Celiac, have you been tested for it?

I think that I can't take gluten because it causes a few symptoms for me and when I stopped taking it, those symptoms disappeared.

Since I KNOW that I feel much better after cutting gluten out of my diet, is there any reason why I should go for a colonoscopy to check if I have celiacs? Also to eat foods with gluten and feel like sh*t and then go for a blood test before the colonoscopy to confim whether I need one?

Isn't the only solution after being positive for celiacs is to not eat gluten? So if I don't eat it anyway, why do I need a test to confirm it? Is there something I'm missing here? Can they find something else out that could be wrong with my gut or something?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been off of gluten for three and a half years already, after suffering through chronic pain for three or so years before that, and I have yet to be tested for Celiac, because honestly, there really is no point to it if you already know. You might get a very small percentage of the difference you pay for your food, versus regular food, back, but it's not even worth all of the paperwork.

Beyond that, it can take a very long time for the results to show up as what you already know is true. We had a family friend who waited 10 years for doctors to figure out what was wrong with him. And there was another older gentleman that my grandma knew, who recently died because he was only diagnosed in his 70's (and they believe he had the condition for the majority of his life), two weeks before he passed away.

2|0
    0|0
    • Hi! I have been taught at my college that if you have celiacs and gluten damages your villi, it cannot be repaired, however, on the internet it says it can recover... so do you have any ideas to which is correct?

That is really disappointing, I've read a few stories like that and I'm already furious that the doc would 'want' that to happen to me too (maybe he doesn't know the full extent of what our bodies have to go through).

Anyway, you probably get what I mean...

• Show All
    • About 1/3 of each flour. And it really depends on what you're planning on doing to it.

Ahhh. That sucks. I'm technically sensitive to eggs, too. But I notice that if I use organic, free run ones, I have no reaction.

Pretty sure bread could be made without gluten, egg and dairy, yes. But it'd be something you'd have to experiment with. I know I made some muffins without any of that a while back, and they turned out alright. You just have to figure out what substitutes work for you.

• It keeps not wanting to post my answer, and then posting it once I try again with a slightly different answer. Very annoying.

I've wanted to be a chef since I was 8, far before I got off gluten. And I'm actually pretty darn good at making gluten free food. I even experiment with other allergy free ideas (I have about a billion things I should be off of :/ )

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I did the blood test but I didn't bother with getting scoped. I figure I'd rather just do the diet.

If the gluten free diet makes you feel better than you've already identified the problem. You could get tested (it's a duodenoscopy, by the way, not a colonoscopy) but what use will the results be to you? If it comes out positive you're going to have to do the diet anyway. If it comes back negative you'll probably still go on the diet because it makes you feel better. Why spend the money?

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for answering. That's what the doc called it, I've looked on the internet and it seems different docs tell you to get different things so yeah, I guess it could be a duodenoscopy as well.

Yep, I was wondering if there is any other benefit of testing it out the long way, like catching out some other problem.

So if there isn't, I also do not see the point in putting myself through all that just for the doc and other people to believe me.

• A colonoscopy goes up your, ahem, "rear end. It can only examine the colon and isn't useful for diagnosing celiac disease. In a duodenoscopy, the scope goes down your throat and they examine the duodenum (upper small intestine).

• Yup, that's what I read too, it said it wasn't meant for that as it can't reach haa.

• It's wise to get tested.

If it shows that you are not gluten intolerant that means that something else is wrong and they need to figure it out.

Going gluten free when you don't need to be isn't a good idea. Not only do you have to change your diet to avoid gluten but you also have to make sure that you aren't going to lose out on any important vitamins.

1|0
    0|0
    • I know there is something else wrong as well but I already know that gluten is a problem for me.. I originally wanted to be tested for more allergies (to be aware of them) but he wanted to test for celiacs first.

My diet is already quite restricted but in some sense a lot healithier, and this is due to allergies that I know of. Yeah, I wanted to know what else I needed to avoid so that I don't keep triggering my immune system... with knowing then I know what good foods I can have instead of

• having to be over conscious of everything I eat, examining what else could be the cause. Ty for your answer.

• thanks madmisskelly, I will do a test they do for 600 allergies online, plus one of the blood tests for celliac, because it sucks now feel specially in my spine, weakness,

• It's not necessary, if you feel better without gluten, don't eat it. The tests are only necessary if you need a title, because it could also be a gluten sensitivity or allergy.

I have celiacs disease, I had to get blood work and an biopsy. It was important for me to get tested because we didn't know it was gluten causing the problems and more of the symptoms are shared with Crohn's disease

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes