up some wet food at Walgreens and take off her collar... And she's eating!!!

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• My cat barely ate either after her spay. I wouldn't worry yet, though if she isn't drinking either, that's a cause for concern. I mixed a tiny bit of liver sausage/wet cat food with water to get her to both drink and get some calories, so maybe try something like that.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd guess the cone is just being awkward for her. Is she refusing scraps or tidbits if you handfeed her bitesize chunks as well?

0|0
    0|0
    • 3d

Refusing everything. She will sniff them and then walk away.

• Show All
    • 3d

Might be worth contacting your vet again then, sounds like maybe something's bothering her more than it should.

• 3d

Yay, go kitty!

• She's full of stress, anxiety and dope. This is a normal reaction to all of those things. If she starts getting physically ill then these can be legitimate medical symptoms.

0|0
    0|0
  • Give kitty time to Heal... This was a Semi Big Deal.
    How adorable. xx

0|1
    0|0
    • 2d

A Female Kitty Operation, She needs more time than the Male Here, dear. xxoo

• Awwwww! That little face! That's equally cute and heartbreaking! πŸ˜»πŸ˜ŠπŸ™πŸ˜’ But no, I wouldn't worry about it yet. That's not uncommon (whether and animal or human) to not have an appetite after surgery like that. Being through trauma like that can suppress your will to eat, so I'm not surprised. I'd be more mindful with hydration. Just give her another day and if she is not responding to food or water, I'd take her to the vet for a checkup. This may be a difficult time for your kitty, but she will rebound, regardless of what happens in the next couple days, I assure you. πŸ™‚ Cats are tough animals! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ΌπŸˆ

1|0
    0|0
  • The scent due to changing hormones, meds, and trauma of surgery is the cause of not eating. Don't force her. Let her take her time. It's not normal to spay your animal obviously. She never asked to be spayed. But as her owner, it was your choice so this is what happens. So its only "Natural" she would not do those things anymore because her stealing your food or trying to is predatory nature. Poor thing doesn't know herself anymore. AND it's going to be a very hard adjustment. Best you contact your vet if she doesn't eat by tomorrow.

0|0
    1|0
  • Call a vet and ask them if you should bring her in.

Good luck to your baby!!

0|0
    0|0
  • i don’t know maybe she is still a little dazed from the anesthesia

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not eating because she's pissed off at you for doing this

0|1
    0|0
  • Go to the vet

0|0
    1|0