How do you view the silent treatment?

I hear men say it's so imature, but I don't see it that way.

Let's say you just had an argument with your partner, friend, or family (ectera.)
I get silent and give people the "silent treatment" because they have angered me. It's only way for me to resist exploding in anger and crying. That's just how I deal with my anger.
When the person who angered me tries to communicate with me in that state it only angers me more. It can take up to an hour or day for me to cool down and get over it. And in that time I just rather the person leave me be.

What is your take on the subject?How do you view the silent treatment?
  • It's Immature
    Vote A
  • It's not immature
    Vote B
  • It depends on the situation
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• In my opinion, what you describe isn't "the silent treatment". I think what you describe is kind of like taking time out so you can cool down. The silent treatment is where someone wants to talk to you, and you ignore them and shut them out in order to make them feel bad. It is very cold and destructive.

If the other person knows you are taking time out to cool off, how do they react to that?

I've had women give me the silent treatment and that is non-negotiable. I won't stand for it and if I am dating that woman I will break it off. Taking time out to cool off is understandable though.

3|3
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• the silent treatment (when I do it) is to keep me from saying something bad out of emotion that I know i'll regret later.
    it allows me to calm down and see things from a clear perspective.
    I think its more immature to say things you don't mean because you're pissed off.

3|0
    0|0
  • I think it's more mature than screaming at the other person.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I do the silent treatment and it not to be immature it because I feel like a deer caught in a headlight

There no rationale for emotions. They drive me to silence It and They are like a big conundrum to me.

I understand what going on but not sure why someone feels it so deep or why am I sad. it a cluster fuck so I just stay quiet.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not wanting to talk to someone sometimes is not an unusual feeling. However, in a relationship, communication is key. in my opinion silent treatmen exceeding 72 hours spells the end of a relationship.

If it's warrented, then the offence it warranted is so egregious, it's over.

If it is not warranted, the the silent party is immature, petty, manipulative, or all of the above. It's over.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is immature if you never discuss it with your partner. It is fine to "cool down" but then you need to tell your partner you need time and then you need to discuss whatever problem you had rationally to avoid future conflict or a similar situation. You will never grow or have a healthy relationship if you fail to communicate your feelings and problems. It is immature yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • if you're straight up ignoring someone who is trying to come to a solution with you because you can't control your actions, that's immature.
    you can instead just say you dont wanna talk about it atm and get back to it later when you're willing to work together

1|1
    0|0
  • I think that it's important for you to explain to people that you need that space for a little while. The silent treatment is more than just not talking to someone for a while, it's where you deny the person an explanation, and you just cut them off. It's the same thing as ghosting, basically.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a fine question but I don't really agree with calling not-wanting-to-talk-to-someone-because-I-have-nothing-currently-to-say "the silent treatment." That implies that I'm REFUSING to talk to someone, and that is pretty immature usually, but sometimes it's just that you don't know what you want to say or have nothing to say. Is that really fair to classify as "the silent treatment?" I don't think it is.

1|0
    0|0
  • Silence is Sometimes the Best from the Rest so No More Voice.
    Later., Allow them to Cool Off and Hopefully... Open Lines of Convo One again. xx

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't like it and find it immature. It accomplishes nothing and just makes the situation feel awkward.

1|0
    0|0
  • I will never accept silent treatment. I made sure it backfired with every ex that has tried that with me. My current girlfriend is a real women and doesn't do that

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s not immature. Sometimes I like to be quiet and I’m so disappointed in someone I don’t feel like talking.

1|1
    0|2
  • Well first I don’t give the silent treatment and I don’t go silent to be punitive.

Sometimes I go silent because I need some time to process things and calm down. It’s just my nature. I’m introverted so I tend to distance myself to process things. It’s not childish or meant to be punitive in anyway. And honestly if they press me at that point they’re likely to wish they hadn’t I sometimes just need that time and I need my partner o respect that.

Now I guess there can be people that use it as a negotiation tool. Like you’re dealing with a child or something but whatever that’s not my bag.

1|1
    0|0
    • Yeah going silent to re-group and calm down is OK in my opinion. As long as the other person knows that is what you are doing. I'm glad you don't do it to be "punitive" because that is the real "silent treatment" and it is destructive. As I mentioned in my post, that is a non-negotiable trait with me, and if I am dating a woman who does that, it is "bye bye".

• i think you should have learned to articulate and solve problems by the time you reach adulthood. the "silent treatment" is spitefull and idiotic like throwing a tantrum. it shows that your socialization was a failure or that you lack intelligence.

1|0
    0|0
  • Its immature and a form of abuse. When I got with my wife I informed her that I wouldn't play manipulative games, that includes the silent treatment.

Honestly the last person that tried that with me ended up kicked out of my house.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally I'd rather my partner cried/exploded and talked to me instead of leaving things unresolved. As long as there's still reason behind the crying or explosion ofc. Otherwise it's just as bad.

0|0
    0|0
    • So you would rather your partner say something rude, disrespectful, and hurtful instead of taking the time out to cool off so that you 2 can eventually talk like civil humans?

• Show All
    • Not -a- reason, just reason. If my partner can't talk to me without being rude, disrespectful or hurtful then reason goes out the window and it's no better than the "silent treatment".

• Okay, whatever you say.

• It is immature and abusive behaviour. Same as all passive-aggressive behaviour. Abuse is abuse.

1|0
    3|1
    • How’s that abuse? My partner gave me a silent treatment. I understood he was upset and didn’t feel like talking. I didn’t feel abused by him. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

• Show All
    • @Tatiana230 well I disagree. Each entitled to our opinions. I do feel you are using a different definition of silent treatment to me though.

• Also empowerment has very little to do with being a victim of abuse. Empowerment insinuates that the person was powerless to begin with. Any victim of abuse has the power to end the relationship and find someone who is emotionally developed and mature.

• Silent treatment let problems unsolved, if she just taking time to cool down then talk, I'm fine with it. but days or weeks, nah...
    I'm out

1|1
    0|0
  • I’d rather direct communication be in place. You can’t resolve a situation if you’re not even talking

0|2
    0|0
  • HAHAHAHAHA... LOL OKAY How do you view the silent treatment?

0|0
    0|0
  • I treat it as she is upset with me. If I leave her alone she will tell me what I have done wrong...

1|0
    0|0
  • I keep to myself to avoid saying some mean shit I'll regret

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s super immature. Communication is what solves issues

1|0
    0|0
  • whew that sounds like im having peace for a few hours 😌

1|0
    0|0
  • it does not bother me in the least l am a mature guy

1|0
    0|0
  • It's legally considered abuse if a man does it to a woman, but applauded when a woman does it to a man.

0|0
    0|0
    • It's not abuse, that's ridiculous if people actually believe that.

• Thank modern feminism for ridiculous beliefs. I personally believe I am in no way mentally superior to women and therefore no form of my speech can be considered abuse. In my belief only physical abuse is actually abuse. I don't believe in financial abuse either, if you stay with a physically abusive asshole for money that's your choice.

• I'm a fan of the silent treatment It actually does work

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn’t solve anything. Just shows you know how to act like 12 year old

0|0
    0|0
  • It´s extremely destructive.

1|0
    0|0
  • I hate it

1|1
    0|0
  • It's frustrating most of the time

1|0
    0|0
  • Did you say something?

1|0
    0|0
  • I view it as a treatment

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the situation

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the situation.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's immature behaviour as it's passive agressive

1|1
    0|0
  • I hate it. I'd rather talk it out

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends

1|0
    0|0
  • For short term issues, the silent treatment is OK for dealing with your emotions however shouldn't really be used long term as it stops you possessing them and as a result can lead to not dealing with the emotion.
    The silent treatment is immature and shouldn't be used as a long term solution, but it can be helpful if it allows for quick coping in an emotional situation

1|1
    1|0

Recommended myTakes