My boyfriend and I are starting to run out of things to talk about... should I be worried?

Maybe this is more on my behalf than his... but I'm starting to get worried he is losing interest. Sometimes I feel like he's absolutely crazy about me and then other times it's like he doesn't really care as much? I'm not sure if that's the right way to describe it.

Lately though, it seems like we have nothing to talk about... and he makes it kind of clear. Maybe he just doesn't like talking on the phone or texting at all. In person he's been quiet lately... I'm quiet and I need someone kind of chatty. He used to be pretty talkative. Maybe he's said all he can say?

On the phone though... after like 15-20 min has gone by he is generally like "well, I guess we don't have anything else to talk about." Sometimes when I tell him personal stuff going on in my life he just kind of says uh huh and doesn't really offer any insight. when I ask him if he's even listening he can always verbatim repeat back what I've said though.

I don't know... I'm so confused. The first few weeks we dated we could be on the phone for two hours and have no problem talking. He seems to be out of things to say to me. Maybe it's because I'm a girl? He talks to his friends some... mostly about sports and whatnot. I have little to contribute in my sports knowledge, but I really try.

I'm starting to think we lack chemistry... Shouldn't conversation be easy, not a challenge? I mean, I'm pretty sure he's really into me... he's told his entire family about me. He's bought me jewelery and a stuffed animal and he cooks for me. I don't know what happened though... it's like that spark burned out... and yet he still wants me around kind of? I don't know. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. I don't know what's going on, but I do like him and I don't want to say anything in case it's just nothing. Why start a fight for no reason... but I am worried.
  • Yes
  • No
  • Other
    Vote C

24

Most Helpful Guy

• You're smothering him. He probably doesn't even realize that's what is happening.

He needs space - he needs a life, and time with his friends, apart from you. A little bit, every week.

Then there's a chance he'll have something to talk about with you, some event or whatever, where you weren't there, and so you don't already know everything he has to say.

• hm yeah, that's fine. I don't mind at all. I'm actually way happier if that makes him happier! I was worried he was just losing interest. I actually kind of don't like talking on the phone every day... he suggests it all the time. I feel like I'm just talking to talk when we're on the phone... so this is good!