Is this a good mile time?

I don't know what I can even do at this point for athletics (basically out of college), but I just started caring about running again. Today I was at home, at a ton of food, drove back to college, got out of the car and ran. About half way through I realized I was dehydrated and that slowed me down. I felt weak running which would not have happened if I had prepared and hydrated before hand. That would probably shave 20 seconds off the time.

I ran .85 miles in 4:30 without pushing myself fully for the last decent amount. So assuming I keep this pace, it'd be a 4:53 mile time. This is with zero prep, little stretching, and not pushing myself. Not to mention I run once a week.

I feel good about it. If I trained a little more, hydrated, and stretched a ton before the run, how low do you think I could get that number? Is it something that with some training, I could compete in meets?
Supposed to say "ate a ton of food"

52

Most Helpful Girl

• 4:53 isn't bad at all, especially considering that you're just starting again!

My fastest mile time is about 4:40, but I'm a girl. I try to run 3-6 miles every day.

But try to keep up your endurance. If you can run a 5k in about 20 minutes, that's really good. Running one mile is nothing compared to 3 miles.

Do stretch though! It's vital to running, not that it makes you run faster but it prevents injuries.

Definitely push yourself. If running is fun to you, then pursue it. If you trained more and dedicated yourself to it, you could probably run a 4:30 mile.

Good luck! Make sure to get a good pair of trainers!

• I'd be interested to see how much time I could shave off by just hydrating before hand and pushing myself to the end. But thanks for the info! I don't necessarily enjoy running a ton, but I love going when I need to get my mind off something. I would go for longer distances but I get so bored :P So I think I'll train to mush myself for the best mile time possible. Then if I get bored going after that, I'll train for a 5k max.

• As of February, 2008 that is Alan Webb of South Lakes HS in Reston, VA who ran a 3:53.43 at the Prefontaine Classic in 2001.

a woman is not even close to that

• Dude, give it a rest. Look up the womans world record. It is relatively close to that. This girl runs every single day and her best was a 4:40. I think you're just annoyed and won't take her answer for what it is, because she's better than you at that... and it hurts you to know that a girl is better than you. Am I far off? Could be, but doubt it.