Should men also learn how to cook and how to clean?

'How to clean' includes sweeping, washing dishes, etc.
  • Yes to both.
  • How to cook - yes, how to clean - no.
  • How to clean - yes, how to cook - no.
    Vote C
  • No to both.
    Vote D
  • Results.
    Vote E

520

520
  • I think it is not really the knowledge most of us lack. Some of them are just assholes and think that it is just for women. Others have other reasons. They just don't want to or "my wife does it" are other reasons.

• many of us already do... in fact in each relationship I was the one who did most of those anyway, my first and second and some degree my relationship with my ex wife it was a shared and semi shared responsibility

those guys who don't do it are most likely those clinging on to the belief that "women must be in the kitchen where they belong" which pisses me off cos those very same guys also are so oppressive too

• I didn't know cooking and cleaning are meant for a specific gender group. No activity, except those that are biological deterministic (for example, childbirth, egg production, sperm production, etc.), is the province of one gender group.

• I mean yeah, even if they don't live with anybody then men should at least know how to be self sufficient. Can't expect your mom and then girlfriend/wife to do everything for you just cus.

• I'd like to get better at both

But it's not in my nature to be good at these sorts of things... lol

• Most do both. One of my male friends is married, he works till 2 as a teacher but his wife works till 6/7 and he usually cleans the house and cooks before she comes home at 7. When she walks through the door he hands her a glass of wine and gives her a kiss. Cutest thing I've ever witnessed.

• Of course. It's something a responsible adult should know, so everybody, man or woman, should have the basics down.

• 5 d ago

I don't 😄
      I know nothing about cooking or cleaning... my future wife will surely be a housewife sonshe will do it all and i'll do what a real man does... which is working hard outside to provide for her and the family...

• 5 d ago

@TonyMetal_86 Maybe I can see where the woman would do majority of the house work if the husband is working 9-5 and this was their agreed dynamic, or vise versa, but in my future relationship, I expect us both to work, so it'd be unfair for only one of us to keep up with the chores.

• Both are very basic things that anyone should be able to do. Most people at some point in the earlier phase of their life live alone. Imagine if they a) cannot clean and b) cannot cook. It would be a pigsty.

• Everyone should have basic knowledge about how to cook and clean. That being said, there is nothing wrong with having household chores distributed among partners.

• ''... yes to both..." however: I get criticized about the level of performance. This makes me wonder: what are the standards on ''good cooking'' or on ''clean''? ... :D

• Most men live on their own
    They learn to do all these things

I clean and cook for myself, its easy

• Yes to both. Everyone needs to know how to cook, clean and do laundry.

• Every self-sufficient human being knows how to clean and cook.

• Nope to both cause i'll marry a girl who adores to become a housewife... also house chores and cooking were always meant for women and that's how it will always be with me

• 5 d ago

Cooking and housework weren't "always meant for women."

"Hosea 7:4 describes men as bakers, Abraham’s cook was a young man, and Isaac instructed his son to cook dinner before receiving his blessing. (Genesis 18:7, 27:4)
      The Levites cooked for their brethren in the Temple service so their duties could proceed uninterrupted.(2 Chronicles 35:14–15) The disciples did as Jesus had directed them; and they prepared the Passover.(Matthew 26:19)(...)
      There are numerous commandments for men to wash their own clothing."
      www.raisingrealmen.com/.../

2 Kings 21:13 "And I will stretch over Jerusalem the line of Samaria, and the plummet of the house of Ahab: and I will wipe Jerusalem as ****a man wipeth a dish,*** wiping it, and turning it upside down."

should women do more of the housework than men? Yes. This is only fair, because it's the man who already has to work to provide for the shelter & all the household's necessities (Ex 21:10, Eph 5:25-30, Prov 19:14).
      But housework isn't off-limits to men, and men are commanded to love their wives, and if they love their wives, then they'll help out.

Also, if you don't know how to do housework, then what will you do if your wife ever dies?

• 5 d ago

@mistixs mistixs can you just stop giving me quotes from the bible, cause i represent myself and no one else...

This is the way i am, do you prefer a liar or an honest man?

If my future wife gave me her heart and did everything for me and she died, i'm not sure if i'll ever live without her and if i did, i'll bring a maid once a week to clean my whole house and i'll eat outside... period

• 5 d ago

I thought you were religious?

• There is no real reason why not. Men who can't cook or clean are embarassment. Same goes for women.

• Most all adults know how to cook and clean, and if they can’t, then they need to grow up.

• Yes. Obviously.

• Of course . Cooking is my currrent job lol

• ABSOLUTELY

• I know how to clean, but I can't cook

• Men are the best chefs in the world.

• We already do. Cooking and cleaning isn't rocket science

• I can out cook and out clean most women.. so um there is that.. and that's because most women these days aren't taught how to take care of them selves..

Thank God the man (my grandfather) had a brain and raised me to take care of my self.

• Well, in my experience most men today already know how to cook better than most women. There are very few women who know how to cook anymore.

As far as cleaning, men should be expected to clean to their own standards, not women's standards. The fact is women care much more about having a clean house than men do. On a cleanliness scale of 1 to 10, the average woman expects the house to be 8 - 10 while the average man is content with 4 - 6. The outcome is usually that the woman will do all the cleaning because she will not be satisfied with things ever getting down to a 6, and a man will never be motivated to clean because the level of cleanliness never sinks to his threshold. If women lowered their standards to the male range, they could expect to get equal engagement from men, but it's not really fair to expect men to raise their standards to women's range.

• nah it's for kitchen robots

• 5 d ago

Unfortunately, such robots do not exist yet...

• 5 d ago

That's kinda right but still you can buy a slave for that.