Are doctors overpaid?

Would we have more caring doctors if their incomes were reduced?

Seems like a lot of doctors are in it for the money. They don't have a genuine desire to help their patients.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• - Some doctors work because they like helping others.

- Some work just for money.

- Some work without money (volunteering).

- Some work because they love their work and what they do

and interested in what they have studied.

- Some are in it just to show off.

- Some work because someone encouraged them to work in this field

There're are many kinds of people, everyone has a different way of thinking,

and everyone has a purpose. You can't judge all of them like this!

But the ones who are sincere in there work,

this will be obvious when you see the results of their work

and how they treat their patients.

And at the end, doctors deserve it, because no one really knows how much the troubles they get through while studying medicine and after studying it... it's not easy. link

And don't you think there are easier ways to get even more money

than wasting 7 - 10 years of your life on studying to get that money?!

So I don't most of them are in it for money.

2|1
    0|0
    • I don't think*

• My friend told me that their professor told them:

to be a doctor you have to isolate yourself from even your social life

and just face your books and studies. :S

• ask me... I have to study for about 12 hrs per day.. and in exam times just 4 hrs sleeping.. my commerce field friends enjoying their college life right now... and I have to study for whole day long sitting in front of those monster size books lol :(

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Well... a good specialized doctor started to practice professionally around 30. They digested a ton of information and saw a ton of hard to look injuries, diseases and blows just to help people get better. And they spend countless nights helping all people who are on their watch when they work at the hospital. A single mistake of their part could ruin all of that sacrifice and even take their freedom.

If you went through that would you settle in for a sh*tty paycheck?

3|1
    0|0
  • If you had to go to university for 7 years, you'd want to make $100-150k a year too. If anyone is overpaid, it's athletes. NO athlete deserves to make more than a doctor. Kick a rubber ball around or save lives? HMMMMMM! All profession sport players should make no more than $100k a year. No wonder our economy is in the sh*tter. We don't know what to do with our money.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think reducing their pay will only make things worse...as a person that has to rely on doctors a lot, I've seen all types of doctors, and for the most part, I've had some really good ones.

I wish teachers were overpaid, because there are some real heartless teachers out there...

0|1
    0|0
  • They're paid however much hospitals consider enough. It's true there's a lot of dysfunction and corruption in the economic system regardless of what true-believing kool-aid-drinkers say, but the bottom line is you're not going to force anyone to genuinely care about something no matter what you pay or don't pay them.

1|0
    0|0
  • If they were paid less, there would be a lot less of them, which would make the remaining doctors a lot more valuable. So the remaining doctors, who would be the ones more willing to cure patients would be paid even more.

It's one of the natural laws.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, many of them care more about the status than abut really keeping up with developments and helping patients. Often they are on the phone about their latest real estate deal and keep you waiting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dude, I'm a medical student and I know how much psychological stress I am dealing with my studies.. In fact you should know that to become a post graduate doctor, it will require more than 15 years, and I already sacrificed my favorite hobbies just for studies and will also have to spend another 12 years doing study.. I'm not complaining but medical study course is most hard course rather than any other, and tests your patience and we have to perform surgery or medicinal treatment on living persons not machines, so many serious risks are involved... still you think we're doing it for just financial benefits?

2|1
    0|0
    • :(

In which year are you now?!

I suppose the 3rd year?

• Show All
    • Thanks for reminding me too, I was enjoying my life listening to music

and I forgot what should I do lol.

Study well. ^-^

• thnx.. you too :3

• The threat of being sued for malpractice is enough to keep most of them in line.

You don't step in and decide that X shouldn't be making that money because they don't work hard enough. The market decides that. Doctors work hard for their degrees and certifications and it takes many years out of their lives to finally have the priviledge of putting on that white coat. Are you willing to go through all that just for high pay and even high stress? The majority would say no.

Similarly, it goes for athletes and celebrities as well. You can hate them all you want but the fact is, people pay to see them, not you. If they really aren't worth the money and fame, they would fizzle out and end up jackin' it in San Diego (like the Invisible Children douche).

1|1
    0|0
  • if doctors were invested emotionally to every patient I would feel they would become emotionally very unstable.

Some doctors have studied for years and their college fees are NO joke. They are paid a lot because they are trained and benefit society. The money is great and that's what most people do it for but there are still a good amount of people who are in it to make positive impact on lives. Usually medical workers have no personal time either.

(It could be just me but I've been intimate with a couple of EMTs and all of them had to cancelled or disappeared because of work only to reappear later with 'apologizes' Though I love them in their uniforms and they were quite desirable, their time dedicated to their work has them almost undatable.)

I don't think we would have more caring doctors, doesn't matter if we have more caring doctors or not, the world needs them regardless and have standards. Become doctors is also no joke. Not everyone can be one.

2|1
    0|0
  • Actually doctors don't make THAT much money. Take into account their loans, plus malpractice insurance, plus private expenses such as kids, family, plus the lack of social life and constant exams and learning procedures, you have to LOVE THE JOB to do this. You have to be very interested in learning about cells, chemistry etc in order to withstand all of this. so doing it just for money is a challenge in itself because its hard to focus on something you don't even have interest in. Salary pages say that docs make huge amounts, but with everything paid, you will see that docs drive older cars than most people do and stay in regular homes like everyone else. Docs were rich in the 50's-80's, not any longer..

0|0
    0|0
  • no.. doctors deserve to be paid a lot in my opinion

0|1
    1|0
  • Unlikely. The way things are set up, with expensive tuition to go to med school, malpractice insurance, etc. all lowering the pay for doctors would do is make them cut more corners. They already cut tons of corners to get out of the room in under that 15 minute billable block. =P If you want cheaper pay for doctors, you need to build more medicals schools, lower medical school tuition, lower the entrance barriers to getting in, and increase the number of residency positions. There are plenty of good people interested in medicine that would be caring doctors, but they'll never make it to medical school. It's just the reality of it. So much is expected of you... When you have to sacrifice so much before you see your first dime, you obviously want to discover some sort of treasure when you get to the end of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just a bunch of perverts if you ask me.

0|0
    1|1
  • I agree with you, but they should get that money since they have to do so much schooling and are in a lot of debt before they even get to do anything. If they could reduce the amount it costs for getting into med school and allow people in solely through their own merit , then I think they should reduce the amount they are paid.

0|0
    0|0
  • Doctors only care about money these days.

1|1
    1|1
    • This is actually true for most of the people pursuing a career in medicine.

• They're important with an important job. They deserve what they are making

0|1
    1|0
  • We would have fewer doctors and fewer caring doctors if some authority limited their earnings.

0|0
    0|0
  • look, everyone needs a salary. do you think everyone has a genuine desire to help people, if their career involves that?

i'm becoming a lawyer. I'm interested in the law and I will be working with people. but I can't say that is my primary reason to become a lawyer-helping people. I like the law and working with it, I want to be educated, and I think I will enjoy the career.

if I was that motivated to just help people I would become a social worker, less time and effort involved.

i think you are a little bit idealistic and naive if you don't think people care about money.

0|1
    1|0
    • Since when did lawyers care about people?

They are the lowest of the low along with bankers and politicians.

• I wish I could down vote's comment the QA

I'm probably the lowest of the lowest of the low. I'm a former social worker, now in law school. And I'm not in it to help people, I'm in it for the money. Plain and simple.

• agreed!

• They shell out a lot of money for education so they need to be paid a higher salary just to pay off their loans.

I don't think there would be any fewer doctors who are bad at what they do if their pay was cut. Look at teachers. Nobody I'm aware of thinks they are paid too much but there are still tons out there who are terrible at it.

Just think about it, half of all doctors were in the bottom half of their graduating class. That will never change no matter what they are paid.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes