1 mo

When is the last time you did a good deed for a stranger?

tallandsweet
For me, it was a few days ago and took me a lot of willpower and energy, but it was worth it.

I had a non-online university event that I had completely forgotten about and only went there to meet other people really, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten myself to get out of bed.
Campus in the states [Photo by Ryan Jacobson on Unsplash]
One of the people there had arrived fewer than 24 hours prior to the event and was a little shy at first. I talked to everyone (I'm good at breaking the ice), but in the end, I felt like this one particular guy needed my help most.

That's why I helped him and his best friend get a prepaid card for their smartphones. They needed one to access cellular data, otherwise they would've been dependent on bad wifi. The main problem with that was that it is fairly difficult to activate a prepaid card in Germany when you don't speak the language (my mother tongue is Germanm, so that was my "special skill" in this case). You need to register your prepaid card using your ID or passport, and since they have a non-European passport, things were more complicated than I had anticipated.
Imagine coming from a culture like this and then... [Photo by Alex Vasey on Unsplash]
I showed them the nice parts of the city and had a snack with them too. They said I was the best thing that could've happened to the two of them. I'm glad they also pointed out I was the most energized, fun and welcoming person they'd met in a while and that they were glad I didn't seem racist.
Imagine the culture shock they will experience [Photo by Ansgar Scheffold on Unsplash]
In my opinion, giving your time and special skills to someone is the most beautiful gift.
Doing this took up a lot of my time and energy, but it was worth it for sure.
14
4