I'm Catholic... He's Baptist...

We want to get married, but I'm a bit scared. I want a traditional catholic ceremony, but his parents are pretty hard-core baptists. Is there a way for both ceremonies to take place at once? How can I work it out to have a catholic ceremony and a baptist one? I need the catholic ceremony so that its a real marriage and I don't go to hell if we... well... Ya'know... ;) and stuff... I want it to be a real wedding for both of us. Help.

14

Most Helpful Guy

• My family is a bit more non-denominational than Baptist. My brother-in-law grew up Catholic. He converted when he married my sister.

I don't know all the specifics about Catholicism, but I do know at the very root of both it and Baptism, they are both denominations of Christianity.

Is there something special about Catholicism and the ceremony before consummation that has to be done to make it valid?

• The couple must be capable of being married that is, they must be a woman and a man who are free of any impediment that would prevent marriage.

The couple must give their consent to be married that is, by an act of their will they irrevocably give and accept one another in order to establish marriage.

They must follow the canonical form for marriage that is, they must be married according to the laws of the Church so that the Church and the wider community will be certain about the

• When you say laws of the Church, is that a Catholic specific thing, or does it generalize to more or less all Christianity? If it is generalizable, I don't see much of an issue as to why you couldn't easily work up a ceremony that satisfies both completely without making any big compromises. I know there are some differences in Catholicism with things like purgatory, but that doesn't have to do with the marriage ceremony, right?

• It's more the concent part... :

Have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage?

Will you love and honor each other as husband and wife for the rest of your lives?

Will you accept children lovingly from God, and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church? (Rite of Marriage #24)