Why are people so aggressively offend when confronted with the truth?

I understand cognitive dissonance can be uncomfortable. But actually lashing out at people for pointing out when you do or say something stupid is just baffling to me.

912

Most Helpful Guys

• You need to learn how to successfully argue with people. There is a way to do it such that they don't explode like that.

Read this piece that is to be published in tomorrow's NY Times:
    www.nytimes.com/.../rick-steves-travel-world.html
    ===
    Today, Steves is more strategic. His most powerful tool, he realizes, is his broad appeal. He has an uncanny knack for making serious criticism feel gentle and friendly. Often he disguises critiques of America with a rhetorical move that I like to think of as “U. S. A.! U. S. A.! U. S. A.! (But. ... )” “I’m unapologetically proud to be an American,” he writes in the introduction to his book “Travel as a Political Act.” “The happiest day of any trip is the day I come home. ... But other nations have some pretty good ideas too.”

That’s when he hits his audience with legal prostitution, high tax rates and universal health care.

When I asked Steves about this strategy, he chuckled.

“It’s not America-bashing,” he said. “It’s America-loving. I think it’s loving America to look at it critically. But you’ve got to set it up. You’ve got to allay people’s concerns that you’re a communist. So you explain to them: I’m a capitalist, I make a lot of money, I employ a lot of people, I love the laws of supply and demand. It seems kind of silly, but you’ve got to say that. Then, especially the husbands who are dragged there by their wives, they go, ‘I thought he was a commie, but he’s O. K.’ And then you don’t need to be too gentle. You can confront people with a different perspective, and you’ll get through.”
    ===

Also, consider practicing with this:
    www.nytimes.com/.../...-family-argue-chat-bot.html

• I think you misunderstood. I don't mind, I think it's actually kinda funny. Just not sure why.

• That's fair. But they still need to shut the fuck up and accept the fact that they are wrong.

• No they don't because they don't believe they are wrong.

• Being confronted with truth on a psychological level is often seen as criticism which is--depending on the person's threshold--at some point seen as a threat or danger. It's a psychological equivalent of being physically harmed so we naturally respond back to protect ourselves.

• But criticism is a good thing. It shows us where we need to improve.

• The idea of self improvement has been around as long as life in Earth has. Stronger, faster, smarter, whatever. Anything to increase your chances of surviving the competition. The recent trend is bitching about how life isn't fair.

• It's been around in some form. I don't think people 100 years ago thought "I'll change myself in this way" often though. People that did were outliers. We were thought to be who we are and that was it. I feel like we really went off topic though.

Not many people are going to agree with you that criticism is a good thing when you confront them in the moment with criticism. If you ask a general question about it on here with no context of criticism directed towards somebody, people are going to look at it in a entirely different way.

Also I'll say, we all want to be loved and respected by those close to us. Not following that axiom is very painful.

Most Helpful Girl