Do you think everyday people are capable of critical thinking?

724

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes if they are trained in how to think critically. Some are better than others.

Really smart people who are somewhat gifted in this skill can and often do lack ways to apply it to every part of their life. They trust authority because they don’t feel equal and therefore don’t question the authority.

Everyone of average or above intelligence is capable.

I’m certainly not perfect but my education prepared me to think critically from 15 years old. Then in college and grad school one really has to be able to employ this skill to really. Implicated topics such as language and cognition. Does the language you speak effect your cognition?

I really have to remind myself of how my decision making got to where it is now.

Most people don’t have those tools in their box yet. Also, they’d just prefer to pretend to toilet isn’t broken or whatever (toilet being government).

I can’t blame them for it. I can’t blame them for being tricked by a con artist.

Sometimes we all hear and see only what we want to see. We may be able to think critically but don’t want to because that would disrupt our narrative.

• 2 d ago

@asker thanks for MH. As another user said, it is a skill. That was her argument against but a def of skill is- a learned power of doing something competently : a developed aptitude or ability.

I know for me personally that, while I have a natural aptitude for critical thinking, much of the finer details were taught to me over time and through practice.

In my work life I’ve seen people who I trained go in many different directions. I would tell them to ask our client maybe 3 or 4 questions based on risk I inferred based on my experience with the exposure and characteristics of the account.

But they had to call the client, not email and some of them just wouldn’t do it. The ones that did were like, how did you know that?

And I would tell them how, I would share the info I had on a region and thought process. Not to make myself feel big but because I want them to succeed and I know they will be able to follow and build on to that concept further once they know how to use it and why.

The people who just waived me off? It’s not that they weren’t potentially critical thinkers. They just weren’t interested or invested enough in our line of work. They went on to other industries and are doing well.

Best of luck to you and your studies, may they lead the way!

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't think so.

This is because critical thinking like many wrote here, needs some level of intelligence plus some form of training and live practice.

But regrettably, there are some who are born "morons" (medical term), with IQ below 80.

I think people below certain IQ level may not successfully achieve the desired skill of critical thinking.

• Simple
    Nope