Why do they mention the HPV vaccine at the Doctor's office?

It was so awkward.. like um... I don't sleep around, so I don't need it... weird.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• That's like saying you don't need to know what condoms are because you don't sleep around. It's always best to be as informed as possible when it comes to your health, even if you don't need to utilize all the information. And it's a doctor's responsibility to acknowledge that and do what they can to help. Besides, you don't need to sleep around to catch- or spread- HPV. It's an extremely common common disease, and even if you just sleep with one person in your lifetime, you could get it. It's also very dangerous because it can result in cancer. Even children who aren't sexually active are often vaccinated for HPV, because it's becoming a serious problem. So don't feel insulted when your doctor brings it up.

2|0
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• You don't get it from sleeping around. You don't get STDs from sleeping around.

HPV is incredibly common and it is so common that many girls get it, their body clears it up before they even know they had it. You can get it via skin to skin contact, meaning a condom doesn't always protect you.

Keep in mind, all it takes is ONE exposure to an std to catch it, same thing with getting pregnancy. All it takes is once.

1|2
    0|0
  • When I was in college, my very religious roommate's mother was offended her children were offered it "They don't sleep around!! This will make them think they can now?"

No, that's not how it works. It's like saying you've never gotten the flu before, so you don't need the vaccine.

I got the HPV vaccine and I'm VERY happy about it (and I don't sleep around either)

0|0
    0|0
  • HPV is extremely common - if you've had or will have even one partner, then it's something you should care about. Information is always valuable.

1|0
    0|0
    • The Doc didn't freak me out enough. I looked it up and now I am terrified!

• This virus is ccomon even without intimate sexual contact...and if you sleep with anyone the odds of getting it go way up.

1|0
    0|0
  • you do need the HPV vaccine! Its from boys and girls ages 9-26 years old and protects you against 4 types of HPV regarldess if you sleep around or not. a lot of men harbor HPV and there is no test for it for men so get it done

1|0
    0|0
  • It's recommended even you don't sleep around. They're also recommended for kids to have one as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • I work got an ob/gyne doc and suggest you duo get that vaccine. It is worth it.

Certain human papillomavirus (HPV) types cause cancer, including: cervical, vulvar, vaginal, penile, anal, and oropharyngeal (base of the tongue, tonsils and back of throat) cancers. Certain HPV types also cause most cases of genital warts in men and women.

HPV is a common virus that is easily spread by skin-to-skin contact during sexual activity with another person. It is possible to have HPV without knowing it, so it is possible to unknowingly spread HPV to another person.

I have HPV and have needed extra tests after my PAPs have come back abnormal, and have seen s other tests and they are painful. Protect yourself!

When looking online use webmd or cdc for future searches. They are reliable and accurate.

0|0
    0|0
    • I am not sexually active.

• -.-

0|0
    0|1
  • HPV is incredibly common, and you probably already have it. Seriously.

It's undetectable in men, and they don't test women for it until they either have an abnormal pap, or they hit 30 years old. Until that time, they don't even bother. You could have HPV for over a decade and never show symptoms of it.

Many women contract it the very first time they have sex, and it's been postulated that over 80% of sexually active women will contract it in their lifetimes, so unless the only person you've ever had sex with was a virgin, then there's a good chance that you've already got it.

1|0
    0|0
    • I have never had sex.

• Well, that would be the time when they recommend the vaccine. It doesn't really work once you've started.

• Just in case one day you do start sleeping around. I find this weird because there are many different strains of HPV. So do they just vaccinate for the most common one?

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it's extremely common. You don't have to sleep around to get it. Look it up, then maybe you'll want to get the vaccine. I thought you only got it if you were sexually active until I looked up everything about it and found out that's not the case.

1|0
    0|0
  • cuz they make money off it. that sh*t is expensive.

0|0
    0|1
  • Because you don't need to sleep around to catch it. It is so common. A recent study suggests that 50% of people have it. I don't know how true it is but 20 years ago one in 10 had it. Ten years later it was one in 5. The reason is spreads so easily is that by far the majority of people never know they have it and condoms cannot protect you from it. I have had sex with just my husband but he was not a virgin when we married so for all I know I have it but it's too late for me to get a shot.

I can't post a link because I am new here but google 50% of men have hpv and you will come across some links to the study.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes