What Qualifies as Evidence for God According to an Atheist?

What would be convincing evidence to you?

Also I would appreciate if some atheists can describe to me the type of God they don't believe in?

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of angry responses with this, this isn't my intention. I just would like to understand from an atheists perspective
Updates:
Why is it so hard to gather an educated response here... or a response at all. Do you have a reason for your position at all?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• As someone that was raised ina very Christian household and went from trying to save all of humanity from the Devil to an agnostic and back to Christianity I can tell you this. I knew that I believed what I believed because I was raised that way, but it didn't mean that that was what I believed. So I set out to find what I did believe. Nothing in any other religion made sense to me and in an act of desperation to believe that perchance there might be something out there greater than myself I begged God to show me something.

He spoke to me and asked me if I remembered the first really bad battle with depression I had. All the bad things that had broken me down that week until I could barely continue. I told Him yes. He asked if I remembered how I slept that day that all the crap hit the fan. And then I knew. If anything it was as real as it had been the day it happened. I was at the end of my rope about to fall over the edge into nothing and I prayed that God would save me. I was laying on my bed weeping and hoping for something to end what I was feeling. And suddenly in the deepest despair I have ever had I felt someone lift me up and hold me like a baby in their arms (only I was 15 at the time). I remember low humming and the feeling of weightlessness and being held until I drifted off into the most peaceful sleep I have ever had. I knew right before I fell asleep that God had picked me up and held me to ease my suffering. When I remembered much like as I write this I almost break down. With all the things He has on His plate I was important enough that He came down and held me until I fell asleep. That is amazing. Once you have that close of an experience you can't help but believe.

And while I am not perfect and I refuse to call myself a Christian due to not walking like Christ I do have a very Christ based faith that is very real. And I know no matter what I have a higher power that believes I am important enough that in my darkest hour of need He will come down and cradle me like the child I am and the Father He is.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Some kind of personal experience in which I somehow knew, without a doubt, that God was present/talking to me, would probably convince me.

I'm not really sure what you're going for with the "what type of God you don't believe in" question. As far as me personally, I haven't personally seen evidence for the existence of any God or gods - but given the lack of evidence either way, I consider myself agnostic rather than atheist. I was raised in a Protestant household, so the "love thy neighbor" variety of Christian God is the one I'm most familiar with, although I know there are many different gods worshipped around the world. If you're asking what type of god I think is most likely or least likely to exist? I have no idea.

Honestly, if I were required to say that I believed in a god and describe that god, I would probably say that this god set the universe in motion and then sat down in a beach chair and sucked down some cold ones while watching what unfolded like we watch reality TV - with some interest, but without an actual ability or desire to interfere with what's happening.

I hope that got somewhere close to answering your question!

0|0
    0|0
  • It's hard to even wrap my mind about what would be considered evidence. If I "heard God's voice" I would go to a doctor for hallucinations. The only evidence I can think of is, when I die, there's God, and turns out I have a soul. Oops.

Keep in mind that most atheists aren't just being stubborn and need convincing. I simply consider God to be categorized with other supernatural beings/concepts like Zeus, ghosts, demons, systematic karma, etc. I don't believe in any of them.

2|0
    0|0
    • How have people not answered your question? You asked us for our viewpoints and we gave them.

• For me, I believe in something when I see/experience it. I do not consider myself an atheist, I choose to disconnect myself from any sort of religion because in all honesty, religion causes way to may problems. Also, I do not like how some families force their children into a religion. I'm not against the idea of god, but for me to be able to "believe" in it, I need to be able to see/experience it.

0|0
    0|0
  • The only thing that would make me believe is if god came down and addressed everyone at the same time, and said 'I am god' and did some miracles to prove it, and then shot back up into the sky. If a crowd sees it and its concrete then its undeniable, but that sounds like a ridiculous thing to want to prove god exists, and the reason why it sounds ridiculous is because the idea of a god is equally ridiculous IN MY OPINION

1|0
    0|0
    • when people expect miracles I find it really irritating like you expect crazy things to happen but what what's already out there may be a miracle and your just not seeing it in that way.

• a miracle has divine connotations attached to it, life is grand, and glorious and truly beautiful how its evolved, and if God is all knowing and all powerful, then why would it be so hard for him to just address mankind as a whole and say 'I am God, I created everything and it is your duty to follow me'... I mean he could save millions of lives from war and death over religion... its so petty and un-godlike to not do it

• Why'd you ask this again? I remember answering this exact same question before, and it had a ton of good responses to go off of.

The evidence doesn't matter as none of it can ever possibly be conclusive. Some believe, some don't. Some will change during their life, others won't.

The single biggest thing to remember always is that NO ONE IS WRONG FOR FOLLOWING THEIR OWN PERSONAL CONVICTION ON THIS ISSUE.

If you want to be a smug, holier than thou Christian, you're perfectly entitled to it, but recognize that it contradicts your savior a teachings.

If I want to be an arrogant atheist, that's up to me.

Either way you slice it, we'll end up in the same boat... Burning in hell or worm food. There is no difference in belief systems if you don't adhere to the one you choose 100%.

1|0
    0|0
  • Firsthand experience... his almighty hand slapping me around or something like that.

The idea is that coincidences happen. I have watched stuff happen in microscopes (cell division, crystallization, etc) and it never made me think "This is the work of god" whereas for other people it would. I believe that people are prone to see what they want to see, and believe what they want to believe. I don't want to believe in god, so I'm not likely to attribute any random occurrence to him. Since I have no desire to believe, then it would have to happen very forcibly.

0|0
    0|0
    • To answer your question more specifically... I don't believe in any sort of creator or unmoved mover. A lot of people say that the laws of the universe had be created by someone/something, but I just don't buy it. The universe is the way it is, simply by pure dumb luck. There could be a million universes with all different natural laws. We just happen to be in this one. God didn't put the earth in the goldilocks zone, it just happen by accident. Mankind happened by accident.

• Ok, What qualifies for evidence that there isn't a God according to a theist? Because let me tell you, there is FAR more compelling evidence for the non existence of God than there is for the existence. Its the typical double standard with theists, the 'Evidence' they claim to have (even though most of it isn't evidence) is always indisputable but the actual evidence an atheist produces is always shoved to the side. I'm not going to bother listing any evidence because lets be honest, if you can't think of any evidence yourself for the non existence then I think you'd need to be brain dead.

0|0
    0|0
    • evidence that there isn't a God according to a theist would be: being able to test conformed reality outside what is testible, its an oxymoron. We do not believe God is an entity within the universe he created however we do have plenty of evidence in the form of scripture, reports, transcripts, physical engravings and artifacts. Besides... this is beside the point. The claim that people of FAITH have is different then that of an atheist, being a theist isn't outright claiming God exists on the

• Show All
    • you have the mindset of circular reasoning

• I'm only chiming in on this because unicorns were invoked. Popular theories of metaphysics hold that unicorns are nonexistent beings. That we have an image and a word for a nonexistent being is irrelevant, as those attributes apply merely to the idea or concept of a unicorn. Just because we have a word for it and a common understanding of what it is does not magically make one exist. Thus, there is a strong metaphysical argument that god doesn't exist, simply because he's never around.

• Only way I'd believe in God is if I meet him. For me, believing in God is like believing in aliens or in Bigfoot

0|0
    0|0
  • I would have to see and experience it myself.

2|0
    0|0
  • you can't prove anything exists without empirical evidence. link

The so called historical evidence is a joke and there is no supporting scientific evidence. The scriptural side? really that totally begs the question.

bottom line you've got no empirical evidence.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe in the one who says women get pregnant from rape because god intended it to happen. link

0|0
    0|0
  • God (or any deity) is a being who is omniscient and omnipotent, or as close to it as makes no Earthly difference.

Evidence would be something which concretely and repeatedly violated the laws of physics, or encoded information (in line with statistical entropic theory on languages) buried in a fundamental constant of the universe.

In other words, something that could not reasonably be explained by appeal to natural if unknown forces.

0|1
    0|0
  • A clear demonstration of supernatural ability with no other explanation.

Or discovering something about the universe which had no other explanation other than a creative intelligence. (A great example given in Cosmos by Carl Sagan - at around the 20 billionth decimal place in Pi, something weird happens to the numbers, and they form a message in 10 dimensions. But Pi is a fundamental constant in the universe, so anything put in there has to be there by design at the creation of the universe.)

In other words, something that stands up to sceptical inquiry.

0|0
    0|0
  • ...nothing...?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes