Ever liked a girl enough to "give up"

Guys have ever been hurt enough by a girl that you liked so much you decided to "give up"?

I am recently missing an ex I haven't talked to in about 8 months and he pretty much disappeared out of my life after the split. He's done all he can to ignore me. I know I hurt him but I was extremely confused at the time.

A guy friend of mine said it is possible that the reason he went MIA is because of how much he liked me and decided to quit trying. Does this sound logical? If so, could I have pushed him away for good?

02