Do you think everyday people are capable of critical thinking?

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes if they are trained in how to think critically. Some are better than others.

Really smart people who are somewhat gifted in this skill can and often do lack ways to apply it to every part of their life. They trust authority because they don’t feel equal and therefore don’t question the authority.

Everyone of average or above intelligence is capable.

I’m certainly not perfect but my education prepared me to think critically from 15 years old. Then in college and grad school one really has to be able to employ this skill to really. Implicated topics such as language and cognition. Does the language you speak effect your cognition?

I really have to remind myself of how my decision making got to where it is now.

Most people don’t have those tools in their box yet. Also, they’d just prefer to pretend to toilet isn’t broken or whatever (toilet being government).

I can’t blame them for it. I can’t blame them for being tricked by a con artist.

Sometimes we all hear and see only what we want to see. We may be able to think critically but don’t want to because that would disrupt our narrative.

0|2
    0|0
    • 2 d ago

@asker thanks for MH. As another user said, it is a skill. That was her argument against but a def of skill is- a learned power of doing something competently : a developed aptitude or ability.

I know for me personally that, while I have a natural aptitude for critical thinking, much of the finer details were taught to me over time and through practice.

In my work life I’ve seen people who I trained go in many different directions. I would tell them to ask our client maybe 3 or 4 questions based on risk I inferred based on my experience with the exposure and characteristics of the account.

But they had to call the client, not email and some of them just wouldn’t do it. The ones that did were like, how did you know that?

And I would tell them how, I would share the info I had on a region and thought process. Not to make myself feel big but because I want them to succeed and I know they will be able to follow and build on to that concept further once they know how to use it and why.

The people who just waived me off? It’s not that they weren’t potentially critical thinkers. They just weren’t interested or invested enough in our line of work. They went on to other industries and are doing well.

Best of luck to you and your studies, may they lead the way!

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't think so.

This is because critical thinking like many wrote here, needs some level of intelligence plus some form of training and live practice.

But regrettably, there are some who are born "morons" (medical term), with IQ below 80.

I think people below certain IQ level may not successfully achieve the desired skill of critical thinking.

0|1
    0|0
  • Simple
    Nope

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Using the statement ‘everyday people’ in your question applies to the people who are around you in real-time. No one can identify with who these people are and so your question is skewed and I cannot give you an answer for these ‘everyday people’.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is a ridiculous question. The term 'everyday people' is relative, very much opinion and perception based.

Some people have good critical thinking skills. Some people do not. I think everyone is capable of it, technically. It's just a lot easier and more effortless for some people, than it is for others.

0|0
    0|0
  • No they can't. To think critically you need to be unbiased and give correct amount of weighting to each piece of evidence. Most people make their mind up long before actually thinking and then force the pieces to fit their opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think anyone is capable of critical thinking.

That being said I also think many people don't make use of that ability as much as they should for one of two reasons:
    - Laziness. Critical thought requires a mental strain.
    - Fear. Critical thought can mean you will have to also question the foundations of your beliefsystem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. It's definitely no perfect test but the Myers Briggs test might help you find out how good a person is at critical though. As a person who is tremendously skewed towards facts over feelings I can't even conceptualise how someone would live of irrational sentiments

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't see why not. Everybody is doing it. Wait, what was the question again?

1|1
    0|0
  • Critical thinking isn't a strong suit for many people. They do things and believe things just because others believe it and do it. They believe things as facts cuz they read it on a meme online.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've had a grudge holding problem for a very long time - at least long by my definition. I was reading the bible today and they said that a man's wisdom gives him patience. I realize that as I increase in wisdom - I also increase in patience. I went to a bible study one time and a guy said - everybody has a breaking point where they don't want to forgive or won't take any more - but the important thing is - to increase your patience so that your breaking point is so high - that nobody can break you.

0|0
    0|0
  • They're capable of it but mostly they don't bother. Pay them a bit less than they're entitled to and they become very critical very quickly.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have to everyday for my job and most can't do my job so its probably not for everyone.

0|1
    0|0
  • Some yes; some no. Dunno what "everyday" is supposed to mean as a qualifier of "people," though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think most everyone is capable of it. Whether or not they will is the question.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah.

They just need to realize that they shouldn’t take everything said for granted.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes there are people capable of using critical thinking

0|0
    0|0
  • What's your definition of critical thinking?

0|1
    0|1
    • 8 d ago

It’s the thing that men do and women can’t

• Show All
    • 1 d ago

@chris_987 your ignorance amused me. Are you blocked often?

• 1 d ago

Lol your a girl so I’m sure your unaware of how emotional women can get, that why it’s ironic that you think I’m ignorant.

• Of course, anyone is capable of critical thinking.

0|1
    0|0
  • About half, on a good day.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they are capable of doing it

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh dear god no

0|0
    0|0
  • no people are dumb

0|0
    0|0
  • No they can´t. They´re just too dense.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd need to think about it

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's not for normal human like us.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea cause people are smart

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. If not, what good is the human brain?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes! It’s possible, the moment you pick clothes and decide not to fight with your partner and end things with sex and a kiss! That’s critical thinking right there!

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. It's actually a skill

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes