How do I go about renting a room? Should I look online or should I ask my aunt?

My aunt says she might buy a house but she would rent the basement. Should I go for it? Or should I try to find my own room to rent away from my family. I just wish I had some privacy.

0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• rent from aunt as long as you can live in some peace there. save $, you don't go on your own until you have cash in the bank as a cushion. I'd do this for like...5 years maybe, set some goals and strive for them financially.

after that, you have to learn how to manage money and not lose it. learn budgeting, investing... it never stops. but for now, don't blow money on rent if you can at all avoid it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Why rent a basement that's like living in the
    Attic. If you can't find a proper house with a decent bedroom stay with your step dad it's free rent

1|0
    0|0
    • 4 d ago

I want my own room.

• Show All
    • 4 d ago

Not me I love the cold 🥶 lol 😂 I can’t stand the heat

• 4 d ago

Wow Miami won't do you justice then unless you vacation in the cold months

• You should go to your aunt's. Renting a room is dodgy. The affordable options are more than likely going to be in an unlicensed HMO. I've seen this TV programme where such properties are raided by police and housing officers.

1|0
    0|0
  • If your aunt is cool with like you doing stuff you like and she won't really bother you than I'd say go with her because maybe she will even decrease your rent but if not than get your own place

1|0
    0|0
  • what? i thought you were taking care of your mother? if you don't watch her, she'll get you into debt again.

1|0
    0|0
  • Dep. how much rent she will charge you and how much you can earn and save monthly. You can always offer to help her with yard work or other chores to lower the rent.
    My sister did that and it helped her.
    She rented (lived) in our brothers basement (own entrance, kitchen, bathroom) small window for about 3-5 years. I forgot. She helped with snow/trash removal. She was able to work at a decent job, then bought her own apartment.
    The basement is now rented out to another distant relative, so he can get his foot in.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you want privacy, best to find your own situation.

1|0
    0|0
  • Craigslist

1|0
    0|0
  • Get your own place

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes