I have Jury Duty. What should I expect?

Anyone had to do this before?

Came home earlier to find a letter that I have to do Jury Duty, letter has ordered me to attend court, and states I must attend on Tuesday 28th of May

I really dont fancy the thought of it as u may imagine, though I do know if you dont attend you can be punished.

Kind of worried, not knowing what to expect etc, also I suffer from anxiety at the best of times.

Any advice what happens?

1026

Most Helpful Guys

• Most likely you will sit around in the waiting area for a few hour. Then you're told it was settled out of court and you can go home.

If it comes to actual jury selection, that's just as boring. They'll ask a bunch of questions, and dismiss people one by one. If you don't want to do it, make a lame excuse and they'll probably let you out of it.

I've been called for jury duty quite a few times and never had to actually serve. Then I started ignoring the letters when they came.

• 12 d ago

The thought had crossed my mind about making an excuse to get out of it

• 12 d ago

They aren't going to push it too hard. The last thing they want is a jury of people who resent being there. Most of the times when I got called, it was settled out of court and we were told to go home. I only went through the selection process once. I had a good work related excuse. But there were probably 50 people before me and I heard a lot of them get released on pretty flimsy excuses.

• 12 d ago

Thank u , will have a think about it before deciding what I want to do

• I couldn't get out of it once, waited in a large room for 6 hours, never had my name called, then left when they said I could leave.

Bring some entertainment that will last at least 6 hours, cuz it's boring as shit.

• 13 d ago

That sounds like a good idea yes

• 13 d ago

@abc3643 Ok then, listen to this creepy old man instead and stare at the wall for 6 hours.
      I have Jury Duty. What should I expect?

• 13 d ago

Definetly dont want to be staring at walls for 6 hours

Most Helpful Girls

• Pray that you never get picked for a court case and you'll be out of there before the end of the day. No amount of an excuse is going to prevent you from doing anything because they will force you to be assigned to any case if you don't pick a case. Seriously pray that they don't have any cases.

• 11 d ago

Yes I am praying that i dont get picked for any case and on the day I hope I am out as soon as possible

• I've only been called once. Basically I just showed up, sat around for a few hours, they came and told us the settled and gave us some paperwork saying we can't get called again for a while. Apparently that's pretty common. Most of the time you get called you won't ever sit on an actual jury.

• 13 d ago

Thanks for the helpful information, if I went I would be hoping not be called

• 13 d ago

Thanks, just need to wait and see what happens

• 13 d ago

Good luck.