What Qualifies as Evidence for God According to an Atheist?

What would be convincing evidence to you?

Also I would appreciate if some atheists can describe to me the type of God they don't believe in?

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of angry responses with this, this isn't my intention. I just would like to understand from an atheists perspective
Why is it so hard to gather an educated response here... or a response at all. Do you have a reason for your position at all?

510

Most Helpful Girl

• As someone that was raised ina very Christian household and went from trying to save all of humanity from the Devil to an agnostic and back to Christianity I can tell you this. I knew that I believed what I believed because I was raised that way, but it didn't mean that that was what I believed. So I set out to find what I did believe. Nothing in any other religion made sense to me and in an act of desperation to believe that perchance there might be something out there greater than myself I begged God to show me something.

He spoke to me and asked me if I remembered the first really bad battle with depression I had. All the bad things that had broken me down that week until I could barely continue. I told Him yes. He asked if I remembered how I slept that day that all the crap hit the fan. And then I knew. If anything it was as real as it had been the day it happened. I was at the end of my rope about to fall over the edge into nothing and I prayed that God would save me. I was laying on my bed weeping and hoping for something to end what I was feeling. And suddenly in the deepest despair I have ever had I felt someone lift me up and hold me like a baby in their arms (only I was 15 at the time). I remember low humming and the feeling of weightlessness and being held until I drifted off into the most peaceful sleep I have ever had. I knew right before I fell asleep that God had picked me up and held me to ease my suffering. When I remembered much like as I write this I almost break down. With all the things He has on His plate I was important enough that He came down and held me until I fell asleep. That is amazing. Once you have that close of an experience you can't help but believe.

And while I am not perfect and I refuse to call myself a Christian due to not walking like Christ I do have a very Christ based faith that is very real. And I know no matter what I have a higher power that believes I am important enough that in my darkest hour of need He will come down and cradle me like the child I am and the Father He is.