Is graduate school worth it?

For those of you considering/in/completed graduate school, is it worth the cost? has it helped you significantly?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It honestly depends on your major or field of interest. Me for example, I'm in IT and anything beyond a Bachelor's degree (in a lot of instances) is really worthless. IT fields are centered much more around actual experience, hands-on knowledge, and getting the broad scope of technology under your belt so you can perform practically and not by the book like most classroom settings guide people into.

This is partly due to technology changing so fast, partly that computers and technology can be learned outside of the classroom, and partly because, outside of software development (which is the front end to all technology and thus more creative and abstract), a lot of IT work has only a certain number of possibilities as to how it can work. So it comes down to memorizing and learning how to troubleshoot those problems or make something work as it should.

So yeah, a long winded answer to say: It depends on what you're going to school for.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• yes (PhD). A few things to keep in mind. It needs to be a good school. You need to be able to contribute to the school. Do you have enough experience to make it worth it. Try not to get crazy in debt to do it.

1|0
    0|0
    • by "experience" what do you mean?

• Depending on what you are trying to do... they are going to be interested in what you bring to the program that sets you apart or that allows you to contribute.

For instance, most MBA programs (at a top 20 school) are looking for students that have some work experience (3 to 5 years). It helps it is international experience or something else that is unique. Other types of programs are going to be more interested in grades than work experience. (All are interested in grades)

• It really depends on your major.

For instance, I'm engineering. Anything more than a bachelors makes you overqualified for a lot of things. Most engineering firms pay for post-grad degrees once they have gotten comfortable enough to raise you up the ladder. But I could see an engineering or physics post-grad being brutal.

If you're psych, post-grad isn't even optional. You have to be as informed and up-to-date as possible. (much like engineering and physics.)

If it's art, history, philosophy, or any "soft science", you're basically putting sprinkles on sh*t, no offense, unless you decide you want to teach. The job market is really rough in those areas.

But if it's about personal accomplishment, try to become a TA. That'll pay your tuition and housing, usually. Those majors would be interesting to go farther into.

0|2
    1|0
  • i have been thinking about it, but I think I'm better off getting certifications instead (IT field) considering its a lot cheaper and most places say bachelors and some certs

0|0
    0|0
  • depends entirely on what you're going there for. if your major is history, philosophy, English literature or some other crap you can't get a job with, it's worthless.

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes