Why is it your fault if the person wrongs you again?

I don't agree with the saying ''fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me''.

Why should it be your fault the second time they wronged you? It's their own fault for wasting that second chance you gave them. That was the moment they had their chance to redeem themselves.

I treated someone unfair for a couple years and the girl still gave me a second chance in 9th grade. I never took advantage of it. Instead I used it to become a better person. Though we don't hang out too much nowadays (she has kids and is busy practically all the time), we still keep in touch from time to time.
9 d ago
It should be ''fool me, (doesn't matter if it's the first or second time) shame on you''.

33

Most Helpful Guy

• It's meant to be a statement about wariness. It is true that it doesn't account for dragging the person out of their house and tossing them to a mob to have their useless leeching soul physically excised from society, but some might construe that as a tad messy, and cleanermto just warn each other about avoiding him.

Most Helpful Girl

• You should have learned first time.. you literally let it happen again to yourself.
    Morons gotta moron I suppose.