1 mo

How do you cope after losing a pet?

How do you cope after losing a pet?
My family found out last week that my sister's dog has cancer and has 3 weeks left to live. They said chemo could prolong her life for 3-6 months, but she cannot be cured. My sister has decided to put her down instead of prolong her life with a treatment that won't cure her and will make her feel worse. Her dog has had several health problems on top of just being old within the past few years including losing most of her hearing, all of her sight in her left eye, and most of her sight in her right eye.

My sister's dog is everyone's dog in our family. She's had her since she was 6 months old, and she's now 12 1/2. I've never had to put a dog down before. I'm nervous of how to deal with the pain, and I'm sure my sister isn't ready. She's stressed already with just being a wife, mother, and career woman.

How did you deal with losing a pet? How long did it take for you to push through? I'm scared because my own dog just turned 11, and now all I can think about is the day she will die, too.
How do you cope after losing a pet?
21
21