Do you think consistently taking care of ones looks can set the tone for them to be harshly judged by the rest of society?

Anonymous
I started to wear makeup when I was 16. It was just lip gloss. Then, when I was 17-18 I went through a phase where I plucked my eyebrows super thin. After I realized how horrible that looks I started to fill in my eyebrows until they grew back to a normal size. I also started experimenting with other makeup. By the time I was 21 I wore a little every day, at 22 I got really good at it and started being told I should be a makeup artist for a profession. I realized I couldn’t have my makeup so neat and not have the perfectly neat hair to match, or nice outfits that were always wrinkle free, perfectly fitting, stylish, etc. Finally, midway through age 23 I realized I hadn’t gone a single day at my job without wearing some makeup. I look the exact same as I did years ago. I was told ALL the time that I was a pretty girl, even as a teen before I got involved with makeup and when the only thing I did to my hair was wear a ponytail. I actually feel that as an adult my natural beauty even outshines what it was when I was a child because I have grown into my looks. But whenever I’m not wearing any makeup I feel hyper aware of my flaws and like others are as well. I feel like I get told I look tired and have even been called ugly. A friend of mine told me that someone who flirted with me every single day saw me without makeup and said I wasn’t cute. I laughed it off because being good looking isn’t everything, but it was still upsetting deep down. Not that he was no longer attracted to me, but that behind my back he could find nothing better to do than insult me and glorify natural women while shaming me for trying to show my natural beauty that day. In high school, when all I wore was lipgloss-I felt that I never was judged so harshly for my looks. As an adult it’s like you have to live up to perfection around you and if you set a bar for yourself that you can’t maintain you will be judged harsher than if you never tried to take care of your appearance in he first place
2
1