What methods do you use when training a puppy?

My chihuahua pup is 10 weeks old. He is doing well with learning how to walk on a leash :) I want to train him to sit, stay, lay down, roll over and high five. I use positive reinforcement, what do you use? Also just today he showed some aggression and tried to bite when I was putting a little sweater on him, how should I combat that? (it gets very cold in the winter and since he has short hair I want to teach him to like sweaters)

416

Most Helpful Guy

• Try hand training.

Chihuahuas are very smart, so you've got a decent chance with them. I've tried training my gfs' little dogs and it isn't always easy. One time I was mauled by a whole pack of Pomeranians because I must have offended them with one of my hand gestures. Don't throw a west side sign to some east coast lap dogs. Those Pomies don't play.

Here's a good site that talks about an intuitive way to get most dogs to obey, because it comes natural to them to follow your hand movements: link

As far as the aggression goes, Caesar whats-his-name from the Dog Whisperer is right: make a loud noise - usually a hiss works great, and clap your hands at the same time, or lightly touch them with your foot if you're walking them. Don't punt them. Chihuahuas have great hang time, but they never stick the landing. Just tap the hindquarters or even stomp the ground a little next to him. After several of these, you can nix the stomping and clapping, etc. The effect of the hiss will be the same.

I always take my dogs to the dog park, too. If you have one in your area, it's great to get them socialized and used to all the sensory input. Just watch out for Pomeranian gangs.