Ethinc Diversity and Ethnic Conflict?

it might be presumed that more diversity should mean more conflict. Is this commonsense assumption actually valid? Look at a few countries that have low, medium, and high degree of diversity, and then determine whether or not there is a clear relationship between the level of diversity and conflict.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• That seems like a lot of work. Why don't you do it and tell us what you find.

For the record, my bet is on 'medium' though it depends how you measure the categories.

When things are -very- mixed, everyone's different, its just how things are.

When its very homogeneous, there's little opportunity for issues.

When there are a few large groups, or a large group and a very identifiable minority group, I suspect your potential for 'us vs. them' is highest. In the very high diversity case, there's no 'us', in the very low diversity case, there is no 'them'.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It isn't about the diversity itself, it's about the tolerance of that diversity.

Essentially, it's about the mindset of the people. I've read that some countries require you prove tolerance before granting citizenship (e.g. the film Dutch immigrants have to watch to demonstrate respect for the liberal attitude there).

0|0
    0|0
  • Not true. Isolated islands like Japan sure did not hold back against their own ethnicity back in the day nor have anyone else. They just find something else to divide people in "Us vs Them". That is all it is about.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally, I think diversity only works up to a point. If a country is too diverse, it fractures apart into smaller, more homogeneous countries, which makes you wonder what the point of diversity is in the first place. I've always found it funny that Western politicians talk about diversity as something good in the West, yet they don't call for more diversity in Africa and Asia, because they know that there it has failed. That makes you wonder why they wan't it here then. I live in Canada but my family's from Britain, and what I've found is that in Britain, where almost everyone is white, there is a sense of community and everyone seems to get along. Meanwhile, in Vancouver, where I live, and where non-whites form about a third of the population, everyone hunkers down in their own neighbourhoods and don't really talk to each other, and people in Vancouver are actually quite unfriendly. So personally, I think all this "multiculturalism" is a bunch of crap and we should abandon it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes