Why should a guy try to restrain a girl, who is assaulting him, instead of knocking her out, even though it means he risks something like THIS: ?

https://eu. eveningsun. com/story/news/2019/05/15/police-adams-county-pa-woman-punches-man-groin-causes-serious-injury/3678124002/
(delete the spaces after "eu." and "eveningsun." for the link to work)
Why should HER safety be his first priority, even though SHE IS ATTACKING HIM? Why shouldn't he be allowed to do WHATEVER most easily neutralizes the threat to him?

27