How do you view the silent treatment?

I hear men say it's so imature, but I don't see it that way.

Let's say you just had an argument with your partner, friend, or family (ectera.)
I get silent and give people the "silent treatment" because they have angered me. It's only way for me to resist exploding in anger and crying. That's just how I deal with my anger.
When the person who angered me tries to communicate with me in that state it only angers me more. It can take up to an hour or day for me to cool down and get over it. And in that time I just rather the person leave me be.

What is your take on the subject?How do you view the silent treatment?
  • It's Immature
  • It's not immature
  • It depends on the situation
    Vote C

2121

Most Helpful Guys

• In my opinion, what you describe isn't "the silent treatment". I think what you describe is kind of like taking time out so you can cool down. The silent treatment is where someone wants to talk to you, and you ignore them and shut them out in order to make them feel bad. It is very cold and destructive.

If the other person knows you are taking time out to cool off, how do they react to that?

I've had women give me the silent treatment and that is non-negotiable. I won't stand for it and if I am dating that woman I will break it off. Taking time out to cool off is understandable though.

Most Helpful Girls

• the silent treatment (when I do it) is to keep me from saying something bad out of emotion that I know i'll regret later.
    it allows me to calm down and see things from a clear perspective.
    I think its more immature to say things you don't mean because you're pissed off.

• I think it's more mature than screaming at the other person.