Do you think people buy things based more on emotions or logic?

People at my work say people mostly buy out of emotions.

Do you agree or no?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• it's commonly held that you buy based on emotion but use logic to justify the purchase to yourself.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• As a Marketing major, I've learned it's both. You have to logically think you have a need like "omg I really do need something to tone my arms" but then for most low involvement purchases (So not like a car or house) emotion plays a large part ie "gee that shake weight commercial was hilarious I'll buy it".

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd say that most people may buy out of necessity (logic) but decide what they buy out of preference (emotion).

For instance, food. That's a logical thing to buy. However, I'm not going to buy green beans if I don't like them. But I love fruit, and sweet things make me happy, so I'll buy that.

You need clothes. But how often you buy them and which clothes you buy are based on your emotional state (as well as financial) and how you react to each article of clothing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the item.

White goods (fridges, washing machines, etc) are mainly chosen on the specifications & price. With electronics and more sophisticated technology, it depends on the consumer's knowledge - a knowledgeable buyer will be mainly influenced by the specifications and price; an ignorant person will buy Apple.

In contrast, clothes and most low value items are mainly chosen with the heart rather than the head.

Big-ticket items like houses and cars need to satisfy both.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone does both...

That is why the cash lanes have all that stuff in them...

Impulse buys...

but some people are more to Logic, and others, more to Emotions...

Sometimes, I go shopping cause I need something...

Sometimes, I go shopping cause I'm sad...

but what I buy.. is almost always a product of how it makes me feel when I'm there...

0|0
    0|0
  • LOL if the majority of people were rational, then the world would look nothing like it does today.

I'm gonna go with emotions.

0|0
    0|0
  • I buy on logic. I always know what I want before I decide to go to the store and get it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Had a talk with a marketing major at my school last year, and apparently I'm really ignorant to how other people really act. We were talking about packaging, advertisements, marketing campaigns, etc...and basically she said that catchy jingles or slogans would make her want to buy a product (and it's true for a lot of other people as well), while that kind of stuff doesn't absolutely jack for me. I look at what I need the product for, how good it is in doing what I need it to do, the quality, etc.

0|0
    0|0
    • Hehe. I would take whatever a Major in anything tells you with a grain of salt. (with the exception of the hard sciences)

• Depends on the individual. I would say most people buy based on emotion.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most people should buy out of logic, but there's some personality types that just do strange things sometimes. For example, I'm an art student and I work a waitress job. I recently got my paycheck and made a trip to the art store, accidentally spending all of my money there at once, so now I have to mooch off of my roommate for a month. People like to think that they're logical big picture wise, but in the moment, they'd more likely go with emotion. Of course, again, it could have to do with different people and different personality types.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think people go with emotions, people want all these government programs that "help" people even though we can't afford them. If someone says that we can't afford it people will argue about their stuff being taken away.

0|1
    0|1
    • I misunderstood I tout you meant buy ideas.

Recommended myTakes