Certain songs I downloaded on my cell phone will not play...why?

I do not have an android or anything fancy or iphone 5 no way. but I got a new phone and when I synched my itune songs onto my cell I realized that the only songs that will play are the ones I downloaded for free off the net whether limewire or YouTube. but the songs I downloaded on my itunes via cd do not play on my cell phone it says invalid or something. I do not get it. I am not very computer smart or savy. so if someone could explain it to me simply like I am a kid of how to get those cd songs to play on my cellphone would greatly appreciate it. give it to me step by step. thanks...

01