Why do you think this is? (suicide facts)

Men commit suicide three times more frequently than women do. But women attempt suicide two to three times more often than men.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Men are more likely to use firearms and go through it where as women will attempt as a means of attention

We had to study Durkheim and suicide in my sociology class

1|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• There's actually genuine research out there on this topic. The two main reasons:

- Men are simply more "successful" in their attempts because they use more violent means, such as choosing a gun rather than a overdose on pills.

- Men are much less likely to seek out help for their problems because they're taught not to talk as freely about their emotions. It's difficult for anyone to talk about depression, but men run the extra risk of feeling like a "p****."

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it's not socially acceptable for men to be weak, and because women are more impulsive even if not fully committed to it. Men tend to use decisive suicide means and execution (such as a gun or jumping off a building), while women do not (overdosing on random pills that won't necessarily kill).

0|2
    0|0
  • I think MrOracle is spot-on. Most women do suicide attempts, to gain attention because they feel ignored.

More often than not, men will commit suicide and actually do a "no nonsense" method, like shooting themselves.

Women will do more things like taking a lot of pills or drinking bleach...which have more "delay" in their "results they are seeking".

0|1
    0|0
  • Women talk about killing themselves mostly for attention and the ones that talk about killing themselves are the ones that don't really want to do it. Men never talk about killing themselves just do it cause they don't see another way out of a tough situation. the men that I knew about that killed themselves didn't tell a soul and everyone was shocked when they found out cause no one knew they were suicidal or even unhappy

0|0
    0|0
  • Many women who commit suicide really just want attention, and I suppose they usually get it, assuming they fail in their attempt to kill themselves. Many novels written for a female audience romanticize suicide as well, so I think many girls try it without being really serious about it.

Men are used to getting stuff done. They understand the physics of how it would work, and many have somewhat rational reasons (to escape prison, torture, public shame and disgrace, etc.) for committing suicide. In other words, they aren't doing it for attention, they're doing it because they want to die, rather than whatever the other alternative is. So, they use the right tools and the right methods and make sure they do the job right the first time. For men, not getting it done right once you make an attempt is itself shameful.

0|2
    1|0
    • "They understand the physics of how it would work" ?

• Meaning, they don't choose suicide methods that are likely to fail. If they hang themselves, they get enough height and a strong rope. If they slash their wrists, they cut the proper way (lengthwise). If they jump off a building, they pick one high enough to cause death. If they use a gun, they get the angle and aim right.

Many of women's attempts fail, both because they don't really WANT to succeed, and to some degree because they don't understand how to do it right.

• Because men know what they want, hah but seriously when women do it it's not that they want to die, it's a cry for help. The reason men succeed more is, I think they don't often talk to their friends and vent to them in the way females do.

0|0
    0|0
  • It actually has more to do with the methods. Females usually cut there wrists and swallow pills. Which people rarely ever die from. Where as men use Firearms and hanging. Far more lethal methods. And thus more frequent Death. Another thing that's intresting is 78% percent of all male suicides are white men. While only 22 percent are black. No one really knows why. (insert small penis joke)

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe when men plan it out they have all the intentions of doing it without any chance of surviving. I think most women I believe it was use methods that aren't as painful.

0|0
    0|0
  • Huh I didn't know the women attempt thing. I think with men we don't really have a support group. We are not highly valued in society other than to be drones to do labor; that defines our value. So all but the top 10% of guys have value in society. So if we lose our personal happiness no one really cares and the people that are around us just expect us to toughen up. Same reason when a girl toddler falls and cries everyone is there for her. A boy falls down and is told to toughen up. I could go on but I'll stop.

Why women attempt more though? I'm just going to go ahead and be sexist and say they are more emotional and will make a decision they are not 100% behind and be able to pull back easier. Guys if we decide to make such a major decision we mean it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it's because women use it for attention. They have the suicide thoughts, but they aren't strong enough for suicide. Men figure it out quickly and do what has to be done.

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't know if its fair to say 'women do it as a cry for help'. I'm not sure they consciously do that.

But I think its true that women more do it from a purely emotional place, and simply put themselves in a situation where 'maybe they'll never wake up'. and let people find them and rescue them.

Men don't want to look weak and don't do that very often. If they decide they want to kill themselves, they plan it out and ensure success.

That's why women are 'trying' so much more often. At the point women are trying, most men wouldn't do anything.

As for why men -actually- commit suicide three times as often, I'd guess its because men tend to actually have bigger problems with mental illness, weaker social/emotional support networks and are less likely to get help with their problems.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe both genders want to die equally but women are more scared.

0|0
    0|0
  • men take more drastic measures to get it done, with little chance they will not be successful,

0|0
    0|0
  • Women tend to try and overdose. Men tend to use guns or hang themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't surprise me honestly

0|1
    0|0
  • Because men are better at it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's all in the weather

0|0
    0|0
  • Men plan it out better.

0|0
    0|0
  • those women really don't want to commit suicide

0|0
    0|0
  • Judging from some men's answers, they see some kind of twisted pride in committing suicide and think that being in emotional turmoil is a pathetic call for unneeded attention. I some think men are afraid of being weak and that many feel that some sort of revenge or display of anger will be gained if they kill themselves. I think that's reflected in the fact of mass murders, who are often men. They want to die, but they also want their rage to be heard.

Also, something the stats don't show, but I've read is significant -- many females who attempt suicide once do it several times. The more time they try, the more likely that they'll eventually kill themselves. But that ups the statistics for women.

Also, I've read that some women are more likely to consider what happens after the suicide. They don't want to leave a mess for whoever finds them, etc. Which is why they may try less violent methods.

0|0
    0|0
  • For women, it's a drama queen cry for help. They take pills or slash their wrists the wrong way.

For men, it's because women have ruined our lives, and we're getting the job done. Shotgun to the mouth, or nosedive off the 12th floor.

0|2
    0|0
  • I thought it was four times as often.

Girls are probably using the "suicide attempts" as a cry for help. Society is not yet conducive to men airing out their problems in such a way. There's much less coddling for them.

0|1
    0|0
  • Women do it for attention. Men do it because they have nothing left.

1|1
    1|0
  • The main reason is that men use much more extreme measures (e.g gun.). Learned it in psychology class :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Women attempt it more because they're not really wanting to go through with it. While men are actually successful at it because they use more proven successful methods of suicide such as women commonly use pills while men more commonly put guns to their heads.

0|0
    1|0
  • Women are more prone to depression but are less egotistical, prideful and more verbal so they will seek help. More often. Men are less likely to discuss their problems and women will "attempt" suicide as a cry for help.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes