Was the Holocaust inevitable?

I would like to hear your thoughts. Antisemitism was rampant at that time, and my feeling is that Hitler basically beat others, namely Stalin, to the "punch". I feel it would have happened, perhaps maybe on a smaller scale, no matter who was in charge. And yes, there is evidence that Stalin, towards the end of his life, was concocting another Jewish holocaust. What brought this up was that I'm reading a book about a guy who goes back in time to save JFK, which got me thinking about going back in time to kill Hitler, which got me thinking if it would have made a difference.

Intelligent answers only please.
No, you idiots. I was reading a book which got me thinking about it. F***, read the goddamn question. And yes, the Soviet Union had already killed millions of dissidents, and they were as antisemitic as they come.
Warning: This evidence isn't conclusive, it's based off of memoirs and such. But it is thought-provoking. link

05

Most Helpful Guy

• My view on it is something like this... When people talk about time travel, they always mention killing Hitler. This is a terrible idea in my mind, because had the holocaust not have happened then the world wouldn't have learned that lesson, and it would still be happening to a massive extent today. There are a few current/recent genocides, but imagine if mankind never learned the lesson of just how atrocious genocide really is? Imagine if we didn't have the international courts and agencies meant to prevent/deal with such crimes?

I'm not saying that the Jewish Holocaust was necessarily inevitable, but if could be prevented, I believe that there would be a tremendous negative result in the present. I think that we as a species learned a tremendous lesson from such a tragedy, and in many ways, it had to happen once just so that it wouldn't continue to happen over and over again.

The millions of lives lost by all parties involved was a tremendously expensive price to pay, but it legitimately shaped and influenced the entire future of humankind.

• Its funny, I was thinking the same thing. If it hadn't happened in the forties, maybe it's the fifties, or sixties, when technology is better and weapons are more advanced. And for the last time, I'm not saying I want or can or should time travel.

• There have been genocides before Hitler, like

-the highly probable genocide of Indians by Muslims during the late Middle Ages

-the genocide of native Americans by English and French settlers

-the genocide of the Armenians by the Turks

-the genocide of Congolese by Belgians during the 19th century

There have been genocides after Hitler, like

-the genocide in Algeria by the French

-the genocide in central Africa (Ruanda) by the Tutsis

-the genocide in Iraq by the USA

• And I completely acknowledge that it wasn't the only one... ("There are a few current/recent genocides...")

My point is that in the industrial age, it was the biggest, both in magnitude and the shaping effect that it continues to have to this day and into the future. That's all I'm trying to say. The effects of the Holocaust having happened are felt nearly everyday by every first world western country, that's undeniable.