How to stop myself from eating really fast?

i have a horrible habit of eating really fast and I try really hard not to when I am out in public. but at home I can eat a meal in less then 5 minutes sometimes. I don't mean to do it, I'm really embarrassed about it. I feel like girls are suppose to eat slowly and carefully but I eat like a sumo wrestler. I'm not like crazy fat or anything, I'm 5'8 and 125 so I don't really think its an emotional eating type thing. its just a horrible habit. does anyone have any tips on how to eat slower? or should I just keep trying to make myself more conscious of it?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• watch TV while you eat, something to distract you so you eat slower. try eating with your weak hand. take frequent sips of your drink while you eat. being conscious of it should help too

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I know what you mean. I do the same thing and I think that some people just don't have an off switch, which makes it hard to manage.

MY best advice would be to eat with smaller utensils. For example, if I am eating ice cream, I take just a level spoonfull at a time as oppose to heaping spoonfulls.

1|0
    0|0
  • don't get fooled by girls eating like birds in public-most of them eat like pigs at home.

try counting how many times you chew,35 is recommended,but you don't have to go all ''math'' on your food,the point is to slow down.

1|1
    0|0
    • I think the chewing advice is a really good one.

• if you're eating that fast you may not be chewing your food thoroughly, The major thing is just to make sure you are chewing your food thoroughly. Digesting properly that's like the whole point of eating slowly.

• Eating fast isn't a problem. Eat at the pace you're happy with eating.

The only problem is not feeling full from eating too fast, and overeating.

Instead of trying to force yourself to slow down your eating, you can instead simply drink water.

Have Two (2) tall glasses of water before each meal, and then another tall glass considering on to eating something "more" that's not on your plate.

You can eat right and get hydrated at the same time :D

0|0
    0|0
  • I've heard taking a sip of water between each bite helps you slow down when you are eating. I've never tried it before though.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can understand your problem. Even I was encountering the same thing before. But after some time, I started to distract my attention to something else while having my food. That helped me to slow down a bit. I may advice you to do the same thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I talk a lot when I am having meals, that always slows me down, making me the last person to finish my meal every time. Sometimes, I got embarrassed by finishing too slow.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just eat more cause when I'm in public I feel so embarrassed

0|0
    0|0
  • Why do you care?

0|0
    0|0
    • Because its unladylike for girls to eat fast.

• Hardly.

Eat however you wish.

But if it seriously bothers you, just understand that there's no urgency to finish your plate as fast as you can. You have all the time in the world.

• I eat kind of fast but my best friend eats super fast. If I talk to him to slow him down while he is eating he will. Have a friend help pace you and slow it down. Practice enough with a friend then you can do it yourself.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes