I'm Catholic... He's Baptist...

We want to get married, but I'm a bit scared. I want a traditional catholic ceremony, but his parents are pretty hard-core baptists. Is there a way for both ceremonies to take place at once? How can I work it out to have a catholic ceremony and a baptist one? I need the catholic ceremony so that its a real marriage and I don't go to hell if we... well... Ya'know... ;) and stuff... I want it to be a real wedding for both of us. Help.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• My family is a bit more non-denominational than Baptist. My brother-in-law grew up Catholic. He converted when he married my sister.

I don't know all the specifics about Catholicism, but I do know at the very root of both it and Baptism, they are both denominations of Christianity.

Is there something special about Catholicism and the ceremony before consummation that has to be done to make it valid?

1|0
    0|0
    • The couple must be capable of being married that is, they must be a woman and a man who are free of any impediment that would prevent marriage.

The couple must give their consent to be married that is, by an act of their will they irrevocably give and accept one another in order to establish marriage.

They must follow the canonical form for marriage that is, they must be married according to the laws of the Church so that the Church and the wider community will be certain about the

• Show All
    • When you say laws of the Church, is that a Catholic specific thing, or does it generalize to more or less all Christianity? If it is generalizable, I don't see much of an issue as to why you couldn't easily work up a ceremony that satisfies both completely without making any big compromises. I know there are some differences in Catholicism with things like purgatory, but that doesn't have to do with the marriage ceremony, right?

• It's more the concent part... :

Have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage?

Will you love and honor each other as husband and wife for the rest of your lives?

Will you accept children lovingly from God, and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church? (Rite of Marriage #24)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Funny how if you remove religion from the equation, everything becomes so simple...

0|1
    0|0
    • funny how if you remove religion from the equation that's atheism...

• Show All
    • I don't want to have a religious debate, I'm just stating how simply things would be between you two if you would choose not to put your religion above him. Besides you're being completely unrespectful about his beliefs, as you consider a baptist marriage as "not being a real one". The ceremonies themselves are quite similar, but not the prerequisites to be eligible to such ceremony. For instance, he would have to go through penance, communion and confirmation.

• I know the pre-recs aren't similar, and I'm trying to find a compromise or something... :/

i'm no wedding planner :/ I'm just trying to find a way to make us both happy :/

• Get married in an anglican church and call it neutral?

0|0
    1|0
  • Doesn't matter you still can have a beautiful wedding, more info here https://religiousweddingguide. com/catholic-wedding-program-without-mass/

0|0
    0|0
  • your not even 18 yet, you shouldn't be getting married. And if you are then surly your marriage won't work. If you can't decide on something as mundane and unimportant as a party then how will you figure out how to raise your kids or do anything...If your parents are still influencing your decisions that's a sign your too young

0|0
    0|0
    • its not a party its a ceremony, there is a huge difference between the two. I can plan a party, that's easy. Its ensuring that both of our religious beliefs are respected and carried out to their fullest possible capacity that I'm having some trouble with.

And my parents only go to church on Christmas and easter, I'm the religious one. If they influenced me I'd be sleeping in on Sundays.

• Show All
    • 1) congratulations on your engagement!

2) some studies show that the human brain may not fully complete development until age 30... so just saying, your arguement is kinds invallad because you're under that age

• Most studies say 25. I've been 17 and in love but even back then I knew I was too young for marriage. If its meant to be there's no harm in waiting. Now is not the time to make life altering decisions because like I said your going to change a lot in the next 5 years. I won't lecture you anymore though, just think about it. good luck.

Recommended myTakes