Why do Asian guys like girls with fairer skin?

Why do most Asian guys like girls who have fairer skin? Some of them doesn't want to date girls who have darker skin. What is the reason really?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It boils down to culture. In Asian countries, fair skin was associated with high status, because in order to get fair skin in those days, one had to be royalty or nobility, or a wealthy merchant family, which allow a person to be indoors and out of the sun for much of their life. Commoners on the other hand had to work outdoors, on farms, fishing, contruction, or whatever, and by spending most of their days in the sun, they developed darker tones.

In spite that modern society, most jobs are indoors, tradition dies hard, and fair skin is still seen as a status symbol. In India, they have "skin bleaching" cream which actually is toxic and doesn't work, but millions of Indian women still use it so they can appear as a higher caste.

This is one of the primary drivers many Asians seek white people, especially ones with darker tones, so at the least their children will have fair skin.

1|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• it's a cultural thing. just about every culture feels the same. it goes back to the days when darker skin meant you were poor and had to do outdoor labour (e.g. farming). fairer skin meant you were wealthier and didn't have to do physical labour.

I'm just surprised that the plump=wealthy=attractive notion didn't stick as widespread.

0|1
    0|0
    • Spot-on here. These cultural traits take a LONG time to reverse.

• Recently agrarian, so pale skin was associated with high status and being indoors.

Post industrial revolution, being pale in Europe became associated with working in a factory, and when air travel took off, being tanned became associated with having the money to fly south.

0|0
    0|0
    • i don't think you're right with being pale in Europe becoming associated with working in a factory... for one, most factories are in China rather than Europe. Even if there were factories in Europe, such a huge change as to which shade of skin is attractive or viewed as 'wealthy' would not happen quite so fast.

• I was referring more to the 1900s through 1980s impact which hasn't entirely disappeared.

• The wealthy(who never had to work outside) are typically pale

And it's the same reason Asian girls are obsessed with dating white guys. And the same reason many other cultures value lighter skin, though not pale

0|1
    0|0
  • Same reason that we like tan skin here in the Western world. It's the culturally constructed ideal of beauty. I need to go to Asia, apparently. I'm short and pale. They'd love me there.

0|1
    0|0
  • when I was in China everyone said how lighter color skin looked better than darker colored skin. If you had a tan friends made fun of you. I don't know why but that is how it was when I was there. I find many brown and dark skinned girls very pretty

0|0
    0|0
  • Hey I'm Cambodian so, I have NO issues with darker skin.

0|0
    0|0
    • yeah people forget that Asia is also Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines, Turkey too haha

• i just ask my boyfriend and he said if the girl has fairer skin she look prettier and cuter :(

0|0
    0|0
  • It's culture. I'm Chinese, and all my Chinese guy friends like dating the cutesy, petite, fair-skined Asian girls. I on the other hand am tall and tan, not your typical Chinese I guess. I seem to attract white guys more. Or maybe I'm attracted to them. Who knows haha!

0|0
    0|0
  • Just culture

0|0
    0|0
  • i think it depends on the person and their ethnicity. My boyfriend is Cambodian I'm Beyonce's color sometimes lighter and he doesn't care if I'm darker than him

0|0
    0|0
  • Because of the culture.

They think darker skin isn't has attractive.

And dating someone white, is dating up.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a class thing. For better or worse, fair skinned people are more like Caucasian people, and that is seen as Western, rich, successful, desireable.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes