Why do we find the average(mean) size of an American male/female and not the median or mode size?

I am a male so I am going to focus on females here. This question can be replicated the exact same way with men!

The average American women size seems to be somewhere between size 12 and 14.

Now, these sizes seems very big and I don't even really know many people that size or larger. The reason? Maybe I don't have a certain social group...

OR...those who study or understand some statistics know that a few extreme answers can skew the results of the average(mean).

This is EXACTLY why we discuss the median American salary and not the mean. If the median is 27 thousand dollars, the mean may be 45 thousand dollars ONLY because the wealthiest people skew the results so far.

*Millionaires skew the salary too high as morbidly obese people skew the weight too high*

I believe this same thing happens with weight. If the mean female size is 12-14, I am willing to be the median(more appropriate statistically) will be around 6-8

ANY THOUGHTS?

************************************

Finally,

For anyone that talks about how women used to be sexier and bigger, around the size of Marilyn monroe, please read the story below.

link

20