If my appendix is inflamed, can I do something about it?

A couple of months ago, I went to the doctor because I had pain in the lower abdomen and the doctor said my appendix was inflamed. She said to monitor it. For about 3-4 months, the pain has been coming and leaving every week or so and getting a little worse. If it doesn't burst, can I do something to stop it from bursting? I'm going on vacation in 4 months and I don't want something to happen to disrupt my vacation plans...

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know if, short of having surgery, there's any way to cure an inflamed appendix. The doctor is probably just wanting to wait and see if it will resolve itself, but thatt doesn't happen too ofen.Sooner or later you'll probably have to have it removed. Talk with your doctor and see if you can have it done before vacation. Usually you will be back up and able to participate in sports in about a month after the surgery.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Doctors would usually prescribe corticosteroids or an NSAID regiment for any inflammation lasting longer than a week.

0|0
    0|0
  • go on a juice diet.

0|0
    0|0
  • get it taken out before it bursts?

0|0
    0|0
  • my daughter had one attack(she was throwing up) and they took hers out, I've never heard of this 'it's inflamed so let's just continue to watch it' approach. Go to the ER betcha they'll take the sucker out for you and it takes just a couple of weeks to recover and in four months you'd be totally back to normal(actually in a month you would be). Wait till it hurts again and go to the ER.

0|0
    0|0
  • Call your doctor and let him/her know you're having this pain and how often and that you're going on a vacation. If nothing can be done about it before your vacation don't go. You wouldn't want them to burst while you're off somewhere especially if it's no where near a hospital.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes