I have Jury Duty. What should I expect?

Anyone had to do this before?

Came home earlier to find a letter that I have to do Jury Duty, letter has ordered me to attend court, and states I must attend on Tuesday 28th of May

I really dont fancy the thought of it as u may imagine, though I do know if you dont attend you can be punished.

Kind of worried, not knowing what to expect etc, also I suffer from anxiety at the best of times.

Any advice what happens?

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Most likely you will sit around in the waiting area for a few hour. Then you're told it was settled out of court and you can go home.

If it comes to actual jury selection, that's just as boring. They'll ask a bunch of questions, and dismiss people one by one. If you don't want to do it, make a lame excuse and they'll probably let you out of it.

I've been called for jury duty quite a few times and never had to actually serve. Then I started ignoring the letters when they came.

1|0
    0|0
    • 12 d ago

The thought had crossed my mind about making an excuse to get out of it

• 12 d ago

They aren't going to push it too hard. The last thing they want is a jury of people who resent being there. Most of the times when I got called, it was settled out of court and we were told to go home. I only went through the selection process once. I had a good work related excuse. But there were probably 50 people before me and I heard a lot of them get released on pretty flimsy excuses.

• 12 d ago

Thank u , will have a think about it before deciding what I want to do

• I couldn't get out of it once, waited in a large room for 6 hours, never had my name called, then left when they said I could leave.

Bring some entertainment that will last at least 6 hours, cuz it's boring as shit.

0|0
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

That sounds like a good idea yes

• Show All
    • 13 d ago

@abc3643 Ok then, listen to this creepy old man instead and stare at the wall for 6 hours.
      I have Jury Duty. What should I expect?

• 13 d ago

Definetly dont want to be staring at walls for 6 hours

Most Helpful Girls

• Pray that you never get picked for a court case and you'll be out of there before the end of the day. No amount of an excuse is going to prevent you from doing anything because they will force you to be assigned to any case if you don't pick a case. Seriously pray that they don't have any cases.

1|0
    0|0
    • 11 d ago

Yes I am praying that i dont get picked for any case and on the day I hope I am out as soon as possible

• I've only been called once. Basically I just showed up, sat around for a few hours, they came and told us the settled and gave us some paperwork saying we can't get called again for a while. Apparently that's pretty common. Most of the time you get called you won't ever sit on an actual jury.

0|0
    0|2
    • 13 d ago

Thanks for the helpful information, if I went I would be hoping not be called

• Show All
    • 13 d ago

Thanks, just need to wait and see what happens

• 13 d ago

Good luck.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• You may be able to get out of it - I think they have reasons to be excused like it will be a financial hardship from losing work. I have gotten myself excused by saying I know too much about the case, but that was a well known case. I've only had to go one time and we all got excused. Other times you call a number between so and so and they will give you a recorded message if you are needed or not. It should be on the summons you got someplace on how you can get out of it.

1|0
    0|0
    • 11 d ago

I might go, and might try to get out of it. Probably decide closer to the time as I have 2 weeks to go.

• 11 d ago

If you want to get excused you need to send in the request ASAP or you may not get excused.

• 11 d ago

Thanks, will bear that in mind then

• Lots of people are giving you advice like you'll hang around for several hours and then you go home and, for most people, that is exactly what happens. However, I am going to tell you what really happens and listen up.

1. First, don't bring "entertainment" and listen-up to what anyone in the court tells you. Listening / watching to entertainment is an excellent way to get hit with a violation of some type akin to a "contempt of court". You are paid to be there so treat it like a job and do whatever duty you have.

2. With the other members of the jury pool that day, you will be brought into a room and given an orientation talk. Lots of people there will be just like you - first-timers who don't know anything about the process. They WILL take attendance. I believe they may also make you fill out a form such as your address to verify where they will send your check. Other forms might include things such as you acknowledging that you understand the rules you were just taught, etc. All formalities.

3. What will happen next is that you will be brought into the court and sit in "The Gallery", that part of the court where the "audience" sits. You will have to rise when the judge comes. Don't wear a hat. Make sure your phone is OFF, not just silent or in Airplane Mode; you will NOT have a chance to recharge your phone in court.

4. This part of the trial is called "Voir Dire" which is French for "To see. To Speak." This is the part of the trail in which they interview and select the jurors. During orientation, you will have been given a number to identify yourself, e. g., "Juror 123". In court, the bailiff will call out a juror number from the jury pool. and that juror then heads to the Jury Box. At this instant in time, you are a possible juror for a trial. Each lawyer will interview you. If all the lawyers approve of you, congratulations!, you are a juror. If even one of the lawyers does not approve of you, you are dismissed and can go home; your jury duty service is done.

5. Once they have selected enough jurors for the trial, the trial should begin right there. Even if you were not called to be a juror, you still remain in the Gallery and listen to opening statements. You remain partly because there are always "alternate jurors" among you in the Gallery who may be required if there is an issue with one of the selected jurors.

I can't really comment after that. In 2004, I was in the jury pool for a civil case involving 3 parties. During opening statements, one of the lawyers was talking and I immediately knew he was crossing the line. The judge stopped proceedings and called all the lawyers into his chambers. I'd seen so many Law & Order episodes by 2004 that, while we all waited about 45 minutes, I told the guy next to me that this is going to be a mistrial and we will all go home. The judge came out, declared a mistrial, thanked us for our service, and we all went home. Jury duty was over and I would not be called again for jury duty for at least 2-3 years. I spoke to one of the lawyers in the elevator on the way down and she said it was OK to talk to her. (During the trial, that would have been an illegal "ex parte" discussion.") I told her I thought it was immediate mistrial when the other lawyer said such and such and she agreed with me.

ANYWAY, don't worry about this. First, you'll get paid for your service. Second, they will take care of you. But, third, you need to treat it with respect and act like an adult and not like a bored teen or 20-something. After all, they are treating you like an adult and this is one of your first forays into "real adulting". Don't act all bored. Instead, look at this as a privilege of being an adult and watch, listen, and learn. After all, you never know when somebody is going to sue you and you are a party in a civil case or defendant in a criminal case. Soak in this experience and never forget it. And, again, most of all, respect it.

0|1
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

Thanks, yes I will try not to be worried about it and would treat it with respect

• Nothing to worry about. Judge wil ask if you have a reason to be excused. Doctors appointent is not a reason. Attorney will or won't pick you. Most cases just last that one day. Most of it is 'crossed my house with your fence, Robbed the candy store. And most cases are pretty simple. Most.

1|0
    0|0
  • Tell them you have an anxiety disorder and might get post traumatic stress disorder if you are exposed to drug dealers or violent criminals in a court room and will sue the province if that happens.

1|0
    0|0
  • I hear people go to jury duty get ripped off and your suppose
    to be paid so if they force you to go tell them you need paid
    also little hint my cousin was suppose to go to jury duty and
    they ask him if he believed in the Death Penalty and he said yes
    so they dismissed him from going to jury duty so he was off
    the hook.

1|0
    0|0
  • - Get there early. Parking is often a hassle and so can be finding the right place.
    - They'll take attendance. Make sure they know you're there.
    - You'll likely wait in a room for a good while. Bring a book or a battery bank for your phone.
    - A LOT of cases settle or get rescheduled, so your group might get dismissed entirely.
    - If you are chosen as a potential jurer, you will go through the voir dire process, where they ask you if you know anyone involved or have any biases that would cause you to be unfair. Some people will try to make up excuses to be excused, but they are rarely accepted, so don't bother.
    - If you are seated, then you could have a case that lasts several days, but often it's no longer than 1-3.
    - Here in California, you get a few bucks a day to help cover gas. It's laughable, but you might as well take what little you get.

Whether you are seated or not, if you show up, you won't be called again for I believe 2 years - at least for local court. Federal court is unrelated.

0|0
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

Thanks for the info. I agree yes, need to take whatever you are entitled to

• I've always called the day before and have always been excused

1|0
    0|0
  • Never been I’m dyslexic it got me out of it 6 years ago they haven’t called me since.

1|0
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

That must be a relief then

• 12 d ago

Very though I would of told them the truth their guilty just for having me get their.

• Say your gonna be as bias as possible so they're forced not to pick you

1|0
    0|0
  • Just buy a shirt with jesus and the mary strapped to the electric chair and execute the innocent written u won't get picked

1|1
    0|0
  • 0|0
    0|0
  • Just go and come u can know how real world is how to deal right situations... U will know the laws of ur country n how people react n behave in situations etcetc

1|0
    0|0
  • 1 hour drive to court. Watched an ep of Law and Order. Fell asleep, woke up, everyone got dismissed. The dude pled out. Pretty much wasted a day. Expect a boring wasted day if you even manage to get to the part where they vet you.

0|0
    0|0
    • 12 d ago

Sounds a very wasted day indeed

• Show All
    • 12 d ago

Thank u

• 12 d ago

You're welcome. Good luck :)

• I’ve been called twice and have never had to go back... usually you’ll have to sit there for a couple hours until they call names or send you home.

I’ll take the free day off of work though! lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I was called a few weeks ago, and actually sat on the jury lol. It was quite interesting, but you spend way too much time waiting around

0|0
    0|0
    • 12 d ago

We were in for 9 days, too. But the whole process changes by country, and even by state

• 11 d ago

9 days sounds a while, understand it will be a lot of waiting about involved

• It might be interesting. DAs and defence lawyers are having a battle in the courtroom.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you pretend to be biased you can easily get out of it

1|0
    0|0
  • The first time you go (which may be the only time you have to go) the judge will speak to everyone who was summoned and explain the process and the importance of the civic duty of serving, etc. Everyone will be asked if they know any of the parties to the case (whether civil or criminal) and each person will be given an opportunity to state why serving would be a significant hardship. The opposing attorneys may begin to conduct voir dire, which is the process by which the jury is actually selected. This will involve the attorneys questioning each of the people in the jury pool about possible biases, personal beliefs or prejudices, etc. You will be treated with great respect because of the great importance in our legal system of the right to a jury trial.

0|0
    0|0
  • listen to your gut-having a trained good is one of the best things a girl can have... too many don't have much of one to speach of...

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't even show up and i didn't get punished

1|0
    0|0
  • Haven't had it yet 🤷

1|0
    0|0
  • In what state or country do you live?

0|0
    0|0
  • Never been

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope my doctor always gets me out of that nonsense

0|0
    0|0
  • Expect to be bored it boring asf

0|0
    0|0
  • Lots of boredom

0|0
    0|0
    • 11 d ago

Yes I bet it would be lots of boredom and waiting about

• 11 d ago

I have been called about 5 times. Once once was I picked only to me excluded. Total of 48 hours of
      Picking my nose and my ass

• To be bored... there's a lot of hanging around

0|0
    0|0
  • A boring day. Thats literally it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would just do it if I was u

0|0
    0|0
  • U gonna have to do it regardless. U could be arrested if u dont

0|0
    0|0
  • I pretend to be racist to get out of jury duty.

1|0
    0|0
  • My aunty got called, from what I heard it’s extremely boring and nothing much usually happens.

I dread the day if I ever get called for it, I suffer badly with anxiety so I’d be having constant panic attacks lmao.

1|0
    0|0
    • 11 d ago

Oh I know what u mean, i suffer from bad anxiety too at times. I had also been dreading the day

Recommended myTakes