Do you believe in aliens?

My boyfriend and I were watching a scifi movie tonight and the subject came up about whether or not aliens exist. He thinks they absolutely do not exist and we are the only species in the entire universe, because god chose to make us in his image, therefore we are the only ones. I on the otherhand think that's incredibly absurd, I believe there are many worlds out there with life at all different stages of evolution and believe we have already been visited by beings. We quarreled over it for awhile then came to a standstill lol. What is your belief and opinion?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say it's pretty probable..

I mean, if you look at what life really is, at its most basic form, that would probably be the result when life began, it's just a chemical interaction, right? Self-sustaining and self-replicating molecules. Shazam! Secret of life right there... ;p

So if we accept that (and good luck arguing against it), then any place that would fulfil the necessary ingredients, will have the process of life emerging. If the requirements are met (planet is in the Goldilocks zone, certain set of organic compounds are present, add water and energy), then like any other chemical reaction, life WILL start. It's inevitable. It HAS to, like mentos and diet coke HAS to make a fountain. It's just what it does...

Plus, we even know that organic compounds can be found on meteorites, so we know the possibility is out there. Stronger still: the beginnings of life may have been on those meteorites and have bombarded down on earth one day. In a way, WE could be the aliens :O. (also: look up Europa, the moon, as it's speculated that there might be life there)

And isn't that just cool? Isn't that humbling, in a way, to know that we once were those simple things? That we still ARE these things, in a way? To know that we are the intermittent result of a process emergent from the very properties and workings of the universe itself? As Carl Sagan said: "We are a way for the universe to know itself"... Kinda gives you goosebumps even thinking about it, doesn't it?

As for god having made us in his image, therefore we are the only ones? Blehh.. Religion.. It's one of those claims that's so out of touch with reality you don't even have to debate it (hell, I sometimes can't even tell if the people claiming it are trolling or not).

Bottom line is: we've done the science, we have looked (and to this day continue to look) at reality so very deeply that we have a much better idea nowadays of what happened and what might have happened than any religion can claim. You can hardly argue it, in as much as you can argue a thermometer about what temperature it is.

I'll just quote Richard Feynman here: https://www.YouTube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cRmbwczTC6E#t=213s

And us being visited? I'm pretty skeptical about that. I've seen no credible evidence whatsoever, really, and the stories that people do tell, the so-called eye witness testimonies, sound like a science fiction story, and a pretty bland and uninteresting one at that.. Hardly something highly advanced civilizations would do, I'd imagine.

Anyhow, I'll just finish off by leaving this (Carl Sagan is a Boss; if you have time, watch the entire series... the guy is so eloquent and catchy in expressing his ideas and passion it's unbelievable, plus the music and visuals have certainly left me with a lump in the throat multiple times): https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=EHuve33yOVY&feature=relmfu (this one happens to be on SETI, so it's on-topic, don't worry ;p)

JM2C,

Tim

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Just say that it would be absurd if there are no life in this universe with so many chances. Even if he thinks god created life on earth scientists actually have plausible theories on how life CAN be created from the right environment.

In other words. To our knowledge life can actually be created by natural processes and with the universe so large with so many earth-like planets and under such a large time frame it is almost impossible for it not to happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have a concrete belief either way. I think it's entirely possible, even probable, that there's other life out there. Not necessarily that there is beyond a shadow of a doubt, but to say it's completely impossible seems a little absurd.

0|0
    0|0
  • There IS life other than life on Earth. You'd have to be pretty ignorant to believe otherwise. There are billions of galaxies in the universe, billions of solar systems in those galaxies, at least one star in each solar system and the chance at 0-10 planets per star. If 1% of those planets were in the habitable zone and 1% of THOSE had the chemical make-up for life, there'd still be billions of planets with the potential for life in the universe. That doesn't mean it's intelligent life, for one. It doesn't mean it's technologically intelligent for two. But there HAS to be life elsewhere, it's impossible for there not to be.

It's also been suggested that technologically intelligent life lasts only a few thousand years before the race kills itself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like Star Trek, but I prefer the bleak view of Red Dwarf: We are alone because life sucks like that :P

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell him this, If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

I believe on life on other planets for sure, if they are intelligent that's the second question. Just hope they are friendly.

Why they haven't contacted us, could only be that we aren't smart enough to be contacted or we should prove ourselves that we are better at living in peace with each other and other sentient beings.

I myself think if they are intelligent, it would make no sense that they would be friendly.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm 99,9% sure there is life beyond Earth, but I'm also sure by the same amount that we will never hear or find any traces of them, because the Universe is so vast that even a lifetime of million years while traveling with the speed of light won't be enough to explore even a little part of it all.

But despite the vast space all that 'everything' is made of similar matter and the same laws of physics apply everywhere - so if the life could arise here on Earth, it also could somewhere else aswell.

1|0
    0|0
  • You should watch the movie "Signs", especially the part where the father and the uncle are sitting and whispering their conversation

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes of course.

0|0
    0|1
  • there is life out there

0|0
    0|1
  • Like Gods, there is no evidence to suggest that Aliens exist.

However, if they do indeed exist, it's incredibly unlikely that they have the ability to travel between galaxies. The idea of quick and easy space travel is frequently postulated in Sci-Fi novels and movies, but it always relies on some mythical element that doesn't actually exist.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not his fault, he's been brainwashed into believing that stuff since he was a child and could fully understand how to think or the difference between right and wrong,

Once religion sets hold there is no way to use logic and reasoning

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow I had the same talk with my girlfriend today. I swear to lol "god". We saw some crazy stuff in the sky today that I can't explain now would anyone believe. I personally feel that there must be some kind of life in some galaxy somewhere considering there are an infinite # of galaxies.

0|0
    0|0
    • I would think that beings which are far more advanced then us would have better things to do then fly around earth waiting for someone to bring a camera or something.

• I did not say I saw aliens today but if you saw what I saw you would be amazed. It was truly odd. I have lived a few years and never saw ANYTHING like it ever ever and maybe never will again

• Both options are kind of incredible.

First option - that in all the trillions of galaxies out there, and the 100's of billions of stars in each galaxy, that there is only one on which intelligent life evolved... That would be incredible.

The second option, that the universe is teeming with life at different levels of development and evolution, is also incredible.

God chose to make us in his image... okay... people like that shouldn't be allowed to talk about science.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes