Celiac, have you been tested for it?

I think that I can't take gluten because it causes a few symptoms for me and when I stopped taking it, those symptoms disappeared.

Since I KNOW that I feel much better after cutting gluten out of my diet, is there any reason why I should go for a colonoscopy to check if I have celiacs? Also to eat foods with gluten and feel like sh*t and then go for a blood test before the colonoscopy to confim whether I need one?

Isn't the only solution after being positive for celiacs is to not eat gluten? So if I don't eat it anyway, why do I need a test to confirm it? Is there something I'm missing here? Can they find something else out that could be wrong with my gut or something?

31

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been off of gluten for three and a half years already, after suffering through chronic pain for three or so years before that, and I have yet to be tested for Celiac, because honestly, there really is no point to it if you already know. You might get a very small percentage of the difference you pay for your food, versus regular food, back, but it's not even worth all of the paperwork.

Beyond that, it can take a very long time for the results to show up as what you already know is true. We had a family friend who waited 10 years for doctors to figure out what was wrong with him. And there was another older gentleman that my grandma knew, who recently died because he was only diagnosed in his 70's (and they believe he had the condition for the majority of his life), two weeks before he passed away.

• Hi! I have been taught at my college that if you have celiacs and gluten damages your villi, it cannot be repaired, however, on the internet it says it can recover... so do you have any ideas to which is correct?

That is really disappointing, I've read a few stories like that and I'm already furious that the doc would 'want' that to happen to me too (maybe he doesn't know the full extent of what our bodies have to go through).

Anyway, you probably get what I mean...

• About 1/3 of each flour. And it really depends on what you're planning on doing to it.

Ahhh. That sucks. I'm technically sensitive to eggs, too. But I notice that if I use organic, free run ones, I have no reaction.

Pretty sure bread could be made without gluten, egg and dairy, yes. But it'd be something you'd have to experiment with. I know I made some muffins without any of that a while back, and they turned out alright. You just have to figure out what substitutes work for you.

• It keeps not wanting to post my answer, and then posting it once I try again with a slightly different answer. Very annoying.

I've wanted to be a chef since I was 8, far before I got off gluten. And I'm actually pretty darn good at making gluten free food. I even experiment with other allergy free ideas (I have about a billion things I should be off of :/ )