Automatic Transmission isn't shifting the way it should?

I drive a 2007 Nissan Murano and it has roughly about 160k miles on it. I got it at 135k and haven't had any issues with it at all. I keep up the regular maintenance (that I know how to do at least.) I get the oil changed every time the light comes on and so forth.

My transmission doesn't sound as if it's shifting all the way or shifting properly. I've checked the fluid 5 times over the last 2-3 weeks it's been doing this and it's fine. I took it to autozone and had them check the fluid and they it's perfect as well. The check engine oil light came on a week ago (I work 2 jobs and 65+ hours a week total for both so I don't have time to do things right away.)

I had the oil changed and the car in general sounds better, but it's still not shifting properly. The soonest I can get an appt for a diagnostic is the second week of April since I live in a small town and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that could cause this or if it's a simple fix I'm over looking that my brother and dad can do. I called one place and they said they could do a transmission tune up for 600$ which I'm willing to do if it needs it, but if it's something simpler I'd like to start there first.
Updates:
7d
Aside from the lack of shifting properly there's no other driving issues. It drives almost exactly the same despite the shifting issue and sound caused by the issue.
7d
It's an automatic, sorry I forgot to add that.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• New trans fluid and filter might help (basically a tune-up), it would be worth a try

But unfortunately Nissan Muranos and Rogues around that age have a reputation for complete transmission failures, so you might want to brace yourself for bad news.

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

See and I'm fully prepared for a new transmission simply because it does have a lot of miles and I've never had any issues before. I just don't want to pay 600$ for a tune up just to need a new transmission. It's not slipping and aside from the sound it makes from not shifting all the way or properly it's driving fine.

I don't know what it's called, but the thing that shows you where your transmission is (idk maybe that's a bad description) goes to 2 max. If I go to 75 it'll go to 3 then quickly drops back down to 1.5 or 2 and stay there when I set cruise.

Not sure how it's supposed to work, but I doubt it should be dropping that quickly.

• Show All
    • 7d

I wouldn’t use a dealer for any repairs out of warranty.

• 7d

Thank you for that advice!! I will rry to find a local shop.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can try getting the transmission fluid changed. Make sure they change the filters, too. I am not sure if you can flush auto boxes, but it could be a sticking valve. Does it slip? If so, it is not worth trying to fix.

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

It doesn't slip at all, it just sounds like it's having a hard time shifting or not shifting at all.

• Show All
    • 7d

Not a whining, not sure how to explain it honestly so bare with me me.

The best way I can think to describe it is it's just a louder and longer sou d than usual? Like aside from my engine sounder louder and you can hear it not shifting it doesn't make any other sounds. Did that help at all?

• 7d

I wonder if there is something wrong with what we call kickdown in UK? That will make it hang in lower gears.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Have you had it scanned for codes? If it's not a hydraulic issue, it's most likely an electrical issue.
    Are you sure it's the transmission? Sometimes, it can be deceiving. For example it could be numerous sensors not communicating to the ECM, thus adjusting the shift points.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

There are no codes coming up and no check engine light.

• Show All
    • 7d

Oh that's my bad, improper wording the change* oil light came on which I did a day or so ago, but the transmission has been acting up sine a week or so before.

• 7d

An OBD2 scanner doesn't necessarily scan for transmission codes. I'd start there; get it scanned specifically for that and see what happens.

• Wow you going to have to bite the bullet snd get it fixed. I hear you my car is small and has 170,000 on original breaks

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

I definitely want to get it fixed, the person I called immediately suggested the most expensive thing to fix it so I wanted ithers opinions first. It's an amazing car and no issues at all so if the transmission needs to be tuned or replaced I'm 100% okay with that because were just about to be at 170k, but if I can find a cheaper solution I'd like to do that first honestly.

• It could be the clutch.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Sorry I forgot to add it's an automatic.

• How long do the gearboxes last on those things?

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

I have no idea. I have really basic knowledge of vehichles, I'm not even sure what a gearbox is.

Recommended myTakes